Author Topic: Hardest sport to go pro in  (Read 18986 times)

Hardest sport to go pro in
« on: December 18, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
Just had an argument with my friends and i was curious as to what all of you guys think.  We were arguing whether the NBA or MLB is a harder sport to make it to the pros.  Out of the 6 of us, i am the only one who played organized basketball and is a fan of basketball and the rest are more baseball fans so its a tough argument.  I truly feel the NBA is a harder sport to make it to the pro's especially because of the height argument.  What do you guys think?

Re: Hardest sport to go pro in
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:25:55 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Just had an argument with my friends and i was curious as to what all of you guys think.  We were arguing whether the NBA or MLB is a harder sport to make it to the pros.  Out of the 6 of us, i am the only one who played organized basketball and is a fan of basketball and the rest are more baseball fans so its a tough argument.  I truly feel the NBA is a harder sport to make it to the pro's especially because of the height argument.  What do you guys think?

Basketball is harder to go pro in. Exceptional athleticism AND incredible skill, plus the fact that the pool of viable candidates is significantly reduced by the height requirements.

Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah, absolutely basketball ... though the truly toughest sport to go pro in is curling or RPS, (rock-paper-scissors). ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Definitely the NBA. Fewer roster spots and the need to be rather tall compared to the general population.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Basketball for sure, mainly for the limited Roster Size and the height requirements; with apolagies to Nate Robinson and Mugsy Bogues.

Also each MLB team has several (probably 5 plus) minor league franchises which pay to play baseball so even though they are not in the big league they are still professional.

In that sense though, it is probably harder to be a pro baseball player on a worldwide scale because their are professional basketball leagues on every continent

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Athleticism and skill seem irrelevant to this question since going pro is a competition against other people, not against yourself.

What is relevant is the ratio of pro opportunities to # of people with the desire to go pro. We should also include the average career length in the equation since high turnover means there are more opportunities.

If we include minor leagues (which is pro) providing a ridiculous number of pro roster spots, baseball is easier.

This is of course a statistical exercise. Applying this analysis to any individual would be misguided because individuals have different potentials.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:22:11 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Between NBA and MLB, NBA and it's not even close.

Overall? NFL. If you're body isn't strong, you may not even make college unless you're a punter/FG kicker.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:39:59 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'd say basketball only because they have the smallest rosters.  I do understand what your friends are saying though.  Since the hardest thing in all of sports is to hit a baseball, I guess it would be the toughest to gain the skills to be a professional baseball player.
do it

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:39:09 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Curling. Go ahead, try to find a pro league.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:46:40 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Yeah, absolutely basketball ... though the truly toughest sport to go pro in is curling or RPS, (rock-paper-scissors). ;)

Bahku, I posted my curling response before I read this post. I guess great minds think alike.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Easily it's the NBA. They have small rosters and tall players. The average player in the NBA (around 6'6") is almost nine inches taller than the average American.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
easiest sport to go pro in: golf or bowling?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is this "of people who have a reasonable shot?"

most of the population is precluded from the NBA based on height. but height matters way less in baseball than basketball, so the pool of competitors is waaaay bigger for baseball. You have to consider the fact too that baseball players generally make much more money, so a lot of on the fence athletes will swing that way, increasing the talent pool even more. Additionally, baseball players stay viable for longer, due to the less strenuous nature of the game.

If we count major leagues only (discounting euroball, d-league, aba, and the minor leagues) and narrow it down to athlete X who is equally talented in basketball and baseball, it's tough, but I'd say it's harder to make it in baseball. Unless generic athlete X is going to be a star, remember that he can make 5 times as much money by being a baseball roleplayer than a basketball roleplayer, so he's going against all other generic athlete x's.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Thoughts that went through my head

Golf?  It seems like at any time of all the golfers in the world there's only handful of pros

Tennis? International sport, only a few tennis players

Soccer?  If it's the biggest sport in the world then the most people play it, but there's only so many pros

But between baseball and basketball I definitely think basketball

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:36 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If we count major leagues only (discounting euroball, d-league, aba, and the minor leagues) and narrow it down to athlete X who is equally talented in basketball and baseball, it's tough, but I'd say it's harder to make it in baseball.

I think that's right.  Also, for whatever it's worth, I think there are more stiffs playing pro basketball than any other sport.  If you're 7'0" and even slightly athletic, you've got a very good shot at the NBA, whereas similar things can't be said in other sports.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions