Author Topic: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?  (Read 7889 times)

Re: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 04:49:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Perhaps when Pritchard learns to defend three positions at an elite level this thread will make sense.

I am not advocating for trading Smart, but I do believe Romeo has the potential to at least defend three positions at very good level. It's Romeo, not Pritchard, who has the potential to make Smart a tradable asset...but he has to get healthy stay healthy.

I mean, yeah, Romeo did do better and impressed with his defense at the end of last year. But it seems crazy to me that at this point we're even talking about or even realistically considering Romeo - a guy not know for his defensive prowess coming into the league and who only showed defensive promise in a handful of games last year - as a potential replacement for the best and most versatile guard defender in the league and one of the best overall perimeter defenders in the league.

I definitely wasn't trying to make that point (notice how Roy said 'elite' for Smart and I said 'very good' for Romeo). I was more pointing out that Pritchard's ascension to legendary status has nothing to do with Smart. However, a similar trajectory by Romeo could make the loss of Smart more bearable if a trade opportunity arose or if his next contract is out of reach for the Cs.

I agree with jambr. Romeo makes Smart expendable at the right price. Smart has very high trade value. Packaged with the TPE could yield something irresistible. Has nothing to to with Fast PP ascension.

I know I’ll regret asking this because it seems I never really understand it but please explain how the TPE can be packaged with a player.  Initially I thought that you can’t use a TPE to add salary in a player for player deal.  But people keep posting suggestions that are doing just that.  I just don’t get how the TPE works in trade scenarios. 

Would love a thread that explains how DA can use the TPE ithat I could refer back to when I get confused

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Pritchard is more of Teague replacement next year.

I think he will replace Teague before the end of this year.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Why would you want to trade a guy that has so much versatility and is on a team friendly deal? He can cover 1-4 and is top defender in the league. He’s also arguably the heart of this Celtics team. Pritchard looks promising at the PG position, but that’s it. He’s not big enough or strong enough to cover most 2’s. Suggesting trading him, just for the heck of it doesn’t make much sense to me.

It would not be just for the heck of it, I do not want to trade Marcus but we need more offense and Marcus has value, he is a commodity. Do we need Marcus and his poor shot selection or do we need a scorer?  If the right deal comes along?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Perhaps when Pritchard learns to defend three positions at an elite level this thread will make sense.

I am not advocating for trading Smart, but I do believe Romeo has the potential to at least defend three positions at very good level. It's Romeo, not Pritchard, who has the potential to make Smart a tradable asset...but he has to get healthy stay healthy.

I mean, yeah, Romeo did do better and impressed with his defense at the end of last year. But it seems crazy to me that at this point we're even talking about or even realistically considering Romeo - a guy not know for his defensive prowess coming into the league and who only showed defensive promise in a handful of games last year - as a potential replacement for the best and most versatile guard defender in the league and one of the best overall perimeter defenders in the league.

I definitely wasn't trying to make that point (notice how Roy said 'elite' for Smart and I said 'very good' for Romeo). I was more pointing out that Pritchard's ascension to legendary status has nothing to do with Smart. However, a similar trajectory by Romeo could make the loss of Smart more bearable if a trade opportunity arose or if his next contract is out of reach for the Cs.

I agree with jambr. Romeo makes Smart expendable at the right price. Smart has very high trade value. Packaged with the TPE could yield something irresistible. Has nothing to to with Fast PP ascension.

Going to have to go watch some Romeo NCAA videos because I do not get the hype at all.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 05:49:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Why would you want to trade a guy that has so much versatility and is on a team friendly deal? He can cover 1-4 and is top defender in the league. He’s also arguably the heart of this Celtics team. Pritchard looks promising at the PG position, but that’s it. He’s not big enough or strong enough to cover most 2’s. Suggesting trading him, just for the heck of it doesn’t make much sense to me.

It would not be just for the heck of it, I do not want to trade Marcus but we need more offense and Marcus has value, he is a commodity. Do we need Marcus and his poor shot selection or do we need a scorer?  If the right deal comes along?
Are we not waiting the return of a 20PPG perennial All-Star?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 06:07:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

So it will never make sense.

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

I know that you're talking about Romeo's defense, but I'm not putting any stock in a wing who shot 27% from 3 as a collegian and 18% as a pro. Maybe he'll turn out to be a useful pro, but so many people on this site tend to take his eventual success for granted.

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 06:32:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I know that you're talking about Romeo's defense, but I'm not putting any stock in a wing who shot 27% from 3 as a collegian and 18% as a pro. Maybe he'll turn out to be a useful pro, but so many people on this site tend to take his eventual success for granted.
Langford played with an injured hand through his entire year in college. This caused him to have to rework his shot last year because of the bad habits he developed in his form to make up for the pain he was feeling while playing with the injury in college.

Judging what Romeo can do shooting the ball based on just those seasons is probably a major mistake. Lest we forget, Langford was considered a top 3 player coming out of high school. His upside will still be very high when he gets healthy.

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2021, 06:49:24 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Some days ago Smart got Giannis into foul trouble in a myriad of ways including lying down on the court and making Giannis trip over him more than once. The Celtics won that game and Smart, as always, played a role.

The guy is a magician and he's cheap.

He runs the defense when he's on the court and the Celtic's defense is usually toward the top of the league.

Auerbach rarely traded "defensive players" and trading "defense for offense" isn't worth it as offensive stars are overvalued and Marcus Smart in such a trade will be undervalued.

Tell another player to pack his bags...ok?

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Langford played with an injured hand through his entire year in college. This caused him to have to rework his shot last year because of the bad habits he developed in his form to make up for the pain he was feeling while playing with the injury in college.

Judging what Romeo can do shooting the ball based on just those seasons is probably a major mistake. Lest we forget, Langford was considered a top 3 player coming out of high school. His upside will still be very high when he gets healthy.

Avery Braadley was considered the top player coming out of high school...took him years to get comfortable in the NBA.

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

4 games into a rookies season and we're already crowning players and you expect "sense" to factor into the equation...

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2021, 08:00:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

4 games into a rookies season and we're already crowning players and you expect "sense" to factor into the equation...

Seesssh why are you so judgmental? People are happy for him that's all.

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2021, 08:12:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I know I’ll regret asking this because it seems I never really understand it but please explain how the TPE can be packaged with a player.  Initially I thought that you can’t use a TPE to add salary in a player for player deal.  But people keep posting suggestions that are doing just that.  I just don’t get how the TPE works in trade scenarios. 

Would love a thread that explains how DA can use the TPE ithat I could refer back to when I get confused

My understanding is that so long as you can match the salary of the incoming player with all or a portion of the TPE, you are allowed to include other players on your end in the trade. Seems crazy, I know.  But someone with better knowledge, please feel free to correct me. 

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's taken 27 threes as a pro, less than Tatum and Smart did in the first 5 games (with Brown reaching that tonight). Let's not act like it's any sort of sample size.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
depends on whos coming back....  Why trade when we have a Trade Exception, I don't want to pull another Perk.  Speaking of PErk, I miss Jeff Green.  He would be a great fit on this team. 

Diggles