Author Topic: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics  (Read 38081 times)

Re: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
CT,

They started Ron because he can bench press Matt Barnes with one arm:-))

Haha this is true  ;D

Second, there will be nights when JET and other of our older players get the night off.  We have a TON of back to backs and I bet KG, PP, JET, etc. will not play in many of them.  Therefore, your projected minutes chart works when everyone plays, but that is assuming everyone is healthy and suiting up every night.

I think it's mainly KG and Pierce that Doc is going to want to keep rested. 

While Terry isn't young himself, he is in very good shape physically.  Being an off guard and career 6th man, he doesn't take the same type of beating (or have the same type of mileage) on his body as PP and KG (who have played 30 MPG+ their whole careers, and have always played very physical).

Officially Terry is 35, but I think in terms of conditioning he's more like 32!

I think if we need to rest PP for a game we're still ok, because we can start Green at SF and both Lee and Joseph can play back up Green at that position.

Likewise if we need to rest Terry for a game we can easilly start Rondo + Lee and then Bradley and Dooling can provide backup minutes for both.

My bigger concern to be honest is KG. We don't really have a single big man who can rebound and defend the paint the way KG does - the closest we have to that is Fab Melo, and right now we have no idea how effective he's going to be.  I guess if we had to rest KG a game we could start Wilcox and have Collins / Melo / Sully back him up, but it's not optimal. 

I'd be much more confident if we had a guy like Ben Wallace who (if rotated with Wilcox) could very comfotably hold down the Center position in KG's absense on both ends of the floor.

The only real need I see for a guy like Barnes is against Miami, where it would give us yet another body to throw at Lebron on defense. I think we already have that covered pretty well though between Pierce, Green and Lee...but another to add to the list would never hurt. 

« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Matt Barnes - G/F - Lakers
According to Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated, unrestricted free agent G/F Matt Barnes is close to signing with the Clippers.
It appears that the Lakers are set to move on without Barnes, who started several games for them last season at SF. He has shown stretches where he can get hot, but he is far too inconsistent to be relied upon in standard sized leagues. He would would be a low-risk, high-reward add that would replace the toughness and defensive mentality lost with the exit of free-agent forward Kenyon Martin, but he has also said he is talking to the Mavericks, Heat and Nets as well. Stay tuned.
Related: Mavericks, Clippers, Heat
Source: Sports Illustrated Sep 12 - 5:11 PM

« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
As long as he will not be wearing green!

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
signed with clips

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
lol at us still talkin bout dis bum like i said earlier in da thread pass

TP

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Very poor decision to sign with the Clippers. They already have Caron Butler and Grant Hill there. Matt Barnes should've gone somewhere he can play. Where he can get regular minutes. Not only that but Barnes is a bad fit with a PG like Chris Paul. He doesn't even fit their team. Dumb decision.

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Very poor decision to sign with the Clippers. They already have Caron Butler and Grant Hill there. Matt Barnes should've gone somewhere he can play. Where he can get regular minutes. Not only that but Barnes is a bad fit with a PG like Chris Paul. He doesn't even fit their team. Dumb decision.

Butler is fairly injury-prone and while Hill's been very durable, he is 39 years old. I think there's a good chance that Barnes ends up starting a few games and averaging 25 minutes per game. That'll be enough to keep him on the radar for another year.