Author Topic: Potential PF/C Trade Targets For Boston  (Read 5570 times)

Potential PF/C Trade Targets For Boston
« on: November 18, 2023, 12:57:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
3 names that come to mind for me are Precious Achiuwa, Jalen Duren, and Isaiah Stewart.

I do also think we need to think about a potential Horford replacement down the road obviously, which honestly someone like Stewart would seemingly be perfect as an option. The Pistons are a mess so I think they could dangle some of their young pieces this offseason, especially the ones who don't have much control remaining.

We played the Raptors and Achiuwa yesterday which made me think of it. He could be another intriguing option to add.

This team definitely needs a 3rd big for the 2nd half + playoffs, and potentially for down the road if Horford does retire maybe 2-3 years from now. Kornet isn't it and we're still not sure about Queta. We do have the Grant Williams' TPE + a bunch of draft capital to use (though I'm also not advocating we trade everything for 1 player either).

There'll obviously be more names and targets as the season progresses but the C's need to prioritize another PF/C addition. I know G-Will was disappointing last season but he was still a guy we could use to body up on other opposing PF/C's and now we don't have him anymore and also traded away Timelord right before the season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Potential PF/C Trade Targets For Boston
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 01:15:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
I can’t see Toronto wanting to make the Celtics better by trading with them. Also not sure what Boston has that would entice Detroit give away two of their talented young players. I do think Brad will make a move, but probably with a team in the West.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 01:19:08 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I can’t see Toronto wanting to make the Celtics better by trading with them. Also not sure what Boston has that would entice Detroit give away two of their talented young players. I do think Brad will make a move, but probably with a team in the West.

I don't think Toronto cares at this point about making the Celtics better or not. They aren't contending and they are not our arch rivals or anything. If a trade helps them, they would do it.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yes to a third big to get minutes and to be groomed for Horford's eventual retirement.

Would love Isaiah Stewart (since we can't have Banchero or other young stars to be). Jarret Allen would cost a lot but would love to see him here.
A bit smaller but plays big on defense--Hank Jones...would love to have him
I haven't seen Achiuwa.

Also, the C's have two great ball handlers in White and Jrue.  After that it's thin, and Jrue is up there in years.  So I'd also like to add our next guy for that position, maybe one of those big PG who could play SF too...but needn't be that big....

Would love Anthony Black,  or Amen/Ausar Thompson (the more pointguardy of the too).  Cunningham out of reach I'd guess.  Buy low on the smaller than that Jalen Suggs?  He might blossom, I think he's 6' 4"
People mentioned Caruso, if he stays healthy for a stretch. 

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 01:49:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
How much is the asking price for Bagley?

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
How much is the asking price for Bagley?

Not sure but he has 12.5M owed this year and next, so idk if he's a realistic option.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 03:16:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I honestly don’t think any of the names mentioned here are realistic. I also don’t think adding another big man is the priority. I think they need a swing player to fill in the Grant role.

Maybe keep an eye out for Porter Jr for when Toronto decides to blow it up. He would be relatively cheap, fits into the TPE, and can give you another 3 and D type player with championship experience off the bench. Considering Brissette and Stevens are getting no time, my sense is they aren’t happy with that wing depth.

If they do add a big, I think it will be a scrap heap type of guy on a vet min deal. Sadly, I think Horford is probably in his last year in Boston and I think he’s trade bait next offseason to improve the big man rotation.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 03:23:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I honestly don’t think any of the names mentioned here are realistic. I also don’t think adding another big man is the priority. I think they need a swing player to fill in the Grant role.

Maybe keep an eye out for Porter Jr for when Toronto decides to blow it up. He would be relatively cheap, fits into the TPE, and can give you another 3 and D type player with championship experience off the bench. Considering Brissette and Stevens are getting no time, my sense is they aren’t happy with that wing depth.

If they do add a big, I think it will be a scrap heap type of guy on a vet min deal. Sadly, I think Horford is probably in his last year in Boston and I think he’s trade bait next offseason to improve the big man rotation.

Big is a priority since we only really have Horford and Porzingis as legit bigs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I don't think Toronto cares at this point about making the Celtics better or not. They aren't contending and they are not our arch rivals or anything. If a trade helps them, they would do it.

Raptors will likely be a playoff team. Not sure what the C’s would give up for Achiuwa that could make Toronto better.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:44:26 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 03:57:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Big is a priority since we only really have Horford and Porzingis as legit bigs.
I think Kornet has been more than adequate as a third big so far this season.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 04:04:06 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Cap space tight so be hard trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 04:21:22 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Raptors will likely be a playoff team. Not sure what the C’s would give up for Achiuwa that could make Toronto better.

The Raptors are currently below .500 and at the bottom end of the East outside of the play-in bracket. They do not look like a team interested in the playoffs and a first round exit.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Unfortunately the Celtics don’t have the contracts to trade for a veteran contributor.

Prichard only earns 4 million and although Horford has definitely declined in the past couple of years, he’s too integral to trade this season.

I think the Celtics best bet will be the 2024 buy-out market.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 05:01:23 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

The Raptors are currently below .500 and at the bottom end of the East outside of the play-in bracket. They do not look like a team interested in the playoffs and a first round exit.

Raptors are 2 games out of the the 6 spot. :laugh: Season is young. They have wins over the Bucks and Mavs. Gave the C’s all they could handle the other night too and were missing OG.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 05:28:49 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
There's zero chance Duren is even close to being available. Stewart's future with Detroit, on the other hand, isn't 100% considering his awkward fit at PF next to Duren, but that's not something they really are under any urgency to figure out this season. There was a rumor the Celtics kicked the tires on Stewart before he was extended, but nothing happened obviously. Wiseman or Bagley are the ones I think they would eventually move, especially Wiseman if they don't extend him. They're both basically blocked by Duren and you could see Wiseman wanting to go somewhere where he has more of a shot at getting minutes. Those two make too much for the Celtics to really consider, however.

Achiuwa is interesting. I don't know much about him besides him being an athlete who can't shoot. The Raptors could go so many different directions that it's hard to gauge what their thinking is, though. Skimming Raptors message boards, it seems that he was slowed by an ankle injury last year and he had trouble playing different roles other than center. They traded for Poetl and then Achiuwa basically had no idea what to do in a F/PF role. His bball IQ and hands are questionable. Basically, he's an undersized C that has had trouble converting to F/PF, which is what he should probably be in the NBA for his physical profile. For the C's, you get him if you really believe he's better than what he's shown, but I wonder if they wouldn't be more interested in a seasoned veteran as opposed to a guy who's still a project.