Author Topic: Why did we draft Nesmith again?  (Read 19711 times)

Re: Why did we draft Nesmith again?
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
James young was a pot smoking kid who gave up on basketball the second he signed a multimillion dollar rookie basketball deal. That was his “championship.” The guy was a bonefide loser

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2021, 01:31:17 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
We are 7 games into a season with no summer league, a dramatically curtailed training camp, and a halved preseason. Maybe wait a little longer before defining a player's pro career.

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2021, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
End of the day I want him to shoot the ball well.  Hunch over , arms out slightly ready to shoot.

He doesn't have to be Duncan Robinson good. But for now, stand at the corners and make the open 3s.   Don't try to crash the net, or anything else.  Just focus on making the open 3s .  Utilize fakes, get his man up in the air and calmly drain it.   

On the D end, stick to guarding the corner shooters.  Where there won't be much PNR action or anything like that. 

He is just trying to do too much at the moment. He should have no business trying to guard/switching onto Lowry for example. And this is on Brad. 

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2021, 02:09:54 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Not sure why this place is so obsessed with crapping on young players who play poorly. Jaylen Brown and Avery Bradley started out like utter garbage - they ended up alright!

People have too much expectations for them. JAylen averaged 6 ppg  his rookie season and he was a no.3 pick. Give the kid time, it’s only been 8 games.

I think it’s because people a) read he was the best shooter in the draft and though wow we have our own Tyler Herro and b) they are comparing him to Pritchard who plays a completely different position where we happen to have an injured player.

c) It's the ying to the yang of the fans who have sky high expectations about 1st year production and ceilings/floors of every prospect the C's bring in.

If people want to post things like "Nesmith should start right away" and put his comps as Klay Thompson or Khris Middleton, gotta expect to see the opposite too.

Also I will fight anybody who says Jaylen Brown started out like garbage!  He was playing 20mpg off the bat for a playoff team playing behind a Jae Crowder that Zack Lowe was calling an All-Star candidate and suggesting could be key piece in a Kevin Love or Jimmy Butler trade.  Not to say he didn't have his struggles, or end up in the dog house occasionally, but dude started 5 games into his rookie year and but up 19 against LeBron and the Cavs.  He didn't start off like garbage.

Jaylen did get some run because of his D.  His O was not on level with a starting or even good backup role player.  He played because of his D like Romeo did last year.  I'm sure Nesmith is hitting shots in practice but his D is far behind.  Not many college players come into the league can play D immediately.  The NBA loves offense.  College does not play defensive systems that are as unique as the NBA.  You don't have the level of athleticism from 1-10 on a college roster that you do at the NBA.  Nesmith is a step behind.  No offseason, no summer league, no training camp.  Just come in and play after coming off an injury that cut your season short.  He hasn't played in a year.  too many fans compare him to PP.  PP looks like an absolute steal.  The negatives on PP were he's too unathletic to get his shot off in the NBA and he won't be able to penetrate the paint like he did in college with big defenders around him.  PP had to learn over the years how to play with more athletic players and became a crafty vet at a very young age.  Nesmith relied on his athleticism and needs to develop his BBIQ.  The good part is that everyone is talking about how hard a worker he is and how smart he is.  Huge difference for players like James Young who didn't put the work in and didn't have the smarts to develop into a good NBA player.  I want to see where Nesmith is at by game 50 versus game 5.  He's pressing right now because his transferrable skill, shooting, he knows everyone expects him to make every shot.  The kids confidence is low and he needs time.  I still have high hopes for him and romeo.

We all know that to earn a spot on Brad's rotation you need to play D. That's probably the gap in Nesmith's skillset right now. Hitting shots is nice but Brad hates players that just shoot and don't, or can't, play D. So that's probably what they will be working on with him. I'm not too worried about him right now. I'll reevaluate where he's at mid season to see if anything has improved.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
He's taken a grand total of just 12 shots so far folks.

Let's be a little patient.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The good news is that Pritchard looks like a Terry Rozier level steal in the draft.

The bad news is that Nesmith is not ready for the NBA.  Maybe he needs a year in the D-League.  But with Covid situation, I don't know if that's a viable option?

« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The good news is that Pritchard looks like a Terry Rozier level steal in the draft.

The bad news is that Nesmith is not ready for the NBA.  Maybe he needs a year in the D-League.  But with Covid situation, I don't know if that's a viable option?

I think PP is a much better pick than Rozier. TRIII was picked ten spots higher and spent much of his first year in the G League. Took him more than two years to score 20 points. It took PP two weeks - and he dished 8 assists in the same game!

Rozier has superior athletic ability, and Pritchard won’t be as good a defender, but PP is light years ahead of Rozier as a playmaker, and better as a shooter and shot creator.

« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Let's hope that PP is actually a Rondo-level draft steal, now thatttt would be interesting =)

« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Obviously any criticism of Nesmith is premature but it also occurs to me that in a normal year, Nesmith would probably be in Portland and putting up 20 ppg for the Red Claws and a lot of these same critics would be clamoring for him to be brought up to the main team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Let's hope that PP is actually a Rondo-level draft steal, now thatttt would be interesting =)

How about Tony Parker -- picked just two slots later than Pritchard at #28?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.