Author Topic: trade KI or trade for JB?  (Read 8969 times)

Re: trade KI or trade for JB?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Much ado about nothing.

Not to mention Minny is preparing a max offer for Butler.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-timberwolves-offering-jimmy-butler-052155053.html
That's the same extension that Kyrie is also refusing to sign, both players can make a lot more money if they wait till next off season and opt out becoming FAs.

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This Irving to Minnesota thing has been talked about before. I could see that deal happening a lot more than Butler coming to the C's.

I'd actually do the Kat for Irving deal after what just happened with Warriors. No one is winning against that team for a while so stock up on young growing stars.

Cousins is going to be in GS for 1 season, half of which will be rehabbing from an Achilles rupture. People need to stop panicking.

It's not panicking it's coming to terms with the reality of the situation. Even before Cousins it was a very long shot to win against the Warriors for at least 2 years. And with Irving not saying anything like "I'mean here to stay" I'm not committed to that player.

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This Irving to Minnesota thing has been talked about before. I could see that deal happening a lot more than Butler coming to the C's.

I'd actually do the Kat for Irving deal after what just happened with Warriors. No one is winning against that team for a while so stock up on young growing stars.

Cousins is going to be in GS for 1 season, half of which will be rehabbing from an Achilles rupture. People need to stop panicking.

It's not panicking it's coming to terms with the reality of the situation. Even before Cousins it was a very long shot to win against the Warriors for at least 2 years. And with Irving not saying anything like "I'mean here to stay" I'm not committed to that player.

Like I've said in many threads, I'm not expecting Kyrie to make any longterm declarations here before signing a new deal until Danny Ainge goes on record saying "We're not trading Kyrie under any circumstances". And we all know Danny will never do such a thing. So we can stop expecting one-sided loyalty? Ask Isaiah Thomas how that worked out for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Count me in for an Irving for KAT swap. Horford won't last forever and I am confident enough in our current guard core that I don't think the hit would be that hard. KAT would also be a bit cheaper than Irving.

If not KAT, then I'd obviously be in favor of an AD deal and possibly a Kawhi deal. I like Irving and am more than happy to re-sign him, but I am not going to feel comfortable until he signs on the dotted line. I just wish he could make a promise. It isn't ridiculous given the current circumstances of our team moving forward.

I don't think Minny trades KAT. He's their franchise player. From our end, I would much rather have Kyrie leading us in the playoffs than Rozier.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wouldnt be surprise to see both Butler and Irving in New York next season
I would Knicks don't have that sort cap space.  Chicago on the other hand can easily create the room. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Totally agree. Why even bother having a season? Let's just give GSW next season's championship and get it over and done with.

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Since Lebron isn't going to Philly, some of you have got to find some new boogeyman to fret over.

Jimmy Butler's going back to Chicago? Kyrie's leaving Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, Jayson Tatum, Al Horford, and Gordon Hayward to go to the dumpster fire that has been the Bulls?

Good heavens.

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Since Lebron isn't going to Philly, some of you have got to find some new boogeyman to fret over.

Jimmy Butler's going back to Chicago? Kyrie's leaving Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, Jayson Tatum, Al Horford, and Gordon Hayward to go to the dumpster fire that has been the Bulls?

Good heavens.

yeah you're right, we haven't seen players/friends team up lately by joining teams with cap space (knicks/nets) cough cough...totally out of the question
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:12:05 PM by matteo »

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Agreed ETN, all you can do is put yourself in the best position to retain your FA.

I think the C's have done very well last season with Kyrie, no reason for panicky trades or anything like that. I haven't heard a well sourced report from the C's side that they are worried about Kyrie, could be a front but I doubt it.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Good heavens.

yeah you right, we haven't seen players/friends team up lately by joining teams with cap space (knicks/nets) cough cough...totally out of the question
Kyrie sounds legitimately excited to play with Hayward and contend again next year. Unless that goes downhill suddenly I don't see why he wouldn't want to stick around.

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Good heavens.

yeah you're right, we haven't seen players/friends team up lately by joining teams with cap space (knicks/nets) cough cough...totally out of the question

Yep it’s a new age of NBA player movement. There’s already rumors of Durant possibility looking at NY as well. The days of guys staying in one city for long are over.

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm at the point of indifference regarding Kyrie's upcoming free agency.  Ainge has done an absolutely phenomenal job of putting this team together.  If Kyrie leaves it will be due to factors beyond the Celtics control.

Let's assume that the Kyrie and Butler rumors are true.  I'm certainly not moving Jaylen Brown in a deal for Butler simply to appease Kyrie.  If Ainge believes Butler is a better player for the long term then that's a different story.

Worst case scenario we resign Rozier if Kyrie bails.  Danny also has more than enough assets to pull off another big move if the opportunity presents itself.   

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Good heavens.

yeah you right, we haven't seen players/friends team up lately by joining teams with cap space (knicks/nets) cough cough...totally out of the question
Kyrie sounds legitimately excited to play with Hayward and contend again next year. Unless that goes downhill suddenly I don't see why he wouldn't want to stick around.

He does. But he also seems very noncommittal towards the future.

He could easily put the notion of leaving to bed by saying he will resign next offseason when it makes sense financially. Instead he keeps the idea of walking open, insisting he is only concentrating on the upcoming season.

He’s a weird personality and verified troller, so I don’t know what to make of anything he says publicly. I hope Danny and Brad have had productive talks and if either have even the slightest bit of doubt that he will resign next summer, I’d move him before the deadline.

Win or lose, we don’t know how he will react. He’s the type who can win and feel like he did his job and onto the next. Losing him for nothing would set us back some.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If your policy is to trade anyone you have any doubt of resigning in FA, then you are just going to trade every player in the last year of his contract.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Good heavens.

He does. But he also seems very noncommittal towards the future.

He could easily put the notion of leaving to bed by saying he will resign next offseason when it makes sense financially. Instead he keeps the idea of walking open, insisting he is only concentrating on the upcoming season.

He’s a weird personality and verified troller, so I don’t know what to make of anything he says publicly. I hope Danny and Brad have had productive talks and if either have even the slightest bit of doubt that he will resign next summer, I’d move him before the deadline.

Win or lose, we don’t know how he will react. He’s the type who can win and feel like he did his job and onto the next. Losing him for nothing would set us back some.

A lot can change over the course of a year, why should he commit himself now without a contract? Isaiah Thomas waxed poetic about being here longterm, then got traded when a better player became available.

People were so sure Paul George was bolting OKC after the season, he never committed one way or the other during the season to keep his options open, but re-upped after the season ended.

Kyrie has said how much he enjoys playing here, how much he respects Brad Stevens, how he's locked into this upcoming season, how much he enjoys his teammates, but he's going to wait until free agency to make any longterm decisions. I really struggle to see why that's so unfair for some people. Why do we need him to pinky promise us right now?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman