Author Topic: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?  (Read 11711 times)

Re: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
It is really in their best interest to give the pick now and be able to freely tank next season

I think there's a debate there.  If Memphis stayed in the bottom-6, they'd have around a 40% chance of moving into the top-4, and a 9% shot at Zion.

By dropping to #9, they'd cut those odds basically in half.

Which move is better for their future?  Maximizing odds this year, or next?

Maximizing next year, without question.

They are going to be very happy with a JV/JJJ front court right now (they are a fantastic pairing for them, Really like JV, would be a really nice frontcourt pairing with Horford.),

and they will undoubtedly get a nice pick in the offseason for Conley. (Detroit for Jackson, Kyrie Thomas, Galloway and their pick this year)

Also Parsons becomes a massive expiring next year that I am confident they could get a bad contract and a player or pick for.
(IE: Parsons for Batum and  pick)

So that lets them run youth and not worry about losses moving forward because the pick is already traded.

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It is really in their best interest to give the pick now and be able to freely tank next season

I think there's a debate there.  If Memphis stayed in the bottom-6, they'd have around a 40% chance of moving into the top-4, and a 9% shot at Zion.

By dropping to #9, they'd cut those odds basically in half.

Which move is better for their future?  Maximizing odds this year, or next?

Well Roy there is a theoretical debate on this, but in reality memphis made their decision on this at the trade deadline. They are 8-7 in their last 15 games and have continued to play conley 32 minutes a game. If they were doing a hard tank and went something like 2-13 instead, they would have had a legit shot at getting a top 4 pick. Personally I applaud their decision to just try and win and get it over with. I think it is bad to have a pick hanging over a franchise with protections for years on end and can screw with development of young players .The lakers went through this for 3 years with trying to stop their pick from going to philly and I don't think it did their franchise any favors.

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
What are those of you who follow college/Europe saying about the quality of player that might be there at 9?

There will be very good players available at 9 imo.

Little, Culver, Hachimura, Fernando, Porter, Bol-Bol, Reid, Hayes and Hunter all guys that will be in the 9-15 range.

I think that if the Sacramento or Memphis picks gets included with Tatum in a Davis trade I would hope that team can walk away with Reid or Bruno Fernando and Little as the picks (little is being projected as low as 15 on some mocks...)

I would be very happy if next season team had Davis, Little and one of Reid/Fernando on it (minus Rozier, Morris and Tatum/filler)

Given this analysis of the quality available at 9, isn't the pick far more valuable to NOP as a conveyed #9 than a best possible 7 next year or a who knows where pick in 2021?   Therefore, shouldn't C's fans who are all-in on an AD trade be strongly rooting for Memphis to get to the #9 slot?

Another question: If Memphis ends the season at #8, what are the odds with the new lottery system that a team in the 9-14 range will leap Memphis and push them into the 9 slot?

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
What are those of you who follow college/Europe saying about the quality of player that might be there at 9?

Little, Culver, Hachimura, Fernando, Porter, Bol-Bol, Reid, Hayes and Hunter all guys that will be in the 9-15 range.

I think that if the Sacramento or Memphis picks gets included with Tatum in a Davis trade I would hope that team can walk away with Reid or Bruno Fernando and Little as the picks (little is being projected as low as 15 on some mocks...)

I would be very happy if next season team had Davis, Little and one of Reid/Fernando on it (minus Rozier, Morris and Tatum/filler)

Given this analysis of the quality available at 9, isn't the pick far more valuable to NOP as a conveyed #9 than a best possible 7 next year or a who knows where pick in 2021?   Therefore, shouldn't C's fans who are all-in on an AD trade be strongly rooting for Memphis to get to the #9 slot?

Another question: If Memphis ends the season at #8, what are the odds with the new lottery system that a team in the 9-14 range will leap Memphis and push them into the 9 slot?

If Memphis stay where they currently are there is a 14.2% chance the pick drops to 9 or 10

if they finish at the 8ths spot there is a 39.2% chance pick drops to 9-11

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

If Memphis stay where they currently are there is a 14.2% chance the pick drops to 9 or 10

if they finish at the 8ths spot there is a 39.2% chance pick drops to 9-11

TP - Thanks.  Pretty good chance then if Griz top one of the 2 teams ahead of them that the pick will convey.