Author Topic: Responses to Super off topic, off topic thread  (Read 705223 times)

Re: Responses to Super off topic, off topic thread
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
cheap meanginless post for the big 4-tre zero

also 400-4000 FTW.

A flawless 10/1 ratio!

love cheap meaningless posts
they rule!  ;D

p.s. just like this one
P.S.S. Redz andss yours truly have a Phd on that matter.

Edgar, I have pretty much given up on meaningful posts (I think I'm serious  ::) )
Yup

« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
As for the Sith vs Fellowship argument...You can't be serious?

With all the odds that were stacked against the Fellowship they still prevailed.  I don't care if you had a thousand Darth Vaders and a mega-sized Sauron teamed up, the Fellowship finds a way.  They're crafty, and they have serendipity on their side.  They don't lose...Period.

Good conquers evil in the end.

Happy endings rule!
Yup

« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
cheap meanginless post for the big 4-tre zero

also 400-4000 FTW.

A flawless 10/1 ratio!

could be an omen...like the sign of the rapture...or POB actually knowing how to play basketball.

you know, big things like that...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
As for the Sith vs Fellowship argument...You can't be serious?

With all the odds that were stacked against the Fellowship they still prevailed.  I don't care if you had a thousand Darth Vaders and a mega-sized Sauron teamed up, the Fellowship finds a way.  They're crafty, and they have serendipity on their side.  They don't lose...Period.

Good conquers evil in the end.

Happy endings rule!

howe about this one
The sith, the fellowship or Arnold Schwatzeneger

i mean
Arnold defeated a battallion, terrorists, ultra robots, barbarians, mercury terminators, popular voting, man he even manhandle the devil all by himself. I will stick to the governator  ;D

of course prime time arnold.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I can't say for sure, but the people who make up that "TMZ" show may just be the worst people walking the earth. Worse than Al-Qaeda, and even that waitress who wouldn't serve me because my ID had expired.

The premise of the show is footage from the paparazzi harassing celebrities walking to their cars on their lunch breaks, hosing and scrubbing as best they can in skirts and suits. Then, some surfer dude on drugs recaps it. Then some other old guy who doesn't have a chair says something nasty. Then, some random twenty somethings chime in. Then, the handful of people in the room all laugh in unison. This show is why Al-Qaeda hates us.

This is the best post I've read on here in months. Thank you.

TP now and one later too.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I can't say for sure, but the people who make up that "TMZ" show may just be the worst people walking the earth. Worse than Al-Qaeda, and even that waitress who wouldn't serve me because my ID had expired.

The premise of the show is footage from the paparazzi harassing celebrities walking to their cars on their lunch breaks, hosing and scrubbing as best they can in skirts and suits. Then, some surfer dude on drugs recaps it. Then some other old guy who doesn't have a chair says something nasty. Then, some random twenty somethings chime in. Then, the handful of people in the room all laugh in unison. This show is why Al-Qaeda hates us.

Hey thanks. I know it had to be the half baked Sheryl Crow joke that tipped the scales.

« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Hey thanks. I know it had to be the half baked Sheryl Crow joke that tipped the scales.

My girlfriend used to watch it from time to time... I have grown to think that I HATE them as people, although I don't even know names. The old guy who leads it kills me, because he apparently decides what is funny and relevant and what isn't, whereas none of it whatsoever makes any sense. They are a bunch of a------s who just pick on celebrities at bad times, act like JERKS, and wait for them to get mad. People like that are why I could never be famous.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

My girlfriend used to watch it from time to time... I have grown to think that I HATE them as people, although I don't even know names. The old guy who leads it kills me, because he apparently decides what is funny and relevant and what isn't, whereas none of it whatsoever makes any sense. They are a bunch of a------s who just pick on celebrities at bad times, act like JERKS, and wait for them to get mad. People like that are why I could never be famous.

totally agree
that show how decadent spectacle tv becomes
All those paparazzy shows stinks

Nice to be back!

« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

They're despicable people. I wonder if that office they congregate in is for real, or just some dummied up pretend work place. I hate how it's supposed to be some candid discussion where they just spontaneously "burn" whomever with their brilliant "quips" about how so and so used to be famous but is now just a loser etc. Their remarks seem staged, and also are never the least bit amusing. It's a double whammy. I hate the format of the show, despise the content, despise the people, and am very troubled by the older guy's lack of a proper chair. I think he might have been leaning over a backwards swivel chair once, but I'm not sure. What the heck is going on? That show is a piece of trash, and my instincts are telling me that those people involved are going to the deepest part of Hell(assuming Hell exists and has levels to it, which I can't really confirm either way).

Edit: Edgar, Do you get "TMZ", or shows like it? If so, sorry on behalf of the U.S.A. :( :-X

« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2009, 03:18:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

They're despicable people. I wonder if that office they congregate in is for real, or just some dummied up pretend work place. I hate how it's supposed to be some candid discussion where they just spontaneously "burn" whomever with their brilliant "quips" about how so and so used to be famous but is now just a loser etc. Their remarks seem staged, and also are never the least bit amusing. It's a double whammy. I hate the format of the show, despise the content, despise the people, and am very troubled by the older guy's lack of a proper chair. I think he might have been leaning over a backwards swivel chair once, but I'm not sure. What the heck is going on? That show is a piece of trash, and my instincts are telling me that those people involved are going to the deepest part of Hell(assuming Hell exists and has levels to it, which I can't really confirm either way).

Edit: Edgar, Do you get "TMZ", or shows like it? If so, sorry on behalf of the U.S.A. :( :-X

We get AFV in Denmark and that's
almost as bad  ;)

« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Blame E!

Nice to be back!

« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Oh and Dark_Lord... your math is a little off with the dark side > LOTR

But I don't want to war with you.  We'll let it go.

;)

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
darn lulu just kills like 50,000 elevens!!! massive

p.s. If u dont get this one dont worry I think only crowsy will get it

yea, i don't know if i can ever forgive lulu for not only making euphie the massacre princess, but also for how he stops her (hedging the wording since i dont know if you've seen that part yet).

I really liked euphy, She was like realina except without the constant nasel whining and wussiness. (geek warning: gundaw wing referance)

Glad you got hooked edgar, the next season is just as good :)

im planning on watching the last 4 this weekend, thats all i have left.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Great Brink's Robbery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Great Brinks Robbery)
Jump to: navigation, search
 This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (August 2007)

The Great Brink's Robbery was an armed robbery of the Brinks Building in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, on January 17, 1950.

The robbery resulted in the theft of $1,218,211.29 in cash, and over $1.5-million in checks, money orders and other securities. At the time, it was the largest robbery in the history of the United States. Skillfully executed with only a bare minimum of clues left at the crime scene, the robbery was billed as "the crime of the century". The robbery was the work of an eleven-member gang, all of whom were later arrested.

Contents [hide]
1 The plan
2 The heist
3 Investigation and falling out
4 See also
5 External links

[edit] The plan
According to information later gleaned from Joseph "Specs" O'Keefe, Anthony "Fats" Pino was the originator of the heist. He brought in O'Keefe, Joseph "Big Joe" McGinnis and Stanley "Gus" Gusciora.

Secretly O'Keefe and Gusciora entered the Brink's depot; they picked the outside lock with an ice pick and inner door with a piece of plastic. Later they temporarily removed the cylinders from the five locks, one at a time, so a locksmith could make duplicate keys for them. Once this was done Pino recruited seven other men, including Pino's brother-in-law Vincent Costa, Michael Vincent "Vinnie" Geagan, Thomas Francis Richardson, Adolph "Jazz" Maffie, Henry Baker, James Faherty, and Joseph "Barney" Banfield.

The gang decided to wait for the optimal time for their heist. Pino studied schedules and was able to determine what the staff was doing based on the lights in the building windows. O'Keefe and Gusciora even stole the plans for the site alarms. The gang members entered the building on practice runs after the staff had left for the day. Costa monitored the depot from a room of a neighboring tenement building, exactly across from the Brinks building on Prince St. By the time they acted, the gang had been planning and training for two years.

[edit] The heist
On January 17, 1950, after six aborted attempts, the robbers decided that the situation was favorable. They donned clothing outwardly similar to that of Brink's uniform with Navy pea coats and chauffeur's caps along with rubber Halloween masks, gloves and rubber-soled shoes. While Pino and driver Banfield remained in the getaway car, seven other men entered the building at 6:55 PM.

With their copied keys they came to the second floor through the locked doors and surprised, bound and gagged five Brinks employees who were storing and counting money. They failed to open a box of the payroll of the General Electric Company but scooped up everything else.

The robbers walked out at 7:30 PM. In addition to money, they had taken four revolvers from the employees. Afterwards the gang rapidly counted the loot, gave some of the members their cut and agreed not to touch the loot for six years, after which the statute of limitations would have run out. The robbers scattered to establish their alibis.

[edit] Investigation and falling out
Brink's Incorporated offered $100,000 reward for information. The only clues police could initially find were the rope robbers had used to tie the employees and a chauffeur's cap. At first, any information police could get from their informers proved useless. The truck the robbers had used was found cut to pieces in Stoughton, Massachusetts, near O'Keefe's home.

In June 1950, O’Keefe and Gusciora were arrested in Pennsylvania for a burglary. O’Keefe was sentenced to three years in Bradford County Jail and Gusciora to 5 to 20 years in the Western State Penitentiary at Pittsburgh. Through their informers police heard that O'Keefe and Gusciora demanded money from Pino and MacGinnis in Boston to fight their convictions. It was later claimed that most of O'Keefe's share went to his legal defense.

FBI agents tried to talk to O'Keefe and Gusciora in prison but they professed ignorance of the Brinks robbery. Gang members came under suspicions but there was not enough evidence for an indictment, so law enforcement kept pressure on the suspects. Adolph Maffie was convicted and sentenced to nine months for income tax evasion.

After O'Keefe was released, he was taken to stand in another trial for burglary and parole violations and was released on bail of $17,000. O'Keefe later claimed that he had never seen his portion of the loot after he had given it to Maffie for safekeeping. Apparently in need of money, he kidnapped Vincent Costa and demanded his part of the loot for ransom.

Pino paid a small ransom but then decided to try to kill O'Keefe. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts he hired underworld hitman Elmer "Trigger" Burke to kill O'Keefe. Burke traveled to Boston and shot O'Keefe but failed to kill him, despite seriously wounding him. FBI approached O'Keefe in the hospital, and on January 6, 1956 he eventually decided to talk.

On January 12, 1956 the FBI arrested Baker, Costa, Geagan, Maffie, McGinnis, and Pino. They apprehended Faherty and Richardson on May 16 in Dorchester, Massachusetts. O'Keefe pleaded guilty January 18. Gusciora died July 9. Banfield was already dead. Trial began August 6, 1956.

Eight of the gang received maximum sentences for life; O'Keefe received only 4 years and was released in 1960. Only $58,000 of the $2.7 million was recovered. The rest is fabled to be hidden in the hills just north of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

[edit] See also
Brinks robbery (1981)
List of famous bank robbers and robberies
The Brink's Job, a 1978 film starring Peter Falk based on the robbery. Stanley Gusciora wasn't the getaway driver as proclaimed in the 1978 film.

My dad grew up across the street from Sandy Richardson and was best friends with his son.  He remembers vividly when the FBI raided Sandy's house and when they finally caught him (he was on the lamb for a couple of months).  I remember meeting him in the mid 70's when I was just a little kid and he was an old man.

Interestingly, Sandy was the less famous "bad guy" who grew up on my Dad's street.  One of my dad's buds was a guy who lived a few houses down from him named George Jung.  George taught the Colombians how to smuggle coke in to the US.  They made a movie about George called "Blow" and he was played by Johnny Depp. 

1 street, 2 criminals, 2 major movies.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:05:58 PM by SShorefan 3.0 »
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Quote from: SShorefan 3.0

1 street, 2 criminals, 2 major movies.  Go figure.

and 1 self proclaimed SAP  :D
Yup