Author Topic: Hansen Called Up by Red Sox  (Read 9819 times)

Hansen Called Up by Red Sox
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

I also noticed that Hansen has pitched 7 innings so far in Pawtucket, with just 2 hits, no earned runs, and 8 strikeouts.  Hopefully he is getting his confidence back, and is able to give this team a little something in the second half. 

Maybe sooner. They called Hansen up and sent down Pauley today. It makes sense. They're probably reluctant to use Paps or Oki, and MDC may still have the flu. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hansen as early as tonight. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed with the club.

Here's his updated line at Pawtucket:

12.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 13 K's, 4 BB, .073 AVG.  :o

This guy had fallen out of many people's top 20 prospects IN THE SYSTEM just this off season. Good to see him back on his feet. Let the Hansen era resume......

Hansen Called Up by Red Sox
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Nice!  I hope he can turn it around.  It was a little unfair how he was thrown into the fire when he first came up, but I guess some guys can handle it.  He always seemed like a good kid though.
Yup

Re: Hansen Called Up by Red Sox
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
very much pulling for him.

Think about the game on Monday and how many of the players in uniform for that game played in Pawtucket in the past 24 months:
Pedroia,
Ellsbury,
Lowrie,
Bucholtz,
Cash,
Thurston,
Delcarmen
Lester
(not to mention - Moss, Paulie and now Hansen who've played for the big team, but weren't in uniform on Monday)

Plus on the Rangers side
Gabbard
Murphy

A pretty good track record for Theo.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
This is likely a very short stint...good that he would be the guy they bring up, and he has certainly performed well, but I would assume he is going back to pawtucket as soon as mike lowell is ready to be activated off the dl (which shouldnt be much longer)

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
The '05 draft alone resulted in Ellsbury, Hansen, Buchholz, Lowrie, and Bowden. Needless to say the jury's still out on just how good all of these players are, but that's pretty impressive drarfting as it stands now.

OT: I just read on SOSH that Dice- K is the latest flu victim, and Lester is set to start in his place on three days rest...........Unless he gets the flu in the next hour or so.......

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Man o man it's always hard to repeat as champs but the deck just keeps getting stacked higher against these guys.  I don't think they will win the championship this year as the trip will come back to rear its ugly head when it comes time to make the playoff run.

However so far they are doing a great job of proving me wrong.  They survived the initial fatigue from that absurd trip, and now are fighting off the flu while going on a nice winning streak.  There have already been some magical nights at Fenway, making some comebacks.  They are very fun to watch and it should be an interesting year.  Hopefully the pitching will get better and they can make another run and keep proving me wrong.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Anyone ever hear Peter Gammons on the big show talking about Hansen, he would gush on and on about how great was and how great he was going to be, hopefully he will still be right.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Anyone ever hear Peter Gammons on the big show talking about Hansen, he would gush on and on about how great was and how great he was going to be, hopefully he will still be right.

When the sox drafted Hansen he had a very unique throwing motion.  The Sox tried to change his pitching motion.  He lost confidence and movement in his slider which effected everything (including his ability to locate pitches).

He has recently said that he gave up the motion the Sox were pushing and went back to his old style.  Since then, he has been close to lights out (similar to when they drafted him). 

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So, is he pitching tonight? Or who is since Matsuzaka was scratched?

Edit: Looks like it's Lester on 3 day rest... would've thought that Wakefield would've been better on short rest.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Edit: Looks like it's Lester on 3 day rest... would've thought that Wakefield would've been better on short rest.

Wakefield would have been on just 2 days rest.  Even for a knuckleballer, that is asking a lot.

As far as Hansen, I was very impressed with him last night.  He made that one mistake, but other than that, he looked dominant.  More importantly though, he looked confident.  He really could help this club as the season goes on. 

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Wakefield would have been on just 2 days rest.  Even for a knuckleballer, that is asking a lot.

As far as Hansen, I was very impressed with him last night.  He made that one mistake, but other than that, he looked dominant.  More importantly though, he looked confident.  He really could help this club as the season goes on. 

Wake is also generally VERY good against the rays (when playing in the dome in TB).

Hansen has already been optioned back to Pawtucket...but I am sure we will see him again later in the year.