Author Topic: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown  (Read 17098 times)

The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« on: December 24, 2020, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I posted this elsewhere so thought I should share it here as well.

Last night, in the Celtics thrilling 122-121 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, Celtic fans may have just seen the maturation of Jaylen Brown to All-Star status and perhaps, his ascension to being a superstar in this league. Jaylen was pretty easily the best player on the Garden parkay going for:

34 points
4 assists
5 rebounds
2 steals
1 block
0 turnovers

while going 13 -24 from the field, 3-8 from three and 4-4 from the line. Jaylen was the leader of that group of he, Smart, Thompson, Teague and Semi that turned the game around in the 2nd quarter with stifling defense and intelligent efficient offense.

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense. But not just his offense, but offense for others. Brown made all the right passes and one pretty incredible sling pass across the court from the baseline to the top of the three point line that has never been in his arsenal. Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens. Also, it was quite evident Brown and Tatum have decided they will be looking for each other much more on offense.

Brown's ability to create half court offense is essential to him taking that step to superstardom and last night he showed he can do it. He ran half court offense while destroying Milwaukee with his ability to easily get past his defender and get to his spots for mid range jumpers and turnarounds that were dropping all night. A fairly amazing moment happened when Milwaukee got a three second tech and it was Brown Stevens sent to the line to drain the free throw. That doesn't happen pre Covid. Adding better free throw shooting, crisper more accurate passing, a deadly mid range game, better court vision while playing even better team and one on one defense has transformed Brown's overall game and turned him into the next future superstar in this league.

Jaylen Brown has grown up. He's no longer a kid. He is The Man. A superstar for sure.

Re: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I posted this elsewhere so thought I should share it here as well.

Last night, in the Celtics thrilling 122-121 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, Celtic fans may have just seen the maturation of Jaylen Brown to All-Star status and perhaps, his ascension to being a superstar in this league. Jaylen was pretty easily the best player on the Garden parkay going for:

34 points
4 assists
5 rebounds
2 steals
1 block
0 turnovers

while going 13 -24 from the field, 3-8 from three and 4-4 from the line. Jaylen was the leader of that group of he, Smart, Thompson, Teague and Semi that turned the game around in the 2nd quarter with stifling defense and intelligent efficient offense.

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense. But not just his offense, but offense for others. Brown made all the right passes and one pretty incredible sling pass across the court from the baseline to the top of the three point line that has never been in his arsenal. Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens. Also, it was quite evident Brown and Tatum have decided they will be looking for each other much more on offense.

Brown's ability to create half court offense is essential to him taking that step to superstardom and last night he showed he can do it. He ran half court offense while destroying Milwaukee with his ability to easily get past his defender and get to his spots for mid range jumpers and turnarounds that were dropping all night. A fairly amazing moment happened when Milwaukee got a three second tech and it was Brown Stevens sent to the line to drain the free throw. That doesn't happen pre Covid. Adding better free throw shooting, crisper more accurate passing, a deadly mid range game, better court vision while playing even better team and one on one defense has transformed Brown's overall game and turned him into the next future superstar in this league.

Jaylen Brown has grown up. He's no longer a kid. He is The Man. A superstar for sure.
agreed.  Jaylen should have been an all-star last year and has started the year off right to show he's deserving of that honor.  he was the best player on the court many times last year and a number of times in the playoffs. 

the calls by some to trade him for Harden would very likely blow up in our faces before the end of the year if Danny made that move.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
He had a great game for sure, but Tatum has had numerous games like that Last year and he’s not even a lock to be a super star. Brown Is an all star level talent. That would be incredible if both players become top 10 players in the league, but they are not there yet.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Fantastic game from Jaylen. If he is now a pick and roll ball handler on that level, look out league.

Lot of things to like; I’ll pick one - his comfort with those short midrange shots at or inside the foul line. He knows he can create a lot of space and get up high enough that very few defenders have any chance to bother him. If it’s a defense like Milwaukee that tries to give the midrange, he’s poised to torch them. Like hitting free throws.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
It’s just one game..see if he keeps it going all year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I like Brown ...he is a good player. Not yet a superstar though.... Teague was the best player on the court when Boston went on that run. Teague really made it easy and showed the young Cs how to play in a big game. Calm, picking his spots, did not get too excited, made the right passes. The game was so slow for him. This is what the Cs needed. Without Teague in that game Cs would probably have lost the game.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I like Brown ...he is a good player. Not yet a superstar though.... Teague was the best player on the court when Boston went on that run. Teague really made it easy and showed the young Cs how to play in a big game. Calm, picking his spots, did not get too excited, made the right passes. The game was so slow for him. This is what the Cs needed. Without Teague in that game Cs would probably have lost the game.

Jeff Teague and Tristan Thompson were the veterans they needed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Certainly encouraging and I believe he's ready to take a leap.

I know I've been chatting a LOT about James Harden on here lately but TBH if Jaylen keeps this up it will give me pause.

This BOS team is - for the better - The Jays team. Kemba - as much as I love him - will take a step back and let them shine - like he did for Jayson last year.

Kemba's a GREAT team mate like that.

The Jays did this against an new-and-improved MIL team - with All-Star Jrue Holiday AND DPOY Greek Freak at their BEST last night.

Keep it up, Jaylen....no more fighting for crumbs...no more trying to spread the wealth....the GSW Experiment (Kyrie-GH-The Jays-Al Horford) - is OFFICIALLY OVER with GH's departure.

It's Jaylen's (and Jayson's) time.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense.

Well the offseason lasted about twenty minutes this time around. The development in Brown's ballhandling has been steady from the beginning; fans usually seem to be at least a season behind in their assessments.  JB was already a wizard at it in Fall 2019, without being any worse at ballhandling turnovers - even as posters here continued to claim that he was only capable of straight-line drives.

Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens.

So interesting also to see him as the screener in a couple of pick and pops with Teague.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He was a borderline all star last season. He should be one this year. He looked like it for sure in game one.

It's just one game and 4 assists is nothing to write home about, but that number is what I'm watching with him. I said this same thing about Tatum last year: if he can make plays for other guys, it'll wind up making things easier for himself in the long run and that's how you become a superstar.

Brown looked awesome last night. Love him. Love him and Tatum together. I'm excited.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense.

Well the offseason lasted about twenty minutes this time around. The development in Brown's ballhandling has been steady from the beginning; fans usually seem to be at least a season behind in their assessments.  JB was already a wizard at it in Fall 2019, without being any worse at ballhandling turnovers - even as posters here continued to claim that he was only capable of straight-line drives.

Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens.

So interesting also to see him as the screener in a couple of pick and pops with Teague.
Agree completely about his handle, but I do believe he is even slightly better and his confidence in it has lead to his better floor vision and ability to create better offense for both himself and his teammates.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I love his midrange shots from FT line area.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I mean... Tatum and Brown literally had the Celtics 1 quarter away from the NBA finals 3 years ago against Cleveland... It shouldn't be a surprise that they're still ready to lead the team.

Danny and Brad just finally got out of their own way.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A lot of his statline is good, but one thing that especially pops out to me is the turnovers, or lack thereof. Even as recently as the playoffs last season JB would often make really poor reads, either dribbling into 3 defenders and losing it or throwing bad passes. If that’s gone... watch out!

As another poster said, loved seeing him set picks for Teague and jump out quickly in a pick & pop. Pretty sure it led to an open 3 to end a quarter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Jaylen played a superstar level game last night, but he hasn't shown that he can bring that level of play every night.   Hope that his next leap is that consistency.