Poll

Is he

Yes
15 (93.8%)
No
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Jaylen Brown: All-Star ?? MIP??  (Read 9275 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Most Improved Player?
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2019, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
JB definitely doesn't play like Iggy lol. And I'm not sure about the Butler comparisons, Butler was a prolific distributor when he hit stardom, and he wasn't as good as an outside shooter. I think a good comparison for Jaylen would be somewhere between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 iterations Kawhi Leonard with "just" good wing defence, but with a more portable offensive game (less isolationist tendencies, not as much ball pounding and tunnel vision). Obviously Jaylen uses quickness and athleticism to find easy looks while Kawhi uses his length and strength to get shots off, but I think Jaylen would have a similar offensive impact in a situation where he could handle the ball more (efficient scoring on moderate volume plus a bit of playmaking, although I think Jaylen can punish double teams better than Kawhi back then, who really wasn't much of a passer).

Yes, I agree he doesn't play like Iggy, but JB impacts the game like Iggy.
A 2-way wing player who's not very good at the FT line but still ends up scoring points.
That's the similarity I see.

I also agree that JB is not similar to Jimmy Butler because Butler's staple on offense is getting to the FT line a lot.
That's something JB doesn't do.

Look at 23 year old Jimmy Butler's stats compared to 23 year old Jaylen Brown's stats.

A 23-year old Butler was just averaging 8.6 ppg in 2012-13.

Right now a 23-year old Jaylen is averaging 19.9 ppg.

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2019, 02:52:31 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
My comp for Jaylen would be Michael Finley. Hyper athletic swingman who could stroke it from deep and played fantastic defense. He wasn't the best player on a championship team but he was a complementary star on a few great teams. He only made the all-star team twice but I wonder how much of that had to do with being in the west and also being usurped by Dirk and Nash overtime in Dallas. Nonetheless, what his role was on those Mavericks teams sounds a lot like Jaylen's role on the Celtics.

I honestly would have no complaints about Brown if he winds up being Finn Dog 2.0. If he proves to be better, then that's just gravy.

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2019, 03:35:02 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
My comp for Jaylen would be Michael Finley. Hyper athletic swingman who could stroke it from deep and played fantastic defense. He wasn't the best player on a championship team but he was a complementary star on a few great teams. He only made the all-star team twice but I wonder how much of that had to do with being in the west and also being usurped by Dirk and Nash overtime in Dallas. Nonetheless, what his role was on those Mavericks teams sounds a lot like Jaylen's role on the Celtics.

I honestly would have no complaints about Brown if he winds up being Finn Dog 2.0. If he proves to be better, then that's just gravy.

Tp for remembering Finley. He was such a great guy, tough, worked hard. Love the comparison as well
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Re: Jaylen Brown: All-Star ?? MIP??
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I didn't see this article posted anywhere. It concerns all of the work Jaylen put in this past off season.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/12/boston-celtics-jaylen-brown-was-in-the-gym-two-days-after-2018-19-season-ended-and-results-are-showing.html?fbclid=IwAR3ztlPTmXKWZl7HezN_ZFzDVaSVJJlTaG5P5_sHaOHKH4jh1_conxiK-zE
TP for the article. Great read.

Jaylen comes off as a bit cocky but I like that. I think it's awesome as almost every great superstar is a bit cocky and supremely confident in their abilities.

What I also love is this article proves that in the offseasons Brown has always prioritized working out and growing his game. Brown's travels and off court interests caused a lot of blowback from members of this blog, as some thought he wasn't making his NBA career the priority in his life. Well, so much for that.

If Brown truly is as smart as he thinks he is and as good a chess player as he thinks he is, then the next few years as a Celtic should be interesting. As his basketball knowledge increases, if he his thinking 1, 2, or 3 moves ahead on the court, Brown will be a Megastar.

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2019, 02:48:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I would love for Jaylen to hang a couple more huge games this week and nab a Player of the Week award. Something small like that could really push the confidence in his game and maybe help unlock taking that step into being a consistent high level player that transitions into a star.

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
No player has made a bigger leap than Doncic. Everyone knew he was a really good player, but to make the leap from really good to elite at the age of only 20 is ridiculous. He is easily a top 10 player, which is a list that is extremely difficult to crack in only your second year and especially for a 20 year old.

Jaylen is pretty close and is in the conversation on the MIP list along with Siakam and Ingram.

However, I’m going with an early season dark horse. If he continuous to start and play the rest of the season, I think the MIP award is Markelle Fultz’ for the taking. To go from being the consensus #1 pick 3 years ago, to immediately being labeled a possible bust before even playing a game is pretty tough to come back from. In his first two seasons, he played in just 34 games and only started in 15 of them. So far this season, he has played in every game and has even started in 16 of those 21 games. He has dramatically improved his shooting too. The MIP award was designed to be rewarded to players like Fultz, who go from possibly being out of the league, to improving so much that they receive consistent playing time.

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would love for Jaylen to hang a couple more huge games this week and nab a Player of the Week award. Something small like that could really push the confidence in his game and maybe help unlock taking that step into being a consistent high level player that transitions into a star.

I think at some point this year brown will have a 40 point game. He's had games where he gets 8+ Ft's he's had games where he hits volume three or hits like 80% of his twos but he hasn't had a game where he does all three. I think he'll have one before the season is over, he seems to be a rhythm guy who when shots start falling can get very hot.

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think at some point this year brown will have a 40 point game. He's had games where he gets 8+ Ft's he's had games where he hits volume three or hits like 80% of his twos but he hasn't had a game where he does all three. I think he'll have one before the season is over, he seems to be a rhythm guy who when shots start falling can get very hot.
I could see it happening in a home game with the crowd cheering him on in the 4th to get there. Jaylen Brown loves his home cooking this year. He is getting very comfortable shooting at the Garden.

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2019, 05:19:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Tp for remembering Finley. He was such a great guy, tough, worked hard. Love the comparison as well

I love this comparison as well.  I think the Butler comparison is a little lazy as he is a present day star.  Butler is a more grounded polished scorer and plays stronger than Brown especially with his base.  Brown plays more above the rim, maybe more electric player, and without looking at the numbers probably the better long distance shooter, if not now probably will be better.

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Not a bad pick, but one thing to remember is that Finley's numbers are a bit inflated because he played so many minutes. Jaylen's last two seasons were more in line with Finley's per 36 best seasons. His year so far this year would be better than any of Finley's seasons as far as scoring on the floor.

I also feel like I remember Finley being a subpar defender--as in he would score on you, but then you could score on him too. Brown has probably already exceeded his ability on that side of the court.

Still, not bad. I think he's a cross of Michael Finley's offense, but he's got an inconsistent Jimmy Butler-level defense that Finley never had. Not sure if there is another player that fits that.

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Not a bad pick, but one thing to remember is that Finley's numbers are a bit inflated because he played so many minutes. Jaylen's last two seasons were more in line with Finley's per 36 best seasons. His year so far this year would be better than any of Finley's seasons as far as scoring on the floor.

I also feel like I remember Finley being a subpar defender--as in he would score on you, but then you could score on him too. Brown has probably already exceeded his ability on that side of the court.

Still, not bad. I think he's a cross of Michael Finley's offense, but he's got an inconsistent Jimmy Butler-level defense that Finley never had. Not sure if there is another player that fits that.

My memory, shoddy tho it is, of Finley was him being a neutral-to-good defender. Certainly I don’t have a memory of him being a bad defender.

That said, I just checked historical data from RAPTOR, and he was slightly negative most seasons, although positive in his peak seasons, so he might be better described as neutral-to-not good, rather than neutral to good.

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

My memory, shoddy tho it is, of Finley was him being a neutral-to-good defender. Certainly I don’t have a memory of him being a bad defender.

That said, I just checked historical data from RAPTOR, and he was slightly negative most seasons, although positive in his peak seasons, so he might be better described as neutral-to-not good, rather than neutral to good.

While we're sticking with the Michael Finley era comparisons, the defensive version would probably be Eddie Jones.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
contender for both probably but I'd give him AS over MIP and give Doncic MIP. If we vote today.

Whatever JB could be in the future could be hampered by how much he's held back, while he scores, CBS really doesn't let him have more offensive responsibility like he does Tatum. It's like he isn't allowed to grow as a creator, they just take what he's been and go from there. I would like to see him have more offensive responsibility, he goes far too long without taking shots or getting the ball for decision making. IMO 3&D would be selling his potential short.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
contender for both probably but I'd give him AS over MIP and give Doncic MIP. If we vote today.

Whatever JB could be in the future could be hampered by how much he's held back, while he scores, CBS really doesn't let him have more offensive responsibility like he does Tatum. It's like he isn't allowed to grow as a creator, they just take what he's been and go from there. I would like to see him have more offensive responsibility, he goes far too long without taking shots or getting the ball for decision making. IMO 3&D would be selling his potential short.

CBS sees the players everyday in practice.

There must be a reason why JB is not given more offensive responsibility.

It's just ridiculous to intentionally hold JB back.

Just take the case of Tatum when he was with Team USA.
Popovich started Tatum and went with Tatum for the last shot against Turkey.

JB never started a game for Pop and Team USA.

So it's not only CBS that's limiting JB's responsibilities, Pop did too.