Author Topic: New Ringer Mock Draft - C's Trying to Trade  (Read 6567 times)

Re: New Ringer Mock Draft - C's Trying to Trade
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From an apparent insider:

I was fed a bit of info on the Boston thing and I just verified I'm okay to share it. Boston has been very quiet in the background gauging interest in their picks. They could even trade 2 of their picks for an unprotected (or top 3 protected) future pick. Boston would love to be rid of Hayward at this point and would give away a pick to drop Hayward and bring back a lower priced / better fit replacement.
Forgive me if I find this "insider" stuff hard to believe.

That this really came from some insider is questionable but the actual content is not so surprising.  They have 3 picks that they don't really need so trading for future or consolidating makes perfect sense.  Also, I am all for trading Hayward for a "better fit replacement" so long as that means a big with some skill.  Again, not surprising at all.  There have been tons of speculation here and elsewhere about trading Hayward for Turner, Gorbert, etc.

Do you buy “Boston would love to be rid of Hayward at this point”?  To me, that’s laughable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I still firmly believe that team will end up dealing Hayward(Edwards and Poirier#30) to Dallas for Wright, THJ, #18, #31

Not sure if team keeps wright or flips him elsewhere, but the prize of the deal is THJ (off the bench, expiring vet shooter) and #18

14- Hampton
18 - Smith or Oturu
26-Woodard
30-traded to Dallas
31 - Tillie or Reed or Tillman
47 - Joe or Hinton or Scrubb

Kemba/Hampton/Waters
Smart/THJ/Hinton
Brown/Romeo/Woodard
Tatum/GrantW/Tillie
Timelord/Theis/Smith

Team is able to win now with the same team that got them to the ECFs. That team has an actual shooter off the bench, hopefully a healthy and improved Romeo and some rookies that should make an impact right away. 3 deep at each position to create internal competition that should improve all the young guys.

Romeo-Woodard
Grant-Tillie
Smith-Timelord
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time understanding who is being talked about when someone posts initials.  THJ?  I'm an avid fantasy basketball player and I even have Tim Hardaway Jr. on my fantasy team, and I had no idea who you were talking about.

Tom Hiddleston Jumangi
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I was fed a bit of info on the Boston thing and I just verified I'm okay to share it. Boston has been very quiet in the background gauging interest in their picks. They could even trade 2 of their picks for an unprotected (or top 3 protected) future pick. Boston would love to be rid of Hayward at this point and would give away a pick to drop Hayward and bring back a lower priced / better fit replacement.

That this really came from some insider is questionable but the actual content is not so surprising.  They have 3 picks that they don't really need so trading for future or consolidating makes perfect sense.  Also, I am all for trading Hayward for a "better fit replacement" so long as that means a big with some skill.  Again, not surprising at all.  There have been tons of speculation here and elsewhere about trading Hayward for Turner, Gorbert, etc.

Do you buy “Boston would love to be rid of Hayward at this point”?  To me, that’s laughable.

COuld be a stretch in the word choice, but saving 10s of millions in lux tax is most likely very appealing.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 01:56:38 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Reporting here that at 14, C's take RJ Hampton (which I like), but also trying to trade to get higher.

"The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26, and 30) in trades to try and move up, according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting. If the Celtics stay here, Hampton would make sense because he could serve as a spark-plug scorer off the bench. If Gordon Hayward were to leave Boston, secondary shot creation would be needed sooner rather than later."

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock
I find it hard to believe that teams wouldn't be interested in trading something in the #6-#9 range for #14, #26 and #30 in a pretty flat draft, but most NBA teams aren't exactly known for astute management :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886

I would not put it exactly that way, I don't believe they are just trying to get rid of him, but I would not be surprised if they are actively out there seeing what they can get back for him.  So, no, I don't buy that specific part when taken out of context and stated on its own.  The "and bring back a ... better fit" part does resonate with me and as I read it is the main point.

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, that is the most glaring part of the 'rumor' not the consolidation of picks. I would love to see a return of CROTOR btw!

As for the picks - if we can't move up to get someone like Hayes or Okongwu, then I would much rather roll the dice with our three picks and hope one of them hits. I would hate to trade them all for pick #10 and take someone like Bey or Maxey when several similar level players will be available at our spot...including Bey/Maxey.

And the mock drafts are all over the place. Guys like Poku and Anthony are taken just before our #26 in the Ringer's latest mock. Some solid players are going to drop into the early 20s and it seems like it would be pretty easy to combine our later picks to get another player we thought we would need to take at #14.

In an ideal world, we get exactly who we want at #14, take a swing at #30, and trade #26 and #47 for a future lottery protected first from a very good team (those picks aren't getting you anything above #20). I always enjoy having future picks  :)

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 292
If a trade like that were to happen it probably would happen during the draft.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

Celtic Thug?  CROTOR?  Deli Guy?

We have a long history on this board of alleged insiders just making crap up.

It's quite the illustrious history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

No one around any Celtics board out there.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Also, Hayward's expiring contract being so devalued that a pick has to be attached to it is ridiculous. Teams trade picks for the salary relief of expiring contracts let alone one attached to a player the caliber of Hayward; especially with Ainge's trade track record.

Barring a Hayward trade request (if he finds a suitor willing to give him an extension), Ainge is going to give this core another opportunity to have a full season together and trade/package/release the rest. There are 10 players on the roster that are going to return (starting 5 + Smart, Langford, Kanter, and G and R Williams) and the others are on the block.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja

My money is on CROTOR.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Reporting here that at 14, C's take RJ Hampton (which I like), but also trying to trade to get higher.

"The Celtics have offered their three first-round picks (nos. 14, 26, and 30) in trades to try and move up, according to multiple league sources. So far, no one is biting. If the Celtics stay here, Hampton would make sense because he could serve as a spark-plug scorer off the bench. If Gordon Hayward were to leave Boston, secondary shot creation would be needed sooner rather than later."

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock
I find it hard to believe that teams wouldn't be interested in trading something in the #6-#9 range for #14, #26 and #30 in a pretty flat draft, but most NBA teams aren't exactly known for astute management :laugh:

I agree.  With a flat cap and so so draft, Pistons, Knicks, Wizards should jump at Celts offer. These teams need depth.

Unless Wiseman dropped for example.

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

This person was fed something, but I don’t think I’d call it information...

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I'm not sure how reliable they are for rumors but NBADRAFT.net is reporting that the Cs are targeting Okongwu in a trade up. He is the logical trade up target but I cant help but wonder if this is miss information from the Cs front office.

If Okongwu is the trade up target I would rather see the Celtics trade R Williams in the package and try to keep the #26 or #30.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 05:39:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The 26th and 30th for the 6th, 7th or 8th pick just seems implausible to me.  Is there any precedent for something like this that I’m overlooking?

Four #1s couldn’t get us from 16th to 9th in 2015 (thank God).  I just don’t see the appeal of two very late first rounders.
Typically I’d agree, but this draft is thought of as very flat. Supposed to be tons of decent talent in the 20s with pretty disappointing talent in the top 10.

14, 26, 30 probably doesn’t get you to 6, only gets you to 7 if things pan out perfectly  but I think it could get you to any of 8,9 or 10 assuming the board falls the right way.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.