Author Topic: OKC to have 15 1st round picks  (Read 7574 times)

Re: OKC to have 15 1st round picks
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
As I brought up elsewhere, some of these Houston picks could either, not convey or convey as 2nd rounders, due to protections. If from 2024-2026, Houston is bad and gets lucky in the lottery, OKC may not see any of those picks.

But that is just lookinging at the total pessimistic side. Realistically and optimistically, no matter how you cut it, things are looking good for OKC. They moved on from two stars who weren't going to be anything but a 2nd round playoff loser, at best, get a raft of down the line draft picks that could go all "Brooklyn Nets" for them and they still have quality players like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari, Steven Adams, Denis Schroder, Andre Roberson and Nerlens Noel.

Now, whether the team decides to sell off those players for picks and salary flexibility and go full rebuild or whether they move those players with picks to add stars and build that way, either way they are loaded with assets and poised to have a great team in the future if they do things right.
I doubt the 2nd route is viable for them given they're not a desirable destination for stars.  They tried that by trading for PG and then he demands a trade after a couple seasons even though he didn't appear to have any problems with the organization or Westbrook.  Westbrook for all his faults has actually been quite loyal to them. 

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I brought up elsewhere, some of these Houston picks could either, not convey or convey as 2nd rounders, due to protections. If from 2024-2026, Houston is bad and gets lucky in the lottery, OKC may not see any of those picks.

But that is just lookinging at the total pessimistic side. Realistically and optimistically, no matter how you cut it, things are looking good for OKC. They moved on from two stars who weren't going to be anything but a 2nd round playoff loser, at best, get a raft of down the line draft picks that could go all "Brooklyn Nets" for them and they still have quality players like Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari, Steven Adams, Denis Schroder, Andre Roberson and Nerlens Noel.

Now, whether the team decides to sell off those players for picks and salary flexibility and go full rebuild or whether they move those players with picks to add stars and build that way, either way they are loaded with assets and poised to have a great team in the future if they do things right.
I doubt the 2nd route is viable for them given they're not a desirable destination for stars.  They tried that by trading for PG and then he demands a trade after a couple seasons even though he didn't appear to have any problems with the organization or Westbrook.  Westbrook for all his faults has actually been quite loyal to them.
And I doubt your doubt. I think they could very easily go the second route and be successful. I also believe they could be successful with a full on multiple year tank job. And I think they could do both. I think they could tank for a year, draft a stud, trade some players and future picks for another stud, build around them and 2-4 years later funnel in mid to high lottery talent to create a constant stream of talent add to the team or use in trades to enhance it. I truly believe OKC could go in any direction and be successful because they are loaded with franchise building assets.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2019, 04:33:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
In my view, there is only way to build or rebuild a roster, and that is through the draft.  I am against tanking but am  for amassing draft picks, so I love where OKC is at right now.  They can put a competitive, entertaining team on the court every night while being a 2nd or 3rd team for literally any trade given the draft pick assets.  Or, they can move their veteran talent and get more draft picks.  Either way, selecting good players in the draft will make or break that franchise over the next 5 years.

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Success to their future will be these picks..look at GS picking Klay, Steph and Green...OKC with Durant, Harden and Westbrook..or blow it like Knicks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
OKC has been unwilling to include a 1st to move Paul so they can't find any takers (other factors as well including like 40% of the league can't be traded now).  Will almost certainly start the season with the Thunder, though could be moved as early as December 15th when a lot more players are available to be traded and the Thunder have a look at how it is going (such that they might feel keeping him is best, including a 1st to move him, or maybe he is playing awesome and a team takes him without draft compensation).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27210295/thunder-attempts-move-paul-stall
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 06:51:01 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Success to their future will be these picks..look at GS picking Klay, Steph and Green...OKC with Durant, Harden and Westbrook..or blow it like Knicks

I guess the lesson learned is making the right decisions with your elite talented players.  Even with all these picks I doubt they end up with players as talented as Durant, Westbrook, and Harden again.

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'm reading lots about "tanking" my understanding of the new lottery rules is odds have shifted towards teams competing but missing the playoffs.

I hate tanking and so does Saltover I mean Adam Silver. It's bad for the NBA it's bad for the local teams fan base and it's bad for all the teams competing but falling short.

Every NBA team has the opportunity to field a competitive team every single season. No excuse.

Edit: looks like I'm wrong tanking still encourage with a rule that doesn't really change anything.
ok fine

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So there’s a chance they can make the Sonics a team again?