Author Topic: Disappointed at Grant Williams game  (Read 12691 times)

Re: Disappointed at Grant Williams game
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 08:30:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't get the reaction to Grant Williams.  He is an OK bench player.  That is a fine accomplishment for a 22nd pick.  I think some people got their expectations too high for him and now are disappointed.  He is a 6'-6" PF which limits his effective match up opportunities.  He is not Charles Barkley.  I don't see any reason to be disappointed with him.  You just have to accept that he is a decent but limited player on our bench.

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Its to early to judge Grants season. I had hoped that he would have a hot start (shooting the 3 in camp/preseason) and push for what has been Theis's starting spot. This hasn't happen and prior to last game 3/4 from 3 he was 3/11.

I still have high hopes for Grant Williams and think he should be able to fill a more heavy footed PJ Tucker like role off the Cs bench for years to come but two things have to happen. He needs to be a consistent threat from the 3 and he needs to get minutes at the center position. Playing Grant primarily next to another big makes him just another not great shooting wing, at the 5 he becomes a very undersized but dynamic player. Grant like PJ Tucker will never be a stat sheet guy and its funny Tuckers career per 36 is 9pts 1.8ast 7rb while Grant's is 8.5pts 2.3ast 6rb.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 09:01:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it is hard to overreact to any of the young guys.

No real offseason to work on their games.  I image much of it was for physical recovery.

Loss of Hayward and Kemba puts pressure on these players to step up and in many cases, probably try to do more then they are current able to do. 

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Its to early to judge Grants season. I had hoped that he would have a hot start (shooting the 3 in camp/preseason) and push for what has been Theis's starting spot. This hasn't happen and prior to last game 3/4 from 3 he was 3/11.

I still have high hopes for Grant Williams and think he should be able to fill a more heavy footed PJ Tucker like role off the Cs bench for years to come but two things have to happen. He needs to be a consistent threat from the 3 and he needs to get minutes at the center position. Playing Grant primarily next to another big makes him just another not great shooting wing, at the 5 he becomes a very undersized but dynamic player. Grant like PJ Tucker will never be a stat sheet guy and its funny Tuckers career per 36 is 9pts 1.8ast 7rb while Grant's is 8.5pts 2.3ast 6rb.

I would also add that my over all expectations for Grant have lowered a bit, for this team to be at a level to make noise in the playoffs Grant is realistically at best the 9th man in the rotation. If Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Thompson are the starters the Cs should have 1 guard (PP), 1 wing (??), and 1 big (Theis/R Will) getting consistent minutes with Grant serving as the small ball 5/emergency wing.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 09:27:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It is fair to hope he improves.

He plays with intelligence. If you asked me what I hoped for from him this year, I would have said he could work on his body, lose 10+ lbs and become just a bit quicker as a result, and become a more consistent shooter and finisher, which is necessary for any young player.

So far, he instead looks just a bit heavier than last year, not more fit, and he isn't showing any improvement as a shooter and scorer yet. So, yeah, I'm disappointed.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

No real offseason to work on their games.  I image much of it was for physical recovery.

Loss of Hayward and Kemba puts pressure on these players to step up and in many cases, probably try to do more then they are current able to do.

No it isn't. Because this team should have been done with developing players a yr. ago.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No it isn't. Because this team should have been done with developing players a yr. ago.

Well then someone should tell Brown to stop getting better.

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't get the reaction to Grant Williams.  He is an OK bench player.  That is a fine accomplishment for a 22nd pick.  I think some people got their expectations too high for him and now are disappointed.  He is a 6'-6" PF which limits his effective match up opportunities.  He is not Charles Barkley.  I don't see any reason to be disappointed with him.  You just have to accept that he is a decent but limited player on our bench.

In full transparency I believed it was a trash pick right off the start. This is the exact undersized player that danny loves that ultimately equates to a waste.

A waste because everything these guys do,  when they get in the playoffs they get outplayed by guys that can do what they do but they're taller and more talented.

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Grant's numbers in 17 playoff games in the bubble...remember?

FG 57.7%
3PT 10 for 17
FT 70%

He's FG 47% and 3PT 40% and FT 40% this season.

If your name doesn't start with a "J" you are not going to be considered an offensive option....right?

He's off for the 7 games he's played in this season, but his minutes per game are up and we're gonna cut him right now? Trade him for a bag a doughnuts?

I will agree thoroughly that the missed free throws better stop. It is quite odd as at Tennessee?

In a game with Vanderbilt he set a school record for hitting 23 straight free throws in a single game. His FT% senior year was .819

He arrived in Boston and missed 25 straight threes...from there he went 24 of 72. In college he was 29% from three as a senior.

I guess we weren't looking for a shooter...huh? I will also add, we weren't heavily concerned with wingspan either.

He is an excellent defender and will in time, run the defense when he's on the floor and...he's streaky on the other end.

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
He's 2 for 5 on free throws. It's unfair to try to use 40% FT shooting as any validity for someone who has gotten so little time and shot so little. He will never be a star, but if he's able to get a more consistent 3 pt shot over time, he's a nice fit as an 8th or 9th guy in the rotation.

Which is all we should expect from a guy picked that late.

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
7 games into his second season, really doesn't mean much. But with that said, let's look at what his numbers are so far this season:

6 points, 3 rebounds, shooting 49% overall and 40% from 3 in 18 mpg.

Isn't that exactly what you want from him on this team? If he's quick enough to stay in front of wings and strong enough to mix it up on the boards (he was against Toronto) he's just what the team needs. What he really needs to start showing is consistency.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I have to say before the Raptors game I was disappointed in Grant as well.  I expected him to provide good D off the bench and 6 ppg hitting 1-2 3's per game spreading the floor a bit.  I expected those Marcus Smart type plays.  He just looked out of sorts.  Hopefully the Raptors game is more in line of what he can contribute in regards to his D.  I don't expect double digits from him but if he and Semi can keep it up the team will me much deeper when Romeo and Kemba return. 

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have to say before the Raptors game I was disappointed in Grant as well.  I expected him to provide good D off the bench and 6 ppg hitting 1-2 3's per game spreading the floor a bit.  I expected those Marcus Smart type plays.  He just looked out of sorts.  Hopefully the Raptors game is more in line of what he can contribute in regards to his D.  I don't expect double digits from him but if he and Semi can keep it up the team will me much deeper when Romeo and Kemba return.

Grant always loves to play the Raptors

His jump shot also has a nice snap of the wrist these days. 

Moving/anticipating better on the court also

Lets hope it continues

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 01:02:35 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
He's got the same problem as Semi.  His body-type just limits him.  He's nowhere quick enough to ever have an offensive game, or be able to stick with quick wings on defense.  I would've preferred a draft pick with upside. 

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's got the same problem as Semi.  His body-type just limits him.  He's nowhere quick enough to ever have an offensive game, or be able to stick with quick wings on defense.  I would've preferred a draft pick with upside.

Agreed

Bazely is looking like a poor man Tatum.  And Keldon Johnson is a rocket athlete with high end ability to finish through traffic

Grant still has room to grow into becoming a PJ Tucker.  Which is a pretty sweet pick in the 20s