Author Topic: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)  (Read 54206 times)

Re: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Weird take by KG:

Kevin Garnett, however, doesn’t sound crazy about Hayward’s current fit with Boston.

“I love Gordon (Hayward) to death,” Garnett told USA Today. “I just don’t know where it fits in the growth of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. You have a trifecta, you know? And it just looks at times like he doesn’t fit or he tries too hard. It just looks like he doesn’t fit.”

Garnett continued: “…With him out, it’s a simplicity for Marcus Smart to come in and play a certain way. It seems like a simplicity for Kemba Walker to come in and play a certain way… Tatum. It just seems like a more simplistic system when those four, or those three, are kind of working.”

“I’m no coach or anything. I’m just an observer and I’m a student of energy or chemistry. And I’m just watching how that whole dynamic looks when Gordon is off it.”

Garnett’s assessment is a bit of a head-scratcher. Sure, Brad Stevens and Co. might have forced Hayward into the mix at times last season, but the 30-year-old seemingly has been in a groove for the majority of the current campaign. Hayward is an above-average ball-handler, which often comes most in handy for the Celtics when Stevens leaves him out to run the second-unit offense. The 10th-year pro also is capable of creating his own shot which, of course, is an invaluable skill in the NBA.

I don't disagree with KG.  He is saying that Gordon Hayward is a good player and I agree but on the Celtics, he is the 3rd best wing behind Tatum and Brown.  In that sense, his value to the team is less than it might be to another team that is not already as deep at the position.

The Celtics would be better served by a player that is more like Jae Crowder or Marcus Morris, more of a swing, that can offer some different match ups over what Hayward can give you.  Or of course an actual true PF with skill.

All that said, I think he will help the team if he comes back.  He is still a talented player and it allows us to put more talent on the floor when we go to the bench (whether him or Marcus).
This problem with this statement is that Hayward isn't the third best wing.  He's better than Brown and the team is better with him.

Now that said, Hayward coming off injury might not be better but I would rather get him back sooner rather than later to give him time to work out any kinks.

On other thing, looking at regular season stuff is not necessarily going to be accurate anyway.  In the post season, having a guy with a reliable jumper that facilitates is going to be very valuable.

I think if you read my post carefully, you will see that we largely agree, except for the part about Hayward being overall better than Brown.  This is of course debatable.  I want Hayward back and I expect he will impact the team in a positive way.

Offensively, based on regular season, they are pretty close statistically.  I think Brown adds more defensively.  Hayward is probably a better passer.  But in my mind, if you simply took Brown out from the team and added a healthy Hayward, I do not think the team gets better.  I think the team overall would be a little worse.  Brown can cover a much broader range of players and that is important for a team that really is short on Bigs.

I do admit that the passing and creation from Hayward would be nice with Kemba Walker playing so poorly but even conceding that, I like Brown overall more.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:39:53 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celtics would be better served by a player that is more like Jae Crowder or Marcus Morris, more of a swing, that can offer some different match ups over what Hayward can give you.

Based upon what?  Every metric out there says that we thrive with Hayward in the lineup.  How would adding an inferior player as a replacement be beneficial?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The Celtics would be better served by a player that is more like Jae Crowder or Marcus Morris, more of a swing, that can offer some different match ups over what Hayward can give you.

Based upon what?  Every metric out there says that we thrive with Hayward in the lineup.  How would adding an inferior player as a replacement be beneficial?

I am saying that type of player implying equal talent.  Obviously we are not better with an inferior player.  It is like KG is trying to say, it is about fit and need.  It would be a better fit if we had a player that matched our need over a player that does something similar to what our other good players already do.  I think this is what KG was trying to say and I agree.

I don't agree with KG if he is also saying that Hayward is somehow impeding the growth of Brown and Tatum.  I don't think that is the case.  It is more about Hayward being more redundant to Brown and Tatum over complimentary to them and how that impacts Hayward's opportunity to contribute and the overall balance of the team.

« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I am saying that type of player implying equal talent.  Obviously we are not better with an inferior player.  It is like KG is trying to say, it is about fit and need.  It would be a better fit if we had a player that matched our need over a player that does something similar to what our other good players already do.  I think this is what KG was trying to say and I agree.

I don't agree with KG if he is also saying that Hayward is somehow impeding the growth of Brown and Tatum.  I don't think that is the case.  It is more about Hayward being more redundant to Brown and Tatum over complimentary to them and how that impacts Hayward's opportunity to contribute and the overall balance of the team.
Couldn't disagree more. Imo, Hayward is an excellent fit next to Tatum and Brown. 

The C's are a bad passing team. We ranked 25th in the league in assists per game during the regular season. We also rank 11th during the playoffs (out of 16 teams in total). Hayward is a terrific passer at the wing position. He keeps everyone involved on offense, hence he keeps everyone happy. Why on earth is he redundant?

Hayward is a point forward. If we ever trade him, I'd like us to replace him with another point forward.

Thanks but no thanks for Morris. He's a ball stopper, plus I wouldn't be willing to pay him 15 million like the Knicks did.

I'd love us to have Crowder (over Semi, not over Hayward).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:04:06 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It really does make me chuckle when people say Hayward isn’t a good fit alongside the Jays while simultaneously being unsure as to why our play has dropped off now that we’re coming up against elite competition.

He makes everyone, and most importantly our team, better. It’s simple. That people are saying Mook or Crowder would be preferable to him is crazy talk to me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #350 on: September 17, 2020, 09:40:00 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
It really does make me chuckle when people say Hayward isn’t a good fit alongside the Jays while simultaneously being unsure as to why our play has dropped off now that we’re coming up against elite competition.

He makes everyone, and most importantly our team, better. It’s simple. That people are saying Mook or Crowder would be preferable to him is crazy talk to me

I mentioned this in another thread but one thing that Hayward does better than the rest is set up Brown for shots.

« Reply #351 on: September 17, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Please come back Hayward. I can't take these knuckleheads playing like they have the basketball iq of below room temperature.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Help us Gordi-wan Hayward! You're our only hope  :angel:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #353 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I mentioned this in another thread but one thing that Hayward does better than the rest is set up Brown for shots.

Hayward would be the zone buster in the middle of that Miami zone, too.

« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Not his fault, but Hayward has cost the C's 3 seasons with his injuries....the curse of I.T.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

it really has come to that huh? lol
Maybe Gordon can help us with the 3rd quarter tailspins?
hopefully.

« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

it really has come to that huh? lol
Maybe Gordon can help us with the 3rd quarter tailspins?
hopefully.
I honestly think our offense is so much worse with Smart on the court than with Hayward. Smart's just waaaaay too inconsistent on a team with already inconsistent stars.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1306794818958495747?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Gordon Hayward is progressing toward returning for Game 3 of Celtics-Heat after feeling good in Wednesday’s post-practice workout, a source with knowledge of the situation told
@TheAthleticNBA. He expects to get more on-court work Friday with the hope of playing Saturday.

Even if Hayward is simply standing in the corner and hitting 3s while only playing 10 minutes total, that's 1000% better than having Ojeyele on the court, period.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2020, 12:16:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1306794818958495747?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Gordon Hayward is progressing toward returning for Game 3 of Celtics-Heat after feeling good in Wednesday’s post-practice workout, a source with knowledge of the situation told
@TheAthleticNBA. He expects to get more on-court work Friday with the hope of playing Saturday.

Even if Hayward is simply standing in the corner and hitting 3s while only playing 10 minutes total, that's 1000% better than having Ojeyele on the court, period.

We could use some of Gordy's drive and kicks to draw 2 defenders and leave someone open on the perimeter...I think I only counted 2 drive and kicks the whole game, from Kemba
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
If I want to look for a little silver lining in all this, it's Gordon Hayward, can't help but feel bad for the dude.

Came to Boston to win with Stevens, only to miss the whole thing and have to watch the team almost do it without him.  (While also watching the team he left do pretty well too).

Came back and was a shell of his former self, and the team under performed with him.

This year he's playing like his old self, only to miss practically the whole playoffs (to date).  Plus all year, even when healthy, I feel like Gordon was at best 4th and possibly 5th in media recognition of importance to the team.

If the C's were up 2-0 right now, how does Hayward feel?  Maybe like the team doesn't even need him.

But now with the team down 0-2, when they turn it around on Saturday and go on to win the series in 6, and then the championship, now he'll and everyone else will know he's an important member of the team.  He ain't Kevin Durant on the Warriors, an unnecessary appendage, he's a key contributor.

That's my silver lining outlook.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:47:27 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class