Poll

Is he

Yes
15 (93.8%)
No
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Jaylen Brown: All-Star ?? MIP??  (Read 9346 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Most Improved Player?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He could be in the mix for the award. I think that Doncic deserves it though, he made the leap from a sub All-Star into an MVP candidate (assuming he keeps up these brain-breaking offensive numbers).

But here's the thing, Doncic was already very good last season.

The leap from sub All-Star to MVP candidate is smaller compared to Jaylen being just a 13 ppg player last season to being a sub All-Star this season.
Not really imo, there's a huge difference between a sub All-Star and an MVP candidate, while it's not that much of a difference between a good role player and a sub All-Star. It's like going up 3 rungs compared to 1 or 2, and 1 season of a higher peak is exponentially more valuable than 1 season of a lower peak (it's not a linear curve).

I think the difference is Doncic just got even better this season.

Jaylen is a totally different player this season.
It's like Jaylen's a new player this season.
So Jaylen has improved in more aspects of the game than Doncic.
I don't buy the narrative that Jaylen has become a completely different player tbh. His numbers last year were down due to a number of factors (eg. broken hand at the start of the season, coaching staff dropping him to the bench, offensive scheme using him like a role player) that were out of his control and weren't indicative of how good he was. I think he just showed growth that was a bit more than what's usually expected from younger players (Jaylen took a small jump compared to incremental growth) and got a larger but still limited role on the Celtics. You could make the argument that he's a solid All-Star right now, and I'm certainly open to it (I floated around the idea that he might be even more productive than he is right now if he got a larger offensive load), but even then the difference between the 2-3 rung leap that both Jaylen and Doncic had is night and day, the difference between an All-Star and good role player is far smaller than the difference between a sub All-Star and an MVP candidate, even if you make the argument that Doncic isn't a "strong" MVP calibre player.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Can't see how it isn't Devonte Graham
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
True, he went from a complete negative into a really good player. Not sure if he's an All-Star (I think his box stats overstate his offensive impact, and his defence is bad to say the least), but he's become a really good role player at least. I do think that the leap Doncic made dwarfs the leaps everyone else made though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:31 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Or Aaron Baynes :-P
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: Is Brown an allstar this season?
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 11:26:10 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Had Hayward never been hurt I think he and Kemba would be our two All-Stars, but I think Brown has earned a spot. Been killing it

I think this is right. Brown’s been great. Cannot wait to add Hayward back to this team. 

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 11:30:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
True, he went from a complete negative into a really good player. Not sure if he's an All-Star (I think his box stats overstate his offensive impact, and his defence is bad to say the least), but he's become a really good role player at least. I do think that the leap Doncic made dwarfs the leaps everyone else made though.
Yeah, Doncic is definitely a fair recipient. Not sure how much they'd want to give it to a guy who has a legitimate shot at winning MVP as well, but who knows.

Van Vleet is also showing really good improvement, yet still below Doncic's
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 11:38:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I think Kemba and Jaylen should be almost locks.

If Jayson can have about 7-10 more good games he could sneak in.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 11:56:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, Doncic is definitely a fair recipient. Not sure how much they'd want to give it to a guy who has a legitimate shot at winning MVP as well, but who knows.

Van Vleet is also showing really good improvement, yet still below Doncic's
Van Jordan has been awesome, but imo he's in the same boat as Jaylen: the magnitude of that 2-3 level leap is way below Doncic's.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 12:21:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If there are two All-Stars on the Celtics, it's Kemba and Jaylen.

Heck, the only person that has been shown to be able to slow down Jaylen recently is Brad Stevens, when he decided to sit Brown in a corner and not involve him in the offense for an entire game.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:32:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 01:08:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Heck, the only person that has been shown to be able to slow down Jaylen recently is Brad Stevens, when he decided to sit Brown in a corner all and not involve him in the offense for an entire game.
Reminds me of the joke about Jordan in the 80s lol, the only person who could stop him was his coach.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 01:27:20 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Doncic is exempt from becoming MIP for the simple reason that he is already ROY and was a very good player last Yr.

MIPs are for individuals who are possibly a passable to good player transitioning to near great stats and helping your team win ball games by taking over games... Doncic has already been doing that.

Brown though remains a poor FT shooter which imo should be one of his most improved areas.. He should be an 80%shooter by now but he is back to being sub par again in that aspect.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 01:37:55 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Heck, the only person that has been shown to be able to slow down Jaylen recently is Brad Stevens, when he decided to sit Brown in a corner and not involve him in the offense for an entire game.

I agree.. Brad has this stupid tendency to park JB.

Also I don't particularly like Brad sitting JB and Walker for that matter for long periods of time in the 2nd qtr in Particular. Sometimes Brown sits almost the entire qtr and would eventually not score because he has not warmed himself up well.. The most these players should sit per or in between qtrs is 6 or seven playing time minutes, this translates to about 13 to 15 minutes rest

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Doncic is exempt from becoming MIP for the simple reason that he is already ROY and was a very good player last Yr.

MIPs are for individuals who are possibly a passable to good player transitioning to near great stats and helping your team win ball games by taking over games... Doncic has already been doing that.

Brown though remains a poor FT shooter which imo should be one of his most improved areas.. He should be an 80%shooter by now but he is back to being sub par again in that aspect.
Brown has been hitting his FTs in the 72-75% rate all season, which is a decent improvement from the 64-66% range he has been the last two years.

Now maybe you didn't know he was hitting his free throws in that range so far this year, but I am not sure a 72-75% FT shooter is considered poor. 72-75% is considered average to slightly less than average when it comes to free throw shooting.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 01:47:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Did anyone else notice Brown's confidence in his mid range shot tonight? He hit 3 or 4 mid to long range twos last night and looked like he had been hitting them for years.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 01:53:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Did anyone else notice Brown's confidence in his mid range shot tonight? He hit 3 or 4 mid to long range twos last night and looked like he had been hitting them for years.
I did, and to be fair he HAS been hitting them for years - remember posters noting his mid post game and that MJ-esque fadeaway? Again Brad's misuse of Jaylen has really made him underrated.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA