Author Topic: CBS latest mock draft  (Read 10989 times)

CBS latest mock draft
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
CBS staff mock draft

This came out yesterday and in my opinion is one of the more sensible mocks I have seen on the internet.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-to-warriors-james-wiseman-slips-to-hornets-at-no-8/live/

My criticisms are

- Vassell probably should go higher then S Bey
- P Williams probably goes around end of the lottery (they have him 30th)
- Tyrell Terry I think he goes 15-20 or back to Stanford ( they have him out of the first)
- Xavier Tillman seems to sold to not go in the first over Oturu and Stewart
- Pokusevski I really worry that he never physically gains enough weight to play in NBA but he likely goes 1st rd as a late D&S
- Cole Anthony, I have to watch the video of the pick for the explanation but this might be taking BPA to fare. Garland, Sexton and Anthony seems like a disaster. Seems like a pick that would quickly be announced as a trade. Maybe Anthony to the Suns for Avdija and additional compensation?

For the Celtics

CBS has them taking

#17 Smith
#26 Oturu
#30 P Williams

The simple critique would be to swap out Oturu for Terry and this is a great draft haul.

The problem is we are know drafting 3 first round picks without a draft and stash is very unlikely

My deeper critique of these pick would be..

Celtics cant and wouldn't pass on Vassell at #17. I would make every effort to trade all 3 picks and R Williams to Hornets to get Wiseman but after that fails Vassell is a great addition outside the lottery. BS will have issues finding minutes for Langford and Vassell off the bench but his fit in todays game is to good to pass on. If as i predict Vassell goes late lottery, depending on who gets bumped down I would draft in the following order. Hampton, Maxey, Terry, Bolmaro, Maledon, P Williams. If we say Vassell and Bey swap places then I would take Tyrell Terry. Terry's weight and lack of strength are a major red flag but he is possibly the best shooting prospect in this class to go along with high end creation and BBall IQ.

At picks #26 and #30 the Cs will have a lot of role player type options.

If P Williams is available he has to much potential to pass on at #26. He is the perfect modern swing man who could develop into a nice utility player capable of guarding larger slower wings and smaller bigs. His potential as a shooter and vertical pop give him a height ceiling then G Williams or Semi. He could develop into a solid 5th starter. If Williams goes higher as I predict then I am all for drafting Xavier Tillman. He is very much a larger G Williams. Where Grant is a traditional 4/3 who plays some 5 in the modern NBA Tillman is a 4/5 who will only play the 5 in today's game. His IQ on both ends of the floor, strength and passing will make him an instant rotation player. The development of an outside shot will be his swing skill to a increased role but even without that he is a 15mpg NBA big on a really good team right now. Jaden McDaniels would also be a hard upside pass at this pick. He is likly a bust but also have the ceiling to be one of the best players in this class. At this point I wouldn't be at all upset if the Cs just took the McDaniels gamble but the roster may be stretched having he and Terry as two rookies unlikely to be physically ready to play in the NBA.   

If the Cs are at the end of the 1st round with no trade out options then they probably have to role the dice on Aleksej Pokusevski and plan on stashing him for at least 2 years. He is a 7' big man who at around 200lbs plays on the perimeter and has outlier perimeter passing and ball handling for his size. He really needs to add 30-40lbs but if he does he could be the steal of the draft. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: CBS latest mock draft
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thanks for posting this!

Completely agree that we won't be using all 3 picks and if we do at least one will be a draft and stash guy.

I think they will try to consolidate their picks and trade up, but as we have seen in the past that is hard to pull off. If the draft plays out I think the goal would be to get up to 8 to draft Wiseman or 11 to get Okoro.

I trust Danny as a drafter especially with the late firsts. With this draft having a lot more mystery I wouldn't be surprised if he got a steal late in the first.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:16:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
tp for the update.  surprised they're bothering with a mock with everything so up in the air with the season, free agency and the draft.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Thanks for posting this!

Completely agree that we won't be using all 3 picks and if we do at least one will be a draft and stash guy.

I think they will try to consolidate their picks and trade up, but as we have seen in the past that is hard to pull off. If the draft plays out I think the goal would be to get up to 8 to draft Wiseman or 11 to get Okoro.

I trust Danny as a drafter especially with the late firsts. With this draft having a lot more mystery I wouldn't be surprised if he got a steal late in the first.

I kind of wonder if not having March Madness, along with changes to/elimination of the combine, interviews, and workouts will lead to teams falling in love with a articular player less, and being more willing to trade down for multiple shots at the draft.  That could be good for us if Danny has a target in mind and wants to move up
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
tp for the update.  surprised they're bothering with a mock with everything so up in the air with the season, free agency and the draft.

Site are desperate for content and I think extended and early draft coverage maybe a byproduct of this.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for posting this!

I kind of wonder if not having March Madness, along with changes to/elimination of the combine, interviews, and workouts will lead to teams falling in love with a articular player less, and being more willing to trade down for multiple shots at the draft.  That could be good for us if Danny has a target in mind and wants to move up

Ive heard on a couple of podcast and tend to agree that the lack of workouts and march madness may actually help some of the teams who historically fall in love with march madness stars. I suspect a lot of GMs will have to place more faith in their scouts and analytics guys.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for posting this!

agree that a consolidation trade for Wiseman is worth the gamble but cracking the top 10 will be tough from #17. I really like Okoro and he fits the mold of a DA type pick. (Reminds me a lot of J Winslow who DA almost sold the farm for). The issue like Wiseman I think Okoro goes top 10 and will be another tough player to trade for. Its also hard to trade away a lot of assets for a player who doesn't fill a need and who will not have a clear short term role. Trading up for Wiseman clearly anoites him as the Cs future center. Okoro would be an expensive asset purchase who will have to battle Romeo and Semi for minutes backing up Tatum/Brown/Hayward.

I do think there is a perfect lottery possibility that could force Wiseman or Okongwu into the range where the Cs could try to trade up for them. Part of the logic is that while BPA is the best way to draft center is the worst position to have unneeded depth and one of the lower priority positions in the NBA. This may force teams to take guards/wings instead of the draft top two bigs.

1. GS          Edwards   (they could use a big but don't take one)
2. Cavs       Ball           ( have Drummond and Thompson)
3.Min          Hayes        ( do they really need a center next to KAT? does that help them compete now?)
4. ATL         Avdija         (they have Collins and Capela)
5. Piston     Anthony      (they need a PG (Anthony/Haliburton/Hampton all seem like options), they could take a center her)
6. NYK        Haliburton    (they could take a Center but PG is their rumored priority and they have Mitchell)
7. Bulls       Okoro           (they have Carter and Lauri
8. Hornets  Okongwu/Wiseman   (hard to see them passing on one of the bigs
9. Wiz         Vassell         (this is another Center landing spot but they would prob benefit for a young wing   
10. Suns     Hampton       ( they need a back court mate for Booker Hampton/Maxey both seem like decent fit)***

**** this would be the spot that I would target for the trade up. If Wiseman or Okongwu are avaiable at 10 and the Suns value Maledon/Mannion/Terry/Lewis as potential starters next to Booker then maybe offer #17+#28+future protect for #10
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What if the Bulls do really like Wiseman? Could a couple firsts this year be enough to get Carter? I think he is a good player.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
What if the Bulls do really like Wiseman? Could a couple firsts this year be enough to get Carter? I think he is a good player.

I agree Carter would be great on the celtics. If im the bulls new GM he is probably the only player I keep from the current roster.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
CBS staff mock draft

This came out yesterday and in my opinion is one of the more sensible mocks I have seen on the internet.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-to-warriors-james-wiseman-slips-to-hornets-at-no-8/live/

My criticisms are

- Tyrell Terry I think he goes 15-20 or back to Stanford ( they have him out of the first)
- Pokusevski I really worry that he never physically gains enough weight to play in NBA but he likely goes 1st rd as a late D&S
- Cole Anthony, I have to watch the video of the pick for the explanation but this might be taking BPA to fare. Garland, Sexton and Anthony seems like a disaster. Seems like a pick that would quickly be announced as a trade. Maybe Anthony to the Suns for Avdija and additional compensation?

For the Celtics

CBS has them taking

#17 Smith
#26 Oturu
#30 P Williams

The simple critique would be to swap out Oturu for Terry and this is a great draft haul.

The problem is we are know drafting 3 first round picks without a draft and stash is very unlikely

Celtics cant and wouldn't pass on Vassell at #17. I would make every effort to trade all 3 picks and R Williams to Hornets to get Wiseman but after that fails Vassell is a great addition outside the lottery. BS will have issues finding minutes for Langford and Vassell off the bench but his fit in todays game is to good to pass on. If as i predict Vassell goes late lottery, depending on who gets bumped down I would draft in the following order. Hampton, Maxey, Terry, Bolmaro, Maledon, P Williams. If we say Vassell and Bey swap places then I would take Tyrell Terry. Terry's weight and lack of strength are a major red flag but he is possibly the best shooting prospect in this class to go along with high end creation and BBall IQ.

If P Williams is available he has to much potential to pass on at #26. He is the perfect modern swing man who could develop into a nice utility player capable of guarding larger slower wings and smaller bigs. His potential as a shooter and vertical pop give him a height ceiling then G Williams or Semi. He could develop into a solid 5th starter. If Williams goes higher as I predict then I am all for drafting Xavier Tillman. He is very much a larger G Williams. Where Grant is a traditional 4/3 who plays some 5 in the modern NBA Tillman is a 4/5 who will only play the 5 in today's game. His IQ on both ends of the floor, strength and passing will make him an instant rotation player. The development of an outside shot will be his swing skill to a increased role but even without that he is a 15mpg NBA big on a really good team right now. Jaden McDaniels would also be a hard upside pass at this pick. He is likly a bust but also have the ceiling to be one of the best players in this class. At this point I wouldn't be at all upset if the Cs just took the McDaniels gamble but the roster may be stretched having he and Terry as two rookies unlikely to be physically ready to play in the NBA.   

If the Cs are at the end of the 1st round with no trade out options then they probably have to role the dice on Aleksej Pokusevski and plan on stashing him for at least 2 years. He is a 7' big man who at around 200lbs plays on the perimeter and has outlier perimeter passing and ball handling for his size. He really needs to add 30-40lbs but if he does he could be the steal of the draft. 

Vassell worries me that he ends up like James Young

He is also slender and not the best athlete

At best he ends up becoming like a Shaun Livingstone ....body needs work

Patrick Williams is raw and at this point an athlete disguised as a basketball player.   I like his potential and could consider taking him at 26.   If he could end up becoming OG Anunoby, that would be a nice find

I'm surprised that on the CBS list Mannion and Josh Green is rated so low

I doubt that Danny would let one of these slip by 17 (unless someone else better is also available)

I still think

17. Josh Green

26. (pick traded for future 1st)

30.  Kaleb Wesson

46. Killian Tillie

will be the picks

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Patrick Williams with 17
Carey or Stewart with 26
Maker with 45
Trade 30 for future first

I see poirier kanter and ojeleje leaving.. I like those picks

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I doubt GSW take Ball unless it's for a trade

I see them taking Toppin one way or the other

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 07:53:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
CBS staff mock draft

My criticisms are

For the Celtics

CBS has them taking

#17 Smith
#26 Oturu
#30 P Williams

Vassell worries me that he ends up like James Young

He is also slender and not the best athlete

At best he ends up becoming like a Shaun Livingstone ....body needs work

Patrick Williams is raw and at this point an athlete disguised as a basketball player.   I like his potential and could consider taking him at 26.   If he could end up becoming OG Anunoby, that would be a nice find

I'm surprised that on the CBS list Mannion and Josh Green is rated so low

I doubt that Danny would let one of these slip by 17 (unless someone else better is also available)

I still think

17. Josh Green

26. (pick traded for future 1st)

30.  Kaleb Wesson

46. Killian Tillie

will be the picks

I find it hard to comp Vassell to Young. I actually think Young projected with a high ceiling coming out of college but a much lower floor then Vassell and Young hit that floor. Where Young had the potential to become a big time scorer who could conceivably hit a ceiling of a 1st/2nd option 20ppg player I view Vassell's ceiling capped as a high end 3-D type and think he has shown enough as a defender in college to warrant a pretty high floor as a rotational piece on a good team.

Mannion will be interesting to watch on draft night, he is clearly a high IQ floor general who can shoot and will find a place in the NBA. The problem I have with him is if he is a good enough athlete to get to the rim or consistently defend other teams starting PGs. I worry that he will be a player stuck not good enough to start so he becomes a high end backup who can easily have his production replicated by less talented role player type PGs.

Green is a player I wouldn't mind the Cs drafting. I see him having a Courtney Lee like NBA career both are good athletes with good size who player good perimeter defense. Nothing spectacular but like Lee Green should be a player capable of starting as a role player or playing a key rotational role on a good team. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 08:05:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I agree its unlikely they take Ball ultimately I think they will look to trade down to target a player who can provide them with bench minutes this year. I see  Avdija, Hayes, Haliburton, Nesmith, S Bey, or Okoro (if they think he can shoot) as logical trade back targets. Ball would be an interesting fit as the Warriors have the best chance of fixing his D and shot and could really unlock his elite passing but I doubt they want the project or potential distraction in Ball.

I'm not sold they would want Toppin because he is a liability on D and would not be a guy they can play in crunch time of a playoff game. As good as he is on offense he is a likely negative on D and without legit big man size if he is given big minutes he will be tough to hide in the playoffs. The funny thing with Toppin is I think he is the favorite in this class to be rookie of the year. If he goes to a team like the Knicks where he can start and get looks on offense I can easily see him as a 15-18ppg 7rb guy who gets his fair share of ESPN highlights. I'm just not sold he can contribute enough on D to ever be a winning player.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'm not sure I understand your thinking here. Toppin is not a great passer and a very questionable defender. That doesn't really fit the mold of their offense.

If you think they want a rim runner, they could get one off the scrap heap for a vet minimum.

Unless they think Toppin is clear and away the best prospect in the draft, I doubt they would take him.