Patriots
4 (8.3%)
Celtics
14 (29.2%)
Bruins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: September 19, 2010, 11:04:12 AM

Author Topic: Most popular Boston sports team  (Read 24569 times)

Most popular Boston sports team
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
From reading Patsfan forum and some articles said that the Pats had better tv ratings than the Sawx do. I think the Sox are the biggest team since the media and lots of people love them. The Pats are big as well but most of the media doesn't go over their nuts like they do with the Sawx. Celtics are big but not like the other teams. Bruins same thing but they are 4th in beantown. Here is how my list of who the biggest team based on the media and fans.

1 Red Sox

2 Patriots

3 Celtics sadly

4 Bruins

Re: Most popular Boston sports team
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Football ratings will always be higher, in part because there's only one game per week.  However, the most popular team in town is, by far, the Sox.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
Football ratings will always be higher, in part because there's only one game per week.  However, the most popular team in town is, by far, the Sox.

That true. I defintley agree that the Sawx are the most popular team.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

From my observations, casual fans only started talking (to me and others) about the Celtics a couple years ago when it was clear they were back. Even so, I doubt the C's are more popular than Pats/Sox. I wonder how many sub-0.500 Sox teams/consecutive-years in a row would it take for the Celtics to overcome the Red Sox in popularity, assuming Danny Ainge can work more magic to keep the Celtics in championship contention during the same time frame? Would it need to take that and another blue-collar "Larry Bird" type player whom fans can relate to?

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
The Celtics and Bruins were more popular I think then the Patriots before Kraft bought the team.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:14:04 PM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

From my observations, casual fans only started talking (to me and others) about the Celtics a couple years ago when it was clear they were back. Even so, I doubt the C's are more popular than Pats/Sox. I wonder how many sub-0.500 Sox teams/consecutive-years in a row would it take for the Celtics to overcome the Red Sox in popularity, assuming Danny Ainge can work more magic to keep the Celtics in championship contention during the same time frame? Would it need to take that and another blue-collar "Larry Bird" type player whom fans can relate to?

I don't think it will ever happen. Boston is a baseball town.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

It is now, but who knows, right?  Back in the 70s, from everything I've heard the Bruins were the most popular team in town by a fairly wide margin.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

It is now, but who knows, right?  Back in the 70s, from everything I've heard the Bruins were the most popular team in town by a fairly wide margin.

And the 80's could be the Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

Bruins were hot back then but Sox have always been the top team since I can remember (which goes back to '69-'70.) 

Popularity in Boston (and New England in general) is Sox #1 by a large margin. 

Celtics/Pats/Bruins rotate through the 2-4 spots depending on team success.  70's saw the Bruins as the second most popular (thanks to Bobby Orr and team) with Celtics 3rd.

80's, C's were second thanks to Bird.  Pats/Bruins went 3/4 depending on who had the better year.  Bourque and Neely were the only reason the Bruins had a pulse in town

90's Pats surged to second, C's fell off as did the Bruins.  C's probably 3rd for early in the decade thanks to the residual Big 3-effect.

00's Pats were still second and C's/Bruins still way back in 3/4 position.  Bruins probably a little ahead thanks to the Thornton buzz.  C's came back to third thanks to the championship.

10's --> I'm optimistic C's remain a top team and win titles the next couple of years and surpass the Pats.  Pats will drop back as they fade to the middle of the NFL talent pack.  Bruins could surge to 3rd if this new kid they got in the draft is as good as advertised and they other players develop as hoped. 

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
I think the Pats will still be the second team in Boston/New England.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Globally though i think the celtics are more popular than the pats by quite a large margin

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

Bruins were hot back then but Sox have always been the top team since I can remember (which goes back to '69-'70.) 

Popularity in Boston (and New England in general) is Sox #1 by a large margin. 

Celtics/Pats/Bruins rotate through the 2-4 spots depending on team success.  70's saw the Bruins as the second most popular (thanks to Bobby Orr and team) with Celtics 3rd.

80's, C's were second thanks to Bird.  Pats/Bruins went 3/4 depending on who had the better year.  Bourque and Neely were the only reason the Bruins had a pulse in town

90's Pats surged to second, C's fell off as did the Bruins.  C's probably 3rd for early in the decade thanks to the residual Big 3-effect.

00's Pats were still second and C's/Bruins still way back in 3/4 position.  Bruins probably a little ahead thanks to the Thornton buzz.  C's came back to third thanks to the championship.

10's --> I'm optimistic C's remain a top team and win titles the next couple of years and surpass the Pats.  Pats will drop back as they fade to the middle of the NFL talent pack.  Bruins could surge to 3rd if this new kid they got in the draft is as good as advertised and they other players develop as hoped. 
A quick correction, from Booby Orr's rookie season until the 1975 World Series run of the Red Sox, the Bruins were easily the toast of the town and the most popular team in this city. They were big than rock stars and sports stars put together. They OWNED this city.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »

Offline PatsCelts

• Xavier Tillman
I guess the Bruins owned the city in the 70's.

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
1. Sox
2. Celtics  (Since KG & Ray & Title)
3. Pats  (Very close behind)
4. Bruins  (Too bad ... this was a hockey town in the 70's)
5. Revs  (Should've been on the list, at least - soccer's growing fast)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 03:09:37 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
It's

1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins