Author Topic: Amazed at critcisms of Stevens and Tatum  (Read 2663 times)

Re: Amazed at critcisms of Stevens and Tatum
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Can't agree more with the OP.

Tatum just turned 21 years old. And Brad Stevens didn't just forget how to coach overnight.

I know everyone's frustrated and all, but... breathe.

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

As for Tatum, he's been inconsistent (like a lot of this year's Celtics), he's taken WAY too many midrange shots, he's been a bad defender, and (most annoyingly for me) he complains to the refs after just about every one of his shots. Basically, he's become Kobe without the high scoring output.

The Kobe comparison comes up a lot because of the off-season story about him training with Kobe.

But to me the more apt comparison is somebody like Otto Porter.  Statistically they are very similar.

Porter's fine, but I think we would all agree that we expect a lot more from Jayson.  Especially since Jayson is already at the Otto Porter level in his second season, whereas Porter took until his fourth season at age 23 to get there.

The major similarities to Porter are the passiveness and the over-reliance on mid-range shots, with painfully few free throw attempts despite a 6'8'' frame and decent athleticism.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was hoping for more from Tatum this year, but that doesn't mean bust. I would have expected a jump in his PER, not to stay exactly the same at 15.2. I also would have hoped for an increase in Free throw attempts given his natural ability to get to the rim; instead they have gone down (3.2 to 3.0) despite taking 2 more 2 point attempts per game (3 more total attempts per game, but 1 of those is one full additional 3 pointer per game). This is not the progression you'd want from a scorer, but he still has massive room to grow.

I was hoping for more from Brad. But I don't think it is unsalvageable. How much of stagnation of Tatum do you put on Brad? Is he encouraging Tatum's shot selection? If he is, why? If not, why isn't it changing? Seems like Brad and Kyrie may not be on the same page. I genuinely think the Hayward thing has been a big negative this year, since Hayward has essentially been gifted minutes and touches; while I get the strategy behind this in terms of playoffs and long term, I think it did increase resentment, especially with a lot of forced late-game minutes and touches and even last second designed plays for Hayward early in the season that were clearly not earned given his health. The double whammy is not just him coming back from injury, but the prior history as Brad's "Golden Child" from college. Combined with some young guys wanting their own minutes, and the situation was not handled well.

That being said, This was going to be a weird year. I want to see the playoffs. I want to see a full healthy offseason. I would LOVE to sign a 26 year old Kyrie to a 4 year deal. I'd love to see a full additional season of growth and have Rozier and Morris replaced with defense/rebounding glue guys with a healthier hayward, Tatum, and Brown shooting more next year.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Tatum is a soft/finesse player at this point in his career. Any contact made on him and he will lose the ball out of bounds. He simply needs to get stronger. He is weak and he goes up weak and he gets denied a lot. Once he gets stronger he will be alright.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 06:28:33 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm amazed at the lack of criticism of Tatum.

He has clearly checked out because he thinks he will be traded this summer.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm amazed at the lack of criticism of Tatum.

He has clearly checked out because he thinks he will be traded this summer.

ThIS^^^^.TP

You can say what you want about Smart, many on here have, but lack of effort is not one of them .  And one thing this fan base in particular is not very forgiving of, and rightfully so, is lack of effort .
Which is why Tatum since the trade deadline and Hayward earlier were perceived that way (right or wrong) by many and treated critically.

Stevens is commiting the second cardinal sin (which Smart committed prior to this year by his insistence on shooting 3s), which is being stubborn and not changing,and not learning by his mistakes.Again, something that is not forgiven/tolerated by this fan base, and nor it should be.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Tatum knows he is gonna be traded ,  if the offer beats Lakers and Zion pick not offered ....which youD be crazy to trade first pick for Davis being its Zion.

Davis deal looming , plus Haywards injury issues  and playing time for too many assets , have nixed the Boston season to be special. 

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Tatum knows he is gonna be traded ,  if the offer beats Lakers and Zion pick not offered ....which youD be crazy to trade first pick for Davis being its Zion.

Davis deal looming , plus Haywards injury issues  and playing time for too many assets , have nixed the Boston season to be special. 

KYYYYYYYYY RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

can't wait
LET'S GO CELTICS!