Poll

How many wins for the Celtics by the end of this regular season?

63-64
2 (3.2%)
61-62
2 (3.2%)
59-60
4 (6.3%)
57-58
3 (4.8%)
55-56
30 (47.6%)
53-54
11 (17.5%)
51-52
4 (6.3%)
49-50
4 (6.3%)
Less Than 49
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Poll: How Many Wins Do You Predict The Celtics Finish The Season With?  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So what do you guys think?

My Guess? They finish 55-27 (so 55 wins). Which means they finish 15-9 the rest of the way.

They are certaintly stuttering towards the break, but the fact that they lost Hayward 6 minutes into the season and still look poised to match last year's win total (or at least reach 50+ wins) is incredible.

That said, Hayward's absence is now being felt and the lack of a true #2 scorer is showing now, especially when playing against elite teams.

I have hope he comes back by late March-early April and plays off the bench as a legit scorer (and finishes games), but it also wouldn't surprise me if they held him out the rest of the year for precautionary reasons.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: How Many Wins Do You Predict The Celtics Finish The Season With?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
55 sounds right
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
55 sounds right

Question is, will 55 be enough for #1 seed, or will it only be #3 seed.

Frankly I think it will take 59-60 wins to get #1 seed in the East (welp).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
55 sounds right

Question is, will 55 be enough for #1 seed, or will it only be #3 seed.

Frankly I think it will take 59-60 wins to get #1 seed in the East (welp).

The Cavs would need to win 22 out of 27 remaining games in order to get to 55.

By comparison the Celts would need to go 15-9.

I highly doubt the Cavs will win 81.5% of their remaining games.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So what do you guys think?

My Guess? They finish 55-27 (so 55 wins). Which means they finish 15-9 the rest of the way.

They are certaintly stuttering towards the break, but the fact that they lost Hayward 6 minutes into the season and still look poised to match last year's win total (or at least reach 50+ wins) is incredible.

That said, Hayward's absence is now being felt and the lack of a true #2 scorer is showing now, especially when playing against elite teams.

I have hope he comes back by late March-early April and plays off the bench as a legit scorer (and finishes games), but it also wouldn't surprise me if they held him out the rest of the year for precautionary reasons.

I think part of this is that Tatum is just wiped right now because this is so much more basketball than he has ever played before. I think the break could really help him.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
55 wins without Hayward would be awesome.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
All.  All of the wins..
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Looking at the schedule I figure 14 wins and 10 losses, so I'd say 54-28.  A couple of losses in either direction wouldn't be all that surprising.

I can actually see the Cavs going 22-5.  I don't think they will, but their schedule is pretty weak.  They have 13 road games and one long road streak, but the only teams with winning records they play on the road are OKC, Denver, Portland, Miami, LAC, and Philly (not exactly a whose who).  At home they have Toronto and Washington twice each, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Philly, and New Orleans.  I can absolutely see them winning the vast majority of those games as well as all of their other games.  That said, while 22-5 is possible, I think they are much more likely to go 18-9, which puts them at 51-31.

Looking at their schedule, I think Toronto will lose between 8 and 10 games for a record ranging from 58-24 to 56-26, and thus think they will finish with the best record.     

Washington has an incredibly difficult schedule.  They will lose at least 10 more games, meaning they have no real chance to get the 3rd seed and could realistically fall out of the 4th seed.  The only reason they won't is Milwaukee also has a pretty difficult schedule.  I mean the Bucks have a long stretch to close the year where every 2 days they have a game in a different city starting at home against Atlanta March 17, then to Cleveland, then home (LAC), then to Chicago, then home (San An), then to LAC, then to San Fran, then to LAL (this one is back to back with the Warriors), then to Denver, then home for 2 games (Boston then BKN), then NY, then home (ORL), then Philly to close out the year.  I mean that is an awful way to close the season for the Bucks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Looking at the schedule I figure 14 wins and 10 losses, so I'd say 54-28.  A couple of losses in either direction wouldn't be all that surprising.

I can actually see the Cavs going 22-5.  I don't think they will, but their schedule is pretty weak.  They have 13 road games and one long road streak, but the only teams with winning records they play on the road are OKC, Denver, Portland, Miami, LAC, and Philly (not exactly a whose who).  At home they have Toronto and Washington twice each, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Philly, and New Orleans.  I can absolutely see them winning the vast majority of those games as well as all of their other games.  That said, while 22-5 is possible, I think they are much more likely to go 18-9, which puts them at 51-31.

Looking at their schedule, I think Toronto will lose between 8 and 10 games for a record ranging from 58-24 to 56-26, and thus think they will finish with the best record.     

Washington has an incredibly difficult schedule.  They will lose at least 10 more games, meaning they have no real chance to get the 3rd seed and could realistically fall out of the 4th seed.  The only reason they won't is Milwaukee also has a pretty difficult schedule.  I mean the Bucks have a long stretch to close the year where every 2 days they have a game in a different city starting at home against Atlanta March 17, then to Cleveland, then home (LAC), then to Chicago, then home (San An), then to LAC, then to San Fran, then to LAL (this one is back to back with the Warriors), then to Denver, then home for 2 games (Boston then BKN), then NY, then home (ORL), then Philly to close out the year.  I mean that is an awful way to close the season for the Bucks.

Another day, another Moranis post looking at Boston from a pessimistic perspective and Cleveland from an optimistic perspective.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Another day, another Moranis post looking at Boston from a pessimistic perspective and Cleveland from an optimistic perspective.

Shocking, I know.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
put me down as the optimist.  I say 56 wins (16-8 rest of the way).   Marcus coming back and some Brad Stevens magic down the stretch.  It will be close with Toronto I believe, no idea if we will be 1 or 2.

56-26

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I guess it depends. If the last four games are an indication of who they're becoming (two blowout losses against good teams, a narrow loss and a narrow win against mediocre teams)  it's going to be rough sledding.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yea it really is over the top. Everyone on the board knows what the post is going to say before it is finished. TP potter for being here and honest.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That wasn't that at all.  I looked at the schedule.  I could easily see Boston going anywhere from 16-8 to 12-12, so I went in the middle at 14-10.  I think Boston pretty clearly will be the underdog in these 7 games so I made those 7 losses - @ Houston, @ Minnesota, Oklahoma City, @ Portland, @ Milwaukee, @ Toronto, @ Washington.  I think Boston will lose at least 1 of these games and feel 3 losses is reasonable - LAC, @ Detroit, Indy, Washington, @ New Orleans, @ Utah (the last game in a 4 game trip), Toronto.

Cleveland on the other hand has far fewer sure loss type games, 1 of which is their next game @ Oklahoma City.  I think these are the other games that Cleveland would be the underdog or at least could easily lose - San Antonio, @ Denver, @ LAC, @ Portland, @ Miami, @ Philly, though I would expect them to win a couple of those.  The other games that will be difficult are Washington at home twice, Toronto at home twice, Denver, Detroit, New Orleans, and Milwaukee.  I don't see them losing more than 4 of those home games and 2 or 3 is probably more realistic.  I figured they would pick up another loss or two to a lesser team along the way and thus see a 18-9 finish as about right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
51 wins, second-round exit. Great defense, but not enough offense generated to beat elite teams in the postseason.

And you need good offense to win championships.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)