Author Topic: Queta: The Third Big  (Read 4252 times)

Queta: The Third Big
« on: November 26, 2023, 08:25:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
15 minutes, 7 points, 10 rebounds, looked solid out there today.

Less Kornet. More Queta please
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Queta: The Third Big
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 08:35:28 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

ah yes, our newest and shinest toy. i hope queta is consistently this good. that would really extend boston's bench.

but maybe let's wait a bit to see more of him before proclaiming him a rotation guy. although if he has has another good game i expect celticsstrong to open a thread nominating him to the HOF.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 08:35:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
More Q, Please!  8)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 08:37:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

ah yes, our newest and shinest toy. i hope queta is consistently this good. that would really extend boston's bench.

but maybe let's wait a bit to see more of him before proclaiming him a rotation guy. although if he has has another good game i expect celticsstrong to open a thread nominating him to the HOF.  ;D

I've seen enough of Kornet. Even today he finished with only 2 rebounds and probably let ATL pick up 5 balls he should have rebounded with his size. Plus he gets abused defensively everytime. Orlando and now Atlanta attacked him and went on runs with him on the court.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 08:41:11 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

With Porzingis out, they're both definitely going to play. I don't necessarily think Queta will be a world-beater but in this matchup Kornet was clearly not optimal. Atlanta just has too many speedy guys to take advantage of Kornet's lack of athleticism/quick feet.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 08:45:32 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
WE WANT Q! WE WANT Q! WE WANT Q!

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 08:47:30 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561

I've seen enough of Kornet. Even today he finished with only 2 rebounds and probably let ATL pick up 5 balls he should have rebounded with his size. Plus he gets abused defensively everytime. Orlando and now Atlanta attacked him and went on runs with him on the court.

right. our bench is not that bad with:

PP, HOWITZER, AL, and Q..that is 9 deep. if brad can pick up a quality guy we can be 10 deep for playoffs. make kornet the 11th guy ? 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:48:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yup thought he might
help some if he could get healthy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 08:50:16 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I nominate him for the hall of fame

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 08:52:05 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

right. our bench is not that bad with:

PP, HOWITZER, AL, and Q..that is 9 deep. if brad can pick up a quality guy we can be 10 deep for playoffs. make kornet the 11th guy ?
good points. maybe, perhaps, possibly, mayhaps, potentially banton can be the 10th guy who gets a few minutes in many games.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 09:23:09 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
All he has to do is rebound, hit some layups and play solid defense.

Id like to see him more than Kornet.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 09:35:03 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
All he has to do is rebound, hit some layups and play solid defense.

Id like to see him more than Kornet.

He did the first two, dont think he did the solid defense part. Gave up a bunch of open 3s in drop coverage. At least Kornet was out there contesting on defense.

That being said, dude is built and can be useful.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 04:48:12 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I posted this graphic in the game thread in response to a question about our offensive rebounding as a team, and in doing so I noticed that for all the stick Kornet gets here about his rebounding, etc. his numbers in relation to others in his position aren't as bad as I thought they would be. This isn't a post to say that Luke is actually the second coming of Shaq, I just found it interesting that for all the hate he gets he is actually in the 48th percentile of centers when it comes to making offensive rebounds, and in the 43rd percentile in terms of defensive rebounds.

In context, that 48th percentile for offensive rebounds is a higher ranking than Aaron Gordon, Nikola Vucevic or Precious Achiewa:

And the 43rd percentile for defensive rebounds is higher than Gallo, Ojongwu or his teammate Al Horford:

Worse that the median for sure but acceptable I guess for a third string center? Especially when you look at him being in the top 25% of centers in terms of blocks. We all know Joe Mazz is a stats nerd, maybe that's why he keeps Luke around  :police:

And yes, you can add asterisks to any stat, it's possible that Luke just happens to be on the court when there are terrible rebounders on the other team, while the other guys are going up against tougher rebounders, but you would expect all that to smooth out over the course of a season so it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Then you add the fact that he's costing the team $2m, I can see why Brad and Joe might see value in him. Once Queta gets more reps we'll see where he falls in terms of his relative production.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 05:37:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Q looked good, hopefully he continues to do more & get more minutes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 06:52:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Been saying/thinking this for quite a few games now. How can someone who is 7'2" be such a turnstile on defense? By not being intimidating. Sorry Luke, you just don't have the toughness nor the hands to be an effective player in the NBA. Harsh? Yes, but that is reality.

Queta made a few mistakes with drop coverage but he should be able to clean that up.