Author Topic: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan  (Read 14599 times)

Re: NBA board expected to ok season restart plan
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I hate it.  The season is illegitimate IMO.  No need for it.  Players should be gearing for a clean start next season, whether in late fall or maybe in spring of ‘21 when we may have a vaccine.

Illegitimate how? Basketball is still basketball. The games are going to be won or lost on the court, it should make for some great matchups.

The only way I can see this being illegitimate is if any team is seriously impacted by missing players who test positive.

Otherwise, if the refs call the games fairly, whoever wins it legitimately deserves the title. If anything, it will be an even harder path to the finals for teams.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So if it really is just 22 teams, that means 4 teams from each conference don't go.

So are they really going to exclude 27-36 San Antonio but let 28-36 New Orleans and Sacramento participate.  It is only moderately cleaner in the East where 21-45 New York is excluded but 22-43 Chicago, 23-42 Charlotte, and 24-40 Washington are included.  Or are they going to eliminate the conferences entirely and put San Antonio and Phoenix in and keep Chicago and Charlotte out?  It just doesn't make sense unless every team finishes out the regular season (it can be 70 or 72 games).  I mean there are just way too many problems with having only partial teams participate in a concluding regular season.  Now if they are just going to start with the playoffs and let only the playoff teams finish the regular season, that would make more sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I hate it.  The season is illegitimate IMO.  No need for it.  Players should be gearing for a clean start next season, whether in late fall or maybe in spring of ‘21 when we may have a vaccine.

Illegitimate how? Basketball is still basketball. The games are going to be won or lost on the court, it should make for some great matchups.

The only way I can see this being illegitimate is if any team is seriously impacted by missing players who test positive.

Otherwise, if the refs call the games fairly, whoever wins it legitimately deserves the title. If anything, it will be an even harder path to the finals for teams.

Another thing that may make it more difficult for good teams is that there won't be much of a home court advantage w/o their fans there, home cooking, etc.  And, if the first round is 5-games instead of 7 then that is another disadvantage for good teams.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
It's a terrible, reckless idea and I'm going to watch as much of it as I can.

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a terrible, reckless idea and I'm going to watch as much of it as I can.

I feel pretty much the same.  I’ll watch, and hope for the best.

I would like them to hit the breaks a bit to see if loosening I’d stay at home orders, mixed with protests in Orlando, leads to a second surge of cases.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
October is already a pretty awesome sports month.   Can you imagine the NBA Finals, potentially, on top of it (depending on what happens with other sports)?

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
ESPN Sources: As the NBA models a 22-team format for a July 31 resumption in Orlando, the proposed timeline for teams as the last possible date for an NBA Finals Game 7: October 12.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Are they doing this the soccer World Cup style, or 1 vs 22 seed full conference?

If it's the former, there could be a chance the Lakers and Celtics could end up in the same group, among other teams!!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Woj with a bunch of updates:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268201808968781825
The NBA's Board of Governors has a 12:30 PM ET call on Thursday with the intention of approving the league's plan for a 22-team return-to-play in Orlando, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268200113148768258
Each of the 22 teams will play eight regular season games in Orlando for seeding purposes for the playoffs, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268203696728530950
Sources: Joining the 16 current playoff teams in Orlando: New Orleans, Portland, Phoenix, Sacramento and San Antonio in the West and Washington in the East. If the 9th seed is more than 4 games behind the 8th, No. 8 makes playoffs; Fewer than 4 games, a play-in tournament.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268204071841927169
The play-in format requires a double-elimination format for the 8th seed, a single-elimination for the 9th seed, per sources.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1268205549583241218
So the NBA's inviting 22 teams to Orlando: 13 Western Conference, 9 Eastern Conference. Eight-regular season games per team. Play-in for the 8th seeds. July 31-October 12. Vote tomorrow to ratify.
The NBA's back.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's gonna weird & wonky but I'll take it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Woj has article up now.  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29260860/sources-nba-approve-plan-22-team-return-eight-regular-season-games

Ridiculous imbalance in conference.  I mean 13 to 9.  That is just crazy.  I know they did it by how close to the playoffs the teams are, but still, that is just strange.  And what happens if Washington ends up with a worse win percentage than Charlotte, Orlando, New York, etc. Or the other way, with a record worse than Brooklyn or Orlando but they win the play-in game because they are close enough.  How do you do the lottery odds in these scenarios?  I understand they feel like 30 teams is too many to do, but then why do the regular season at all.  Why not just have a couple of weeks of exhibition games from the playoff teams and just start the playoffs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Such an oddball approach to the whole thing.  It seems confusing and random, but maybe there are reasons for all of this that are behind the scenes?

I just hope that the NBA has a well thought out set of contingency plans for what they are going to do if someone tests positive and gets sick.  I guess all of the national protests might provide somewhat of a litmus test for them.  If we don't see a spike in cases from all the protests, maybe the NBA can feel more secure restarting the season.  If the protests do generate a huge spike, then that allows the NBA to adjust their plans.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Woj has article up now.  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29260860/sources-nba-approve-plan-22-team-return-eight-regular-season-games

Ridiculous imbalance in conference.  I mean 13 to 9.  That is just crazy.  I know they did it by how close to the playoffs the teams are, but still, that is just strange.  And what happens if Washington ends up with a worse win percentage than Charlotte, Orlando, New York, etc. Or the other way, with a record worse than Brooklyn or Orlando but they win the play-in game because they are close enough.  How do you do the lottery odds in these scenarios?  I understand they feel like 30 teams is too many to do, but then why do the regular season at all.  Why not just have a couple of weeks of exhibition games from the playoff teams and just start the playoffs.

Speaking of lottery odds, that mini play-in tournament for the 8 seed probably helps the Memphis pick.  Much more likely they miss the playoffs now. 

West teams won't need to close the entire 3 1/2 game gap, and I'd bet on Damian Lillard or the NBA whistles favoring Zion over Memphis any day. 

Also interesting on seeding when you think about there's no really bad teams to help you pick up a win.  Best you can hope for is a playoff team with secure seeding resting everybody or treating it like a preseason game.  So maybe Washington does go 0-8, and ends up with a worse winning % than Charlotte or Chicago.  My guess is they traded their lottery odds for a chance at the playoffs, so the 8 teams not invited are guaranteed for lottery odds 1-8, while the 6 playing will settle for 9-14.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:37:17 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Nothing illegitimate about this.  We are experiencing a pandemic and will not matter  if the stop now and wait until fall to start a new season.  IMO this will be great for the world right now to see this.  This playoff series is going to lay the groundwork for a potential future of the NBA.  Resuming activities will be great for the world and provide hope.  Plus these guys deserve the right to work just like the rest of us.  I know a lot of them make a lot of money but a lot of the rookies, low level vets etc need to earn a living as well.  I'm excited to watch basketball and feel some sort of normal for the 1st time in a long time.  Until there is a vaccination we need hope anywhere we can get it.

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

It's obvious they want Zion in the playoffs. That and after Lillard basically said he wouldn't return if there was no chance at making the playoffs, they decided to basically let in all the teams "in the hunt" in the West, which happens to be all but the Wolves/Warriors. In the East though, they can't really do that as only one team outside the playoff pic is within 6 games of the 8 seed (Washington).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
NBA intends to approve the plan for the resumption of the season with 22 teams in Orlando.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28911848/when-nba-return-latest-updates-amid-coronavirus-suspension

YaY!! I'm being selfish but I'm glad basketball is back! I'm sure they have plans in place if someone tests positive, as do all the sports leagues that have already reopened so far. There's too much at stake not to have any plans. :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D