Author Topic: Are Barrett and Williamson better prospects than Tatum?  (Read 7590 times)

Are Barrett and Williamson better prospects than Tatum?
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:22:58 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm saying it's close. Both guys have really impressed me in their stints at Duke.

Williamson projects as a Blake Griffin type, and I've heard Barrett draw comparisons to guys like Grant Hill/TMac.

I don't see any way both those guys don't have stellar careers, but it's hard to imagine either of them coming into the league and playing like Tatum did in the 18' playoffs.

I've only seen 3 or 4 Duke games this year, so i'm hoping a more avid bluedevils watcher can give me some more insight on the ceilings of both these guys.

Re: Are Barrett and Williamson better prospects than Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:24:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yes, they are both better prospects, but you have a much better idea regarding Tatum and his likelihood to hit his peak.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:01:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think in terms of comparing JT at this stage to these two they have the edge, and it isn't too close. Both averaging over 20 points, over 7 rebounds and over 2 assists per game, with Zion averaging 2 blocks and 2 steals in less than 30MPG.

However, given we've seen JT play really impressive ball in the Playoffs and this season it's a bit closer. Considering their age I give the edge to the youngsters in terms of their value outside of Boston, but I don't know that Ainge or Coach Stevens would think they're better prospects
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:25:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes -- I'd happily trade Tatum for either one of those guys.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Since it’s likely that New Orleans probably regards both guys as better prospects than Tatum, does it worry anyone that the Knicks will get a top two pick and use it as the centerpiece in an AD trade?

Worst case scenario is Knicks trade top 2 Pick, Knox, Ntilikina, Thomas for Davis. Then still have 2 max slots for Kyrie and Durant.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:24:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Since it’s likely that New Orleans probably regards both guys as better prospects than Tatum, does it worry anyone that the Knicks will get a top two pick and use it as the centerpiece in an AD trade?

Worst case scenario is Knicks trade top 2 Pick, Knox, Ntilikina, Thomas for Davis. Then still have 2 max slots for Kyrie and Durant.

This is certainly a worry, but NOP better be 100% that one of these guys (or Morant) will be at least as good as Tatum or they will have blown their chance at a premium return. Tatum has shown what he can do on the biggest stage and is regarded as the best player from his draft. Zion/Barrett have a lot of potential, but we have seen far too many top prospects not only not live up to expectations, but completely fall flat on their faces.

If I'm the Pelicans, I go with the sure thing in Tatum (plus likely Smart or Brown, picks, etc)...unless of course Zion/Barrett project to be Lebron/AD level prospects.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't get the zion hype at all... I'd sign him to do the halftime show as long as his knees hold up. which - considering his weight - they won't.

there have always been good looking prospects... and there have always been busts. :)
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Yes. That's my single-biggest concern regarding a potential trade. And Zion has to look good to New York. Can you imagine that guy on that big a stage? If he's any good, they'll be selling merchandise faster than they can make it.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I wouldn't say Barrett is a better prospect, but people always start to fall in love with prospects who aren't even in the league yet, so who knows? Once drafted he'll lose 10% of his value and then halfway through Barrett's first season he'll lose 30% of his pre-draft value. He has major flaws that will prevent him from being a star prospect if not addressed early.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't get the zion hype at all... I'd sign him to do the halftime show as long as his knees hold up. which - considering his weight - they won't.

there have always been good looking prospects... and there have always been busts. :)

Other than injury I don't see Zion being a complete bust. I did have that opinion before the college season started, not realizing that he's a real ball player, not just an athlete. He'll find ways to be effective. Does not have a low floor, in my opinion. But his shooting will need to improve to max his potential.

I do think he's a better prospect than Tatum because he needs less to break right for him to reach his ceiling.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe they are in terms of college production. Tatum was coming off injury and never got to fully dominate. If we are talking today One for One in my mind Tatum is better as a prospect than both of them in terms of the current NBA team game. If you have faith on them developing as good or better than Tatum than that's your gamble. Tatum has good physical tools but is more skill reliant and can score 20 a night while in a NBA system. I think those two require iso spread or broken plays to score. They could develop not hating on them.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Better prospect at time of draft or right now? If it's the latter, I'd be dumbfounded by some of these responses.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wouldn't say Barrett is a better prospect, but people always start to fall in love with prospects who aren't even in the league yet, so who knows? Once drafted he'll lose 10% of his value and then halfway through Barrett's first season he'll lose 30% of his pre-draft value. He has major flaws that will prevent him from being a star prospect if not addressed early.
What are those flaws?

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Taking Tatum's NBA success out of the equation and looking at all three as College Freshman I would rank them

Zion
Barrett
Tatum

With what we know about Tatum I would rank them

Zion
Tatum
Barrett

I do not think there is a huge gap between Tatum and Zion as I feel both players can be eventually be the #1 guy on a championship team / perennial all NBA 1st team players. In 5 years I could easily see Tatum as a 25+ppg dominate scoring wing and Zion as a 20pt 10rb double double machine. I am also high on Barret but I see him more as a 2nd option type star who will still be a perennial all star but might not have the game to carry an elite team.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Williamson is, potentially, a freak. Just so physically imposing. Too soon to know how that translates, and what his work ethic is, but I would say it gives him the highest ceiling.

ZW’s ceiling is essentially LeBron. Maybe better. But that’s his *ceiling*. Does he have the same drive to dominate? Can he stay healthy? Remains to be seen. But what he’s doing to college basketball is insane.

Tatum’s ceiling, I would say, is top 5 - 10 NBA player. Maybe something like Durant, more likely a hair below. I think his odds of getting close to that ceiling are better than ZW, just based on the longer track record.