Author Topic: So give me some adjustments  (Read 7869 times)

Re: So give me some adjustments
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 05:22:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
1. Feed Jaylen

2. Don't spam isoball in crunch time

3. Don't put Tatum on Butler or Dragic

4. More off-ball movement and crisp passing

5. Beat the opposing team's brains out whenever you step on the court, WIN GAMES :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 08:34:53 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Seems like we were most successful when we moved the ball around looking for weaknesses in the zone.

I would do that for the first 14 or so seconds on the shot clock to find an easy shot and keep them moving and tired and then if that doesn’t work do some PnR or iso.

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Pass, cut and screen for 48 minutes and only take good shots.  Block out and make the Heat 1 and done.

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I guess some of the adjustments were:

• attacking the zone by driving into the paint as much as possible by abusing mismatches (eg Jaylen - Robinson, Jayson - Robinson). We outscored them 60-36 in the paint
  • putting Hayward and Tatum in the middle of the zone and Theis on the perimeter to take Adebayo out of the paint and make it easier to attack with our wings
  • much better off-ball movement, relocation, backdoor cuts to attack the seams of the zone (I noticed Jaylen and GWill benefiting from this) and more drive and kicks to open players on the perimeter (Gordon really helped with this, he has a good toolkit to attack a zone because he does everything decisively and the ball never sticks to his hand)
  • defensively, switching Kemba onto Jae who Miami doesn't really use in the PnR as he's more a spot up shooter and switching Smart onto Dragic. Crowder ended up with 2-10 from 3 and had no 2 pt FGA while Dragic was also 2-10 overall and was a game worst -29 plus minus and he didn't have anywhere near the dribble penetration he did the first 2 games
  • probably the most important one - attitude = playing with more aggression, desperation and force, having more hustle plays (Jaylen I think had at least 3 deflections that turned into transition buckets)

So we got quite a few of them right.  :laugh:

I'm sure with 3 days off Spoelstra will review the film and make his own adjustments. They're not going to want to keep falling behind by big margins, both Herro and Buckets mentioned this in their pressers. Kind of like what we were doing during the regular season last year, falling behind and spending huge amounts of energy trying to catch up.

They're going to want to get Dragic more into the game, he's their #1 creator. And they will keep working their mismatches with Bam. Brad and the team need to be ready. And our next biggest adjustments = play for full 48 minutes. DON'T PANIC when defending a lead with time running down, keep playing, have confidence in what got us this far, don't run into the trap of slowing our pace to milk the clock.
Looks like I had a bunch of the offensive adjustments right. Yea me!!!

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 06:09:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Crowder is intimating that they're going to use size mismatches if Kemba remains his primary defender. After being the primary Dragic defender in Games 1 and 2, Kemba was switched onto Crowder, who is much less of a creator and a dribble penetration threat than Dragic is. Smart was assigned as Dragic's primary defender for Game 3, which largely nullified the Dragic-Bam PnR and led to Dragic being a -29 plus minus for Game 3. Meanwhile Crowder was 2-10 from 3, all of his attempts coming from beyond the arc.

Now Crowder is suggesting that they're going to try and bully Kemba.

Jae Crowder, Heat vow to size up competition in Game 4 vs. Celtics

As part of the ongoing chess match of the best-of-seven series that has the Heat up 2-1, the latest round of Celtics adjustments had 6-foot Kemba Walker as the primary defender against Crowder on Saturday night. At 6-6, nonetheless all 10 of Crowder’s Game 3 shots were 3-point attempts.

“Obviously, I don’t want to give everything away,” Crowder said after Monday’s practice at Disney World. “But, obviously, we’ve got to make adjustments, and that’s what we’ve been doing. We’ve been practicing, watching film. We’ll continue to do so. But obviously it’ll be a different game plan, different approach moving forward.”

By making the switch, it allowed the Celtics to instead utilize the defensive prowess of Marcus Smart against Goran Dragic, with Dragic limited to a playoff-low 11 points Saturday night.

Dragic had thrived the previous two games against Walker. So now does that become Crowder’s mandate?

“It’s the playoffs. It’s about making adjustments and moving pieces around and trying to adjust,” Crowder said. "So without giving too much away, this is a chess match. It’s two good teams going head to head, two good coaches coaching at their best.

“So we’ll make adjustments, we’ll be ready for Game 4. Obviously, we did watch film we will continue to watch film. The game is about adjustments, and we will definitely do our part about adjustments. But that’s all I can give right now.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-main-monday-20200921-cgeceb2cejbhjklrzgtu3n3p6m-story.html

Course, it could all be a red herring. But I'm expecting them to attack Kemba more than they did, hunting him more on switches. The Celtics will have to be very alert trying to hide Kemba on scrams especially on stagger and double screens.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thoroughly enjoyed the back & forth with Crowder & Jaylen the other night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, especially because it seemed to me that Jaylen was simply laughing at him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yeah, especially because it seemed to me that Jaylen was simply laughing at him

So was Grant  ;D

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The Heat fall behind because they can’t defend us with man to man. We’re too potent. I hope CBS finds a way to force more man defense, like getting into sets earlier off of misses.

Also, I HOPE the Heat start running plays for Crowder to create off the dribble against Kemba lol but it’ll probably be more screen action, TBH
- LilRip

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The adjustment of putting Walker on Crowder I didn't like the idea of because I felt the Heat could just then post up Kemba in that match up. That wasn't the case and I was wrong to worry game 3. It may be something that happens game 4 though.

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 12:45:20 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The adjustment of putting Walker on Crowder I didn't like the idea of because I felt the Heat could just then post up Kemba in that match up. That wasn't the case and I was wrong to worry game 3. It may be something that happens game 4 though.

I honestly think Crowder has zero post game lol he’s good for catch-n-shoot and out-of-control-pray-for-bailout-call drives. If the heat decide to go for Crowder postups instead of their Dragic-Bam PnR or running a play for Butler, I think you live with that

- LilRip

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 02:01:01 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
From hpantazo:

Excellent points except for your suggestion of using Tatum to breakdown the zone. Tatum's handle is too loose to use him as the guy to break down the zone. Hayward should be the guy for this.

The bolded point though summarizes it all for me.

Good point. It was so nice to have Hayward back. So you're saying get Haywad the all in the middle of the zone? I can run with that for sure. I just don't think we can break through their double team blitzes at the top with the dribble - definitely like getting the ball into the middle of the zone. Hayward there > good.

I didn't realize how effective it would be to attack the baseline of the zone like they did - was pleasantly surprised with that as well.   

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
How about Tatum at the 5? He doesn’t have to bang with Bam all the time just draw him out of the paint.

We did see Walker/Smart/Brown/Hayward/Tatum - one of the radical adjustments Brad made that worked, and in the crunch when it counted most. But it was Hayward or Brown on Bam, with Tatum on Butler.

Then Grant and Smart mostly covering Dragic and Butler and try their best to deny them the ball. Let crowder , Herro and Bam be the playmakers.

Your suggestion of Grant taking Butler or Dragic is weird, but you’re spot on with Smart on Dragic, exactly what Brad Stevens came up with, and they did it from the jump; and Dragic was mostly gone in the fourth quarter.

Tatum, with his length, takes Butler.

I would keep Kemba on Herro or Robinson which is easier said than done.

We saw a lot of Kemba on Crowder, which makes a lot of sense - Jae is bigger but less likely to drive or post.

Have the feeling that Stevens will make a big lineup change.

You got that right.

Jaylen Brown on Bam
Kemba on Crowder
Tatum on Butler

All good calls, although Jaylen was not primarily on Bam

We need Theis or Grant standing in the corner ready to shoot.

Can’t agree about Theis, and it appears the coaching staff doesn’t, either. Theis’ great skill on offense is screening, rolling, and sealing. He’s got a talent for angles and a willingness to mix it up.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Stop shooting so many 3’s. That’s it. If the team limited their 3 pt attempts to about 20 and made a commitment to attacking the basket, that’ll be the difference in the series.

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I can't believe I am saying this, but we need a Herro stopper, and not just because of last night.  Herro has been a thorn in our side this entire series.  We need someone off the bench whose sole purpose is to shut him down and make him give up the ball early in the shot clock.  I also think that stopper cannot be Brown or Smart.  If we move Smart onto Herro, we need a Dragic stopper.  I don't know if we have the personnel to do this, but we need something to work.  Another thought is to go big when Miami goes small to put pressure on guys like Herro and possibly work them into some foul trouble.

How about this for another adjustment - Attack Duncan Robinson every offensive possession.