Author Topic: Biggest Celtics disappointment?  (Read 6499 times)

Re: Biggest Celtics disappointment?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 01:21:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
2010 Game 7.

A game that should be talked about in the same vein as the 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals, just utterly ridiculous.

The refs called the game completely differently in the 4th. The Lakers shot 21 free throws in the 4th quarter of that game, while the Celtics shot only 6.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 01:58:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I don't know what the most disappointing thing was. Antoine getting traded the first time was disappointing. Him being brought back was great but was then discarded again that summer. That hurt. The 2nd time hurt more even more than the 1st time.

If felt like there was a start of something there with the young guys like Al Jefferson (TA, Perk, Delonte, Banks) coming up behind the old guys of Pierce, Payton and Antoine. Ricky Davis too. That was a fun group.

I’m actually shocked you liked Toine. He was ahead of his time with all the threes, I guess, but back then the post game still mattered and he was excellent down there.

Toine was fun. He brought fun back to the team. First time since Bird left. Someone who could excite the fans. I loved his ball-handling and passing. He could rebound. I loved him driving and breaking down the defense. His post game was fun too. Great locker room guy. Great leader.

I did not like him shooting 3s but had to accept that part of his game. The versatility more than the 3s is what I liked. His shot selection & inefficiency was head-wrecking but he did enough other things to stay in my good books.

Always will be a bright spot in my eyes in the post-Bird era. He brought fun back.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 02:03:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I don't know what the most disappointing thing was. Antoine getting traded the first time was disappointing. Him being brought back was great but was then discarded again that summer. That hurt. The 2nd time hurt more even more than the 1st time.

If felt like there was a start of something there with the young guys like Al Jefferson (TA, Perk, Delonte, Banks) coming up behind the old guys of Pierce, Payton and Antoine. Ricky Davis too. That was a fun group.

I’m actually shocked you liked Toine. He was ahead of his time with all the threes, I guess, but back then the post game still mattered and he was excellent down there.

Toine was fun. He brought fun back to the team. First time since Bird left. Someone who could excite the fans. I loved his ball-handling and passing. He could rebound. I loved him driving and breaking down the defense. His post game was fun too. Great locker room guy. Great leader.

I did not like him shooting 3s but had to accept that part of his game. The versatility more than the 3s is what I liked. His shot selection & inefficiency was head-wrecking but he did enough other things to stay in my good books.

Always will be a bright spot in my eyes in the post-Bird era. He brought fun back.

I’m with you, and I liked him for all the same reasons. I guess just reading you throughout the years, and your critiques on different players, I would’ve thought Antoine wasn’t one of your guys. But I definitely understand what you’re saying, and why you had a soft spot for him.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 02:20:02 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
2010 Game 7.

A game that should be talked about in the same vein as the 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals, just utterly ridiculous.

The refs called the game completely differently in the 4th. The Lakers shot 21 free throws in the 4th quarter of that game, while the Celtics shot only 6.

Absolutely RIGGED.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 02:30:08 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Can anyone tell me who the Celtics traded their 1999 1st rounder for?

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 02:42:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
2010 Game 7.

Absolutely RIGGED.

If you can stomach it

https://youtu.be/T5jM0aITPms?si=vZyX0OFQnNWp4keF

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 04:25:44 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Vitaly Potapenko... Andre Miller was selected
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 05:05:13 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
2010 Game 7.

Absolutely RIGGED.

If you can stomach it

https://youtu.be/T5jM0aITPms?si=vZyX0OFQnNWp4keF
Too soon.

Most recently, I think it has to be the Hayward/Irving/Horford Celtics never getting a chance to be on the floor together. That team had serious potential - particularly with what we know now about Tatum & Brown.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 05:12:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Vitaly Potapenko... Andre Miller was selected

That’s right, who we eventually flipped into Vin Baker 🥴

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2023, 05:27:11 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
1. Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.
2. Hayward's injury (I called WEEI right afterward: https://youtu.be/1TwMQxiWBvU?si=lDMfRdRVxpJWLl8S)
3. 2022 – That GS team was about to go down 3-1, then out of nowhere became the 2017 Warriors. They haven’t been the same before or since that playoff run. An anomaly. We should have had Banner 18.
4. In 2023, Tatum's Ankle Game. Going down 3-0 and winning 3 straight, only to come up short is rough. White's insane buzzer-beater in Game 6.
5. 2018 - Tatum dunks on LeBron, the only one cooking down the stretch of that Game 7, and the Celtics don't go back to him. So frustrating.
6. 02 ECF, huge Game 3 comeback. Pierce’s coming-out party, can’t win a game after that comeback. Lose series 4-2.
7. 1993 Alonzo’s dagger 15-footer. I was a crushed 10-year-old. Kevin McHale's last game.
8. 2012, would have been so great to knock LeBron post-super team. Up 3-2, LeBron just loses his mind in Game 6 in Boston.

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 05:52:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
NBA Draft lottery 1997...lost out on Tim Duncan
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2023, 06:03:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
NOT, including tragedy, what was your biggest disappointment watching the Celtics through the years? For me it was Dee Brown. I thought he would be our next superstar. He just never really panned out, he was good and always teased with his potential, but never became a star. Not winning more than one chip with KG and PP was a close second.

I loved Dee Brown after he won the slam dunk competition at 6-1. Shame he never really took off (except when winning that).

Hayward breaking his ankle and missing the season is right up there too.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2023, 06:18:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Also should won 3 in a row with KG..he got hurt year 2 & the game 7 2010 Finals
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2023, 06:22:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
8. 2012, would have been so great to knock LeBron post-super team. Up 3-2, LeBron just loses his mind in Game 6 in Boston.

Agree, but to my memory this wasn't so much as a disappointment as watching LeBron hit a new high for his game in real time. I just remember being really impressed with his play more than feeling like the C's had dropped the ball - I would say the the Rondo elbow injury in that series (?) was much more disappointing.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 07:18:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Agree, but to my memory this wasn't so much as a disappointment as watching LeBron hit a new high for his game in real time. I just remember being really impressed with his play more than feeling like the C's had dropped the ball - I would say the the Rondo elbow injury in that series (?) was much more disappointing.

Yeah, same. At the time, LeBron had never done it like that in the playoffs and was without a title. Game 6 was sort of his coming-out party. I remember thinking, 'Wow, LeBron is the real deal; this is Jordan-esque.”