Author Topic: 5-0 and cruising  (Read 10425 times)

5-0 and cruising
« on: November 05, 2023, 09:27:44 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Saw this on X:
This is the 11th 5-0 start in Celtics history!

Of the previous 10 teams...
10 made the East Finals
8 made the NBA Finals
5 won NBA Championships

2009-10 (East Champions)
2007-08 (NBA Champions)
1987-88 (East finals)
1984-85 (East Champions)
1972-73 (East finals)
1967-68 (NBA Champions)
1964-65 (NBA Champions)
1963-64 (NBA Champions)
1959-60 (NBA Champions)
1957-58 (East Champions)
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: 5-0 and cruising
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the 2017-18 team, which went 0-2 before winning 16 straight to be 19-4 before the end of November. I don't have very pleasant memories of that team   :-[

But 5-0 is different to 3-2, so there is that  :police:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 09:46:32 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 09:43:04 AM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the 2017-18 team, which went 0-2 before winning 16 straight to be 19-4 before the end of November. I don't have very pleasant memories of that team :-[

I'm with you on that!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Let's hope it's not a repeat of the 2017-18 team, which went 0-2 before winning 16 straight to be 19-4 before the end of November. I don't have very pleasant memories of that team :-[

I'm with you on that!

Gordon's injury had me depressed for weeks  :-\ They did outdo themselves early in the season despite his loss though.

I feel the sky is the limit for this team as long as *touch wood* the injury curse stays away (I don't even want to say it in case it jinxes them  ??? )
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 09:57:00 AM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
This team is so balanced.  Unstoppable shooter in Tatum and a pair of defensive studs at guard.  Starters averaging over 100 points per game.  Also leading the league in rebounding. Hard to stop!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rollin'
Rawhide
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 10:52:44 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Absolutely love what I see from the team so far but let’s be honest they haven’t played anybody and most teams they’re playing have been missing significant players.
With that said something does feel different with this group and Tatum and Brown both look significantly stronger then last season and to me are finally buying into Celtics pride a little bit when in the past I really don’t think they cared

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 12:13:47 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This team seems to be all business and are taking every opponent seriously. It's about time. However, part of me is slightly concerned too. I hope they don't get burnt out, as the game needs to be fun too. During the '07/'98 season, KG and the rest of the team were all business, but made sure to enjoy Geno time.

Maybe I've missed him, but I don't recall seeing Duece at any of these games. Again, this might be part of the all business attitude.

I have to give coach Mazzulla credit for bringing in Charles Lee and Sam Cassell as assistant coaches. Not only that, but also reaching out and inviting past Celtics players to talk to the team. Bringing in all that championship experience (including Holiday), only helps to remind this team that they haven't won anything and to show them everything (including sacrificing) it takes to win a title.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 12:22:52 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
This team seems to be all business and are taking every opponent seriously. It's about time. However, part of me is slightly concerned too. I hope they don't get burnt out, as the game needs to be fun too. During the '07/'98 season, KG and the rest of the team were all business, but made sure to enjoy Geno time.

Maybe I've missed him, but I don't recall seeing Duece at any of these games. Again, this might be part of the all business attitude.

I have to give coach Mazzulla credit for bringing in Charles Lee and Sam Cassell as assistant coaches. Not only that, but also reaching out and inviting past Celtics players to talk to the team. Bringing in all that championship experience (including Holiday), only helps to remind this team that they haven't won anything and to show them everything (including sacrificing) it takes to win a title.

I agree , they seem more focused than ever

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2023, 01:10:45 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I love Rob and Smart, but does anyone actually miss them now? Holliday is an upgrade over Smart, and it's pretty clear that with Porzingis here, Rob would have had Kornet's minutes and that's about it. The addition of Porzingis on this team is huge, exactly what we needed.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't think any of this happens without Brad Stevens making calculated trades in the off-season. Porzingis is a game changer. Holiday is not only an upgrade at PG, but he knows his role.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I don't think any of this happens without Brad Stevens making calculated trades in the off-season. Porzingis is a game changer. Holiday is not only an upgrade at PG, but he knows his role.

All true. But… what does Brad do if the Brogdon deal goes through for KP?  I don’t think Smart would have netted Holiday.
Holiday-White backcourt might be my favorite Celtics backcourt ever - at least through 4 games.  😉

And to  hypantazo - I don’t miss Marcus even a little. I thought I’d miss Rob, but I don’t.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

All true. But… what does Brad do if the Brogdon deal goes through for KP?  I don’t think Smart would have netted Holiday.
Holiday-White backcourt might be my favorite Celtics backcourt ever - at least through 4 games.  😉

And to  hypantazo - I don’t miss Marcus even a little. I thought I’d miss Rob, but I don’t.

Smart and Rob absolutely could have netted Holiday.  People tired of him here, but Smart would have been easy to trade if needed.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 02:33:27 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge

Still early, but DJ and Danny were hard not to enjoy with Carlisle and Sichting as backups.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 02:42:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Still early, but DJ and Danny were hard not to enjoy with Carlisle and Sichting as backups.

I was thinking of DJ-Danny when I wrote.  Yeah - way too early but if their first 4 together is an indication, Jrue-DW is right there.