Author Topic: Queta: The Third Big  (Read 4250 times)

Re: Queta: The Third Big
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Queta is a rebounding machine… I’m hoping that as he gets more comfortable with the offense and defensive schemes, he will take Kornet’s minutes. Luke doesn’t do anything particularly well, but he knows the plays and doesn’t make many mistakes.

Kornet per 36: 11.7pts/9.2rebs

Queta per 36: 13.7pts/19.7rebs (not a typo)

Nemias also gives the C’s a physical presence down low on defense. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

Queta is a good rebounder, long, athletic, hard working.  He will get more rebounds than Kornet.  A tough, rebound focused big is something this team needs.  But it is 3 games.  And from what I see on the court, Queta is really clunky trying to fit in with the offense.  And even though he is a good individual defender, he doesn't look like a very good team defender, making the right read, rotating, all of that.

I love him as a 2-way player.  We can use him when we need to, send him to G-League when we don't, no tax or other salary penalty.  There is a chance that he makes the playoff roster, but I would actually be surprised.  Nice option to have if nothing better comes along (but I sure hope something better does come along).

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2023, 05:14:56 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kornet confuses me from game to game.  Sometimes he looks like an adequate rotation player, taking feeds from our playmakers and disrupting the other team on defense with his size.  Other games, he's got stone hands and is as defensively apt as a very large traffic cone.

I like that he plays with effort every night.  I'm just puzzled that Brad hasn't upgraded the position over the past two seasons.

I'm not sure if Queta is the answer, but in his second game he did something that Kornet has never done in green:  grabbed 10 rebounds.

I think Kornet knows what he is supposed to do, he just often isn't able to physically do it. With his understanding of the game and solid vibes, he would probably make a good coach, but I'm ready to move on from him or at least move him to the very back end of the rotation.

As for Queta, I know it's a small sample size (including preseason), but I've never not seen him have an impact out there. Our 3rd big needs to be able to rebound at an above average rate and be a tough defender since we are lacking that on our roster. Hopefully we'll see more of him out there.
I think Kornet has the intelligence but not the athleticism. Quetta has the athleticism but not the bbiq. Cs need a better all round 3rd big but with the top heavy roster they have, it will quite difficult to fix that with the salary cap constraints they have.

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2023, 05:20:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kornet confuses me from game to game.  Sometimes he looks like an adequate rotation player, taking feeds from our playmakers and disrupting the other team on defense with his size.  Other games, he's got stone hands and is as defensively apt as a very large traffic cone.

I like that he plays with effort every night.  I'm just puzzled that Brad hasn't upgraded the position over the past two seasons.

I'm not sure if Queta is the answer, but in his second game he did something that Kornet has never done in green:  grabbed 10 rebounds.

I think Kornet knows what he is supposed to do, he just often isn't able to physically do it. With his understanding of the game and solid vibes, he would probably make a good coach, but I'm ready to move on from him or at least move him to the very back end of the rotation.

As for Queta, I know it's a small sample size (including preseason), but I've never not seen him have an impact out there. Our 3rd big needs to be able to rebound at an above average rate and be a tough defender since we are lacking that on our roster. Hopefully we'll see more of him out there.
I think Kornet has the intelligence but not the athleticism. Quetta has the athleticism but not the bbiq. Cs need a better all round 3rd big but with the top heavy roster they have, it will quite difficult to fix that with the salary cap constraints they have.

Should have signed Biyombo.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2023, 06:17:03 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Should have signed Biyombo.
After watching Biyombo in the Charlotte game, pass. That guy is not good.

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm worried about the load Horford has been forced to take on so early in the season. This is precisely why a lot of us were so urgent about getting another big. It was never as simple as "Porzingis is the starter and Horford is the backup." You are talking about two guys who need to be extremely careful in order to stay healthy/fresh for the playoffs, but meanwhile Joe is out there wanting to win every game because he constantly feels like he has something to prove.

If Stevens and Brissett simply aren't trustworthy enough to get any of those minutes, what are they doing on the roster? I like Queta, but he's very raw and seems more strictly a 5-only type. Is it possible to get someone a little more versatile? Since he's fresh on my mind, a Paul Reed type would be invaluable. Fast enough to run around with wings but big enough to also small ball 5.

I know what I'm saying isn't a big revelation to the front office and we'll have to be patient since most deals can only happen later in the season, but it's definitely a little concerning that we're so dependent on a 37 year-old right now. I honestly wouldn't mind it if Horford were placed in a cryogenic tube for the next few months, then ramped up again before the playoffs.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2023, 06:47:33 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm worried about the load Horford has been forced to take on so early in the season. This is precisely why a lot of us were so urgent about getting another big. It was never as simple as "Porzingis is the starter and Horford is the backup." You are talking about two guys who need to be extremely careful in order to stay healthy/fresh for the playoffs, but meanwhile Joe is out there wanting to win every game because he constantly feels like he has something to prove.

If Stevens and Brissett simply aren't trustworthy enough to get any of those minutes, what are they doing on the roster? I like Queta, but he's very raw and seems more strictly a 5-only type. Is it possible to get someone a little more versatile? Since he's fresh on my mind, a Paul Reed type would be invaluable. Fast enough to run around with wings but big enough to also small ball 5.

I know what I'm saying isn't a big revelation to the front office and we'll have to be patient since most deals can only happen later in the season, but it's definitely a little concerning that we're so dependent on a 37 year-old right now. I honestly wouldn't mind it if Horford were placed in a cryogenic tube for the next few months, then ramped up again before the playoffs.

He's averaging 26.2 minutes per game, the lowest of his career, and has sat out of 10% of games (2/19) to rest so far. I'm not particularly worried.

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2023, 06:58:52 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

He's averaging 26.2 minutes per game, the lowest of his career, and has sat out of 10% of games (2/19) to rest so far. I'm not particularly worried.

Average is about 5 minutes higher with KP out. Would love to see him back to 25. He is so much better when he’s rested.

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2023, 07:38:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah I think people forget, but it definitely felt like Horford was off last postseason and had some mediocre games in which he looked fatigued or out of it. Didn't shoot well some games which was tough. Now he did have some big games in crucial moments like Game 7 against the Sixers (great defense) but he clearly didn't look himself. Not like the 2022 playoff run. Maybe he was dealing with a nagging injury too? Either way, he's someone they need to manage this season better.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller