Author Topic: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread  (Read 73528 times)

Re: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 02:43:22 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Great game this morning by team USA. 

Yao played tough, too.

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 02:50:55 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
anyone else think it's interesting that the Chinese team are wearing jerseys that say "China" on the front instead of Chinese characters?   Also... in China don't they technically say Ming before Yao?... and yet his jersey says "Yao Ming". 

Does this just tell us how important American culture is over there?

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
anyone else think it's interesting that the Chinese team are wearing jerseys that say "China" on the front instead of Chinese characters?   Also... in China don't they technically say Ming before Yao?... and yet his jersey says "Yao Ming". 

Yao is the family name, and in asian culture it comes first.  So the chinese jerseys says the family name first 'Yao' then their name second 'ming'  all the other (or most that I saw) players had both their names on the jerseys.

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15

Yao is the family name, and in asian culture it comes first.  So the chinese jerseys says the family name first 'Yao' then their name second 'ming'  all the other (or most that I saw) players had both their names on the jerseys.

Umm yeah, but... don't you think it's a little funny that the games are in China and the jerseys have english lettering on them instead of their own language?

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't know, I have seen China on other sports too.  Even though Chinese is their language, they also have the regular letters too and that's more universal, so maybe instead of segregating themselves they use the latter form.  The same goes with Japanese, Korean, and Arabic.  I don't think I have ever seen their own writing in a sports athletic apparel.

I did notice that the Chinese jersey were the same style as the American jerseys except for the colors.  I think that has more to do with Nike promoting them than our own culture.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
Yea, Japan is definitely written normally.  I just saw a Japanese swimmer receiving his medal and his jacket was written "JAPAN".  By the way, Japan has a beautiful national anthem.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 11:32:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Unbelievable, man.  If anybody just saw that relay between the U.S. and France, it was just incredible. 

Michael Phelps is still on track.  I'm a bit in disbelief about how pumped I am about a swim race.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Unbelievable, man.  If anybody just saw that relay between the U.S. and France, it was just incredible. 

Michael Phelps is still on track.  I'm a bit in disbelief about how pumped I am about a swim race.

That was sick.  Just woke up everyone else in my apartment complex yelling...even the announcers wrote them off to Silver...what a finish!
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 11:44:48 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I was watching that with my dad and like somebody said, I have never been so pumped about a swim race.  The real star was the last guy.  Those last 4-5 strokes were absolutely huge.  That was awesome!
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Whooooo! Go USA! Swimming only works at the olympics but what a race!

The trailor swimmer was absolutly slicing through the water-you could see him explode off the wall coming off the turn and he just seemed to dig his way through the water to catch up to frenchie. Wow

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
that was just one of the most spectacular rely races i have ever seen.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01:31 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
So what are the odds all these swimmers are taking performance enhancing drugs that do not show up in tests? I mean these swimmers keep breaking world records by seconds, which is quite a lot.

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 01:32:50 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
So what are the odds all these swimmers are taking performance enhancing drugs that do not show up in tests? I mean these swimmers keep breaking world records by seconds, which is quite a lot.

There's always that possibility but I like to think most swimming events are 'tainted'. One of the main reasons for the influx of broken world records and all-time fast swims are the new speedos the swimmers are wearing; the 'Laser' Suit.

It was designed in conjunction with NASA with their wind tunnels and other testing procedures, and is meant to channel the water flow along the body much better. The suits are extremely tight, and require the assisstance of a second person to get the swimmer in them.

Another reason is the sport is at a very solid level of competition at present. Every race is pratically full of swimmers who have a chance to medal.

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
They were also saying that one difference between Phelps last Olympics and this one is that he actually did some resistance training with weights that should improve his power stroke.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
Not to put down the spirit of competition or whatver

But has anyone seen Bia and Bianca Feres?

[dang]