Author Topic: Why is there so much hype for KAT? He hasn't won anything  (Read 4523 times)

Why is there so much hype for KAT? He hasn't won anything
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:39:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
98.5 guys stated that in order to trade for KAT it starts with Brown or Tatum. Likely Tatum

Which is crazy imo

KAT not only has not won anything, Jimmy Butler called him out due to lack of professionalism and effort on the court. 

Just curious why he gets so much hype. Or fans hope to trade for him.   Is it really believable that he is a franchise type big?

Re: Why is there so much hype for KAT? He hasn't won anything
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No one can do it alone so dont blame KAT for Wolves issues. I would put JB on the level of KAT just because wings are so impactful. Tatum is above KAT.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Plus I am pretty sure Embid owns him.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do yourself a favor and stop listening to 98.5. They have next to nobody that really knows the NBA and talk of trading for KAT is just radio's version of click bait.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
You could say the same about KG in 2007? Except KG was 30ish whereas KAT is still only 25.

Mind you, KG is a HOFer whereas KAT is not, but in terms of ranking of bigs of where KAT is relative to the league in his day? Well, that ranking is very comparable to where KG stood during his time in Minnesota.

He’s elite and in need of a better home. That much is clear. And a change of scenery would help him a lot.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You could say the same about KG in 2007? Except KG was 30ish whereas KAT is still only 25.

Mind you, KG is a HOFer whereas KAT is not, but in terms of ranking of bigs of where KAT is relative to the league in his day? Well, that ranking is very comparable to where KG stood during his time in Minnesota.

He’s elite and in need of a better home. That much is clear. And a change of scenery would help him a lot.

KG actually carried the Wolves far into the playoffs

And there is no comparison. KG was a fierce competitor
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:46:21 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For real?

Doncic hasn't won anything, is he not worth trading for? What about consensus #1 picks like Zion? The argument about winning when trying to evaluate single player talent is a bad one.

Also, anyone who has watched Minny this season would have seen a different KAT. He's playing the best defence of his career, and we all know that he's a top 3 big when it comes to offensive talent. I really think his traumatic offseason changed him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
A lot of misconceptions in this thread:

KAT is not KG - When in minnesota KG proved he could win and go far in the playoffs when surrounded with players that can play. KAT has had some players around him and done nothing. Someone said he's having his best season this season and the team is nowhere near the playoffs this season. KAT is no KG!

The guys on 98.5 understand the NBA better than most celtics fans.

They were right about if a deal for KAT we're to happen between BOS and MINN BOS would have to give up either tatum or brown. That's what MINN would expect, that's the going rate. Marcus smart isn't getting that deal done.

Also they didn't even bring the scenario up, it was a caller that posed the question.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 06:08:38 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Also outside of AD winning it last yr. I believe it's a misconception that you need a big with the talent of the likes of embiid, AD & KAT. I look at those guys as luxury guys, they're great if you have em but you don't need em.

Would I take em on the celtics? Of course. But trading tatum or brown for him is pointless because we're still in the same boat but with different pieces. If we could add him to tatum and brown now we're talking

We don't have anything to get him so all set.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

KAT is not KG - When in minnesota KG proved he could win and go far in the playoffs when surrounded with players that can play. KAT has had some players around him and done nothing. Someone said he's having his best season this season and the team is nowhere near the playoffs this season. KAT is no KG!

Never going to try and make the argument that KAT is KG, but KAT has had to deal with just as bad management as KG did. KAT has had one team where the roster hasn't been total garbage.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am not sure "hasn't won anything" is a good criteria. Perhaps it should be "can he win anything?". Personally I think he is soft and does not have a killer instinct like a KG or I hate to say it "Embid". I don't need a "soft" center that can put up numbers during the year but will collapse under pressure. I pass on KAT.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 06:20:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I am not sure "hasn't won anything" is a good criteria. Perhaps it should be "can he win anything?". Personally I think he is soft and does not have a killer instinct like a KG or I hate to say it "Embid". I don't need a "soft" center that can put up numbers during the year but will collapse under pressure. I pass on KAT.
What killer instinct has Embiid shown getting bounced in numerous playoff series where his team has had more talent?

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 06:38:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What killer instinct has Embiid shown getting bounced in numerous playoff series where his team has had more talent?

Embid hasn't won anything yet either but I have never seen him fold under pressure. I want him to but he seems to be on a mission this year. KAT seems to me to be a numbers guy on a bad team but when playing tough teams or a tough center it's like KAT where are you?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Some CeltsStrong folks want KAT - I want no part of a mentally soft superstar who averages big points & rebounds until it really counts.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 07:10:42 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Some CeltsStrong folks want KAT - I want no part of a mentally soft superstar who averages big points & rebounds until it really counts.

I originally loved KAT but the more I've seen the less I like him as a foundational cornerstone, I personally can't remember a team having any type of success around a extremely poor defensive centre. Not only that but he doesn't look like he's ever been in great shape considering how young he is and I don't think you can make the Embiid comparison because Joel has had lots of major injuries that caused him to fluctuate weight.

I think the best possible comparison for KAT would be Moses Malone but that would only relative to his style of play.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine