Author Topic: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?  (Read 23439 times)

Re: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I never got worked up by "bands" that couldn't play instruments and relied on others to do it. Monkees are the prime examples. I love their music.

And lest we forget, some of the best songs ever were created by "bands" that were mostly members singing vocals and not playing instruments, especially in concerts and appearances.

Even Milli Vanilli. Yeah, the two guys that were pushed as the people responsible for the music were a complete fraud, but I still love a few of their tunes, regardless of who and how it was recorded.

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2022, 09:49:03 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I never got worked up by "bands" that couldn't play instruments and relied on others to do it. Monkees are the prime examples. I love their music.

And lest we forget, some of the best songs ever were created by "bands" that were mostly members singing vocals and not playing instruments, especially in concerts and appearances.

Even Milli Vanilli. Yeah, the two guys that were pushed as the people responsible for the music were a complete fraud, but I still love a few of their tunes, regardless of who and how it was recorded.

If you've never seen "The Wrecking Crew" it's worth watching!  Great documentary about a group of LA-based session musicians responsible for an unreal amount of the instrumentals on recordings from the 60's and 70's.

Also, I haven't seen it but I discovered "Twenty Feet from Stardom" (documentary about backup singers) when reading about Merry Clayton - the amazing female voice heard on Gimme Shelter (amazing song).  I'm looking forward to finding it and watching.

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If you've never seen "The Wrecking Crew" it's worth watching!  Great documentary about a group of LA-based session musicians responsible for an unreal amount of the instrumentals on recordings from the 60's and 70's.

Also, I haven't seen it but I discovered "Twenty Feet from Stardom" (documentary about backup singers) when reading about Merry Clayton - the amazing female voice heard on Gimme Shelter (amazing song).  I'm looking forward to finding it and watching.
Have you seen "The Beatles: Get Back" documentary on Disney+? I found it exceptional. It's how they got together to make the music on the album Let It Be and did their first concerts in 2 years, including their rooftop concert in London. It's a three part series but truly excellent.

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2022, 10:03:35 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Beatles, Elvis, MJ

I’ve never heard anyone say a bad thing about Pink Floyd either.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:40:08 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2022, 10:18:38 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Have you seen "The Beatles: Get Back" documentary on Disney+? I found it exceptional. It's how they got together to make the music on the album Let It Be and did their first concerts in 2 years, including their rooftop concert in London. It's a three part series but truly excellent.

I did see Get Back.  I think the best description of me watching that would be thoroughly riveted.  Thought it was amazing.  The scene where Paul was creating Let it Be while other things were going on around him - almost in the background McCartney is creating this iconic song… I could have watched another 10 hours of it. 

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2022, 02:07:59 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Rolling Stones.

As a musical act, the music transcends the entire history of Rock, of which is rooted in the blues. They made their bones as a poor band living together in London. They actually played their own instruments on most recordings, wrote most of their own tunes, they invented what imitators are still trying to sell on comeback tours.

They then joyously gave back to the black musicians who's shoulders they stood upon. 

(Did someone actually say the Monkees? lol

Yeah. I did. Got a problem with that? ;)

No problem friend, didn't mean to rile your feathers: but just as Milli Vanilli didn't really sing, and Alex Baldwin surely pulled that trigger, and there ain't no Santa. The Monkees aren't a true rock band. And there's no law against enjoying the tunes written by Boyce and Hart and the music recorded by the Recking Crew and nobody will blame you. And the Monkees definitely sang those tunes. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

In fact...cheers to that Last Train to Clarksville.

You're fine. And I apologize for getting a bit riled. I know that the Monkees have a somewhat "controversial" background/origin according to certain people, but they were the first music act I connected with as a kid, and I still love them, and I feel like they often get slighted, through no fault of their own, and I always want to defend them. I mean, they started during the time when music acts had just begun the transition to writing their own music and playing their own instruments, so utilizing outside writers and musicians wasn't exactly taboo at that time—in fact, several other acts were still utilizing outside writers and/or session musicians at least sometimes, including the Beach Boys, yet didn't (and don't) receive the criticism the Monkees get.

And the Monkees, after their first two albums, fought for and gained control of their musical output, and did most of the playing on their third and fourth albums (Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd.) That, coupled with the fact that they did all of the playing on their early tours, is proof enough for me that they're a real rock group.

But, as the saying goes, art is subjective. I just like to make sure people know the whole Monkees story before they make any sort of judgment about them.

You're correct, the Beach Boys did use outside musicians on recordings. But there was a time the Beach Boys could play a live set (alone, without musicians on the side) and sound pretty good.

While the Monkees never played alone as a unit without studio musicians off to the side to help them not embarrass themselves. As to the second and third albums doing "most of the playing" excuse me if I remain suspect. Dolenz could't play drums at all, Tork couldn't play the simplest of bass lines. Mike Nezmeth could play guitar just enough to not look horrible, and eventually left the act because the other were without musical talent. ie he was embarrassed. (I also saw that youtube thing)

IMO a band is built by the musicians themselves, they grow together, they hang together, they toil and suffer together. The Monkees were put together by TV executives to reach a certain audience. The tunes were catchy, but if left to only listen to the Monkees on a deserted Island? eek!

But if the Monkees are what floats your boat, that's great...enjoy! Hopefully they'll lead you to a real band. 

People have the right to like or dislike any kind of music, and they don't even have to have a well-defined reason why they like or dislike a particular act. They're also free to define for themselves what they consider a "real band." As I said before, art is subjective. But several of your statements are factually incorrect.

But there was a time the Beach Boys could play a live set (alone, without musicians on the side) and sound pretty good.

While the Monkees never played alone as a unit without studio musicians off to the side to help them not embarrass themselves.

Throughout 1966 and '67, the Monkees played many concerts with just the four of them. They did the same during their 1996 Billboard Live reunion concert and throughout their 1997 UK reunion tour.

As to the second and third albums doing "most of the playing" excuse me if I remain suspect.

It was the third and fourth albums, and you can remain suspect if you want, but it's an indisputable fact that they did most of the playing on those two albums, in no small part to prove to people such as yourself that they were fully capable of doing that.

Dolenz could't play drums at all

Though he didn't learn the drums until after joining the Monkees, and was certainly never a great drummer, he could, and did, play the drums. There's plenty of footage of this on YouTube.

Tork couldn't play the simplest of bass lines.

Also demonstrably false. He played much more than the simplest of bass lines. He also was proficient with guitar, banjo, piano, organ, harpsichord, and French horn.

Mike Nezmeth could play guitar just enough to not look horrible

Mike Nesmith never claimed to be a superb guitar player, but he could play more than "just enough to not look horrible." Again, plenty of YouTube evidence. And he wrote more than 140 songs (some for the Monkees, many more for other projects), including "Different Drum," which was a hit for Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys.

and eventually left the act because the other were without musical talent. ie he was embarrassed.

That's not why he left the Monkees. He left because he wanted to start his own country-rock group (The First National Band) and because the initial run of the Monkees was losing steam. I think there were times when he wanted to distance himself from the Monkees, but not because the other members lacked musical talent; it was because a lot of the "cool kids" in the music biz at that time had a low view of the Monkees, and he was serious about continuing to pursue a career in music. But over the last decade he put to bed whatever issues he had with the legacy of the Monkees, because he started touring with them again in 2012, after Davy Jones died, and he made it clear during the Monkees farewell tour last fall (it was just him and Micky) that he had come to embrace the Monkees legacy and was honored to be a part of it.

IMO a band is built by the musicians themselves, they grow together, they hang together, they toil and suffer together. The Monkees were put together by TV executives to reach a certain audience.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but despite the Monkees being put together by TV executives, they "hung together" and "toiled" a lot—15+ hours a day for the first couple of years, as they were pounding out song after song in the studio (more than 130 in that two-year period) AND filming 58 episodes of the TV show.

The tunes were catchy, but if left to only listen to the Monkees on a deserted Island? eek!

I'd probably get sick of ANY music artist if they were my only option on a deserted island, but the Monkees would be one of the last ones I'd tire of, considering they have more variety in their work than just about any other act ever. One of the perks of bringing together four strangers from different music/entertainment scenes is that they had four very different music backgrounds and styles—to boil it down, Mike was country-rock, Micky was pop-rock, Davy was music hall, and Peter was folk, and the Monkees catalog encompasses blends of all of those, as well as baroque, psychedelia, rhythm & blues, jazz, and Broadway.

But really, your initial comment "LOL"ing my mention of the Monkees as a group having broad appeal was a case of you conflating your low view of their "realness" with how popular they are. This thread isn't about origins, it's about appeal, but you "went there," so I felt the need to respond.

And to build on my initial mention of the Monkees ... though I don't think the Monkees are the most universally liked act, they have a lot of fans across the entire age spectrum, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't enjoy hearing "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," or "I'm a Believer."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2022, 03:07:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
"I'm a Believer" was written by Neil Diamond and twice went into the top 20, 30 something years apart. The original Monkees version and the Smash Mouth version. That Monkees version of the song, I believe, definitely is a universally loved type song. So props to the Monkees for giving the world that.

I earlier said my dislike of the Beach Boys, but I have to admit, they have a song or two that fall into that universally liked category. Sometimes it's okay to say a performer you don't care for does actually have some universally liked music. Another example, Mariah Carey. Not a fan of her music but she has some amazing songs. Hell, who doesn't like that Christmas album she did?

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bob Marley has to be high on the list.

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I still believe Michael Jackson is the best answer to this question but Yes Bob Marley is a good one.  I don’t care who you are, listening to his music will put you in a good mood.
Greg

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I still believe Michael Jackson the Beatles is the best answer to this question but Yes Bob Marley is a good one.  I don’t care who you are, listening to his music will put you in a good mood.
FIFY.  Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists
 :P  ;D

« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2022, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
ISLEY BROTHERS

https://youtu.be/LJ_snOkHeVk

Erine Isley

wow..

*sippin*

« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2022, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!