Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 367010 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2130 on: April 23, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Would love to read what you guys think regarding the following questions:

1. Can Simmons and Embiid play together?

2. Will the Sixers trade one of them in the foreseeable future? If so, who's the odd man out?

3. Would you want the C's to go after either one of them? If so, what would it take to strike a deal with the Sixers?

4. If Simmons becomes available, which teams would be a good fit for him? I'm focusing on Simmons because it is harder to build a team around him.

(#1P4P already gave an answer for the 4th question a couple of posts above)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:07:18 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2131 on: April 23, 2020, 02:15:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Simmons would be awesome in Sacto in the Richaun Holmes role and starting next to Bjelica, Barnes, Hield, and Fox.  Not sure what the trade would look like, but maybe for Simmons the Kings make Bogdanovic available.  Add him to Bagley, Giles, their lotto pick, a couple of future firsts, and salary filler and that might work for both teams.  Hield instead of Bogdanovic would also potentially work.  I think that is more a preference thing.  Provides a lot more depth to the Sixers that seems like it would fit well, while also adding some talented, albeit injury prone youngsters, and gives Bagley a fresh start.  The Kings get a marquee name signed long term to be the face of the franchise, and I do really think he'd work well with their remaining backcourt/wing trio. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2132 on: April 23, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Would love to read what you guys think regarding the following questions:

2. Will the Sixers trade one of them in the foreseeable future? If so, who's the odd man out?

3. Would you want the C's to go after either one of them? If so, what would it take to strike a deal with the Sixers?

4. If Simmons becomes available, which teams would be a good fit for him? I'm focusing on Simmons because it is harder to build a team around him.

(#1P4P already gave an answer for the 4th question a couple of posts above)

Great questions. Here are my thoughts:

-No, I don't think their respective skillsets/games fit well, and it doesn't seem like their personalities fit well either. Embiid needs the ball a lot, and needs shooters around him who open up the floor for him to operate. Simmons needs the ball a lot, and needs guys that want to run with him instead of slowing down the game to get Embiid shots, and he also needs shooters around him to compensate for his complete lack of outside shooting.

We are very fortunate that Tatum and Brown mesh so well together both in terms of skill sets as well as personality.

-I would think so, although the Sixers continue to make poor roster decisions. I would think who goes out depends on the offers they get for each of them, but imo, I expect Embiid to stay and Simmons to go. Embiid is a generational talent, and Simmons lack of outside shooting in a league that continues to move more and more towards valuing shooting above all else, is a big problem. Also, Simmons just does not show leadership qualities that you would want from a franchise player.

Easily no. While I would like to have either one on the C's, the likely cost is way too high for me. I would not move Tatum or Brown for one of them, and I don't see the Sixers moving either of them without getting Tatum or Brown in return. We have something special with our young guys, its not worth screwing it up.

Plus, Embiid lacks maturity, and Simmons shooting would be a problem under our system.

Simmons to GSW would be a good fit imo. Lots of vets who can shoot to surround him with and let him work his magic in a fast-paced, high scoring offense.

Simmons in Houston for Westbrook would also be a great fit, and an ideal trade for both teams.

« Reply #2133 on: April 23, 2020, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think Simmons would be awesome in Sacto in the Richaun Holmes role and starting next to Bjelica, Barnes, Hield, and Fox.  Not sure what the trade would look like, but maybe for Simmons the Kings make Bogdanovic available.  Add him to Bagley, Giles, their lotto pick, a couple of future firsts, and salary filler and that might work for both teams.  Hield instead of Bogdanovic would also potentially work.  I think that is more a preference thing.  Provides a lot more depth to the Sixers that seems like it would fit well, while also adding some talented, albeit injury prone youngsters, and gives Bagley a fresh start.  The Kings get a marquee name signed long term to be the face of the franchise, and I do really think he'd work well with their remaining backcourt/wing trio.

I agree that it would be awesome to see Simmons in Sac-town. I disagree that they have what it takes.

Neither Bagley nor Giles can be a key piece. They don't fit the roster and are a couple years away from really contributing to winning. The Sixers may not have that much of a contention window with Embiid's injury concerns. They need veterans. I like the idea of Bogdon and/or Hield. Hield is a terrible defender, which is a real concern for a team with Title hopes. I don't think Bogdan is enough with draft picks to get Simmons. I just don't see the deal there.

Now maybe a creative three-team trade that sent Bagley to a third team desperate for youth, potential, and scoring would be possible. Maybe to Portland for McCullom (Kings would need to give more), or Pheonix for Oubre, or Washington for Bertans. Any of those players would be a better fit in Philly for a team with title hopes.

« Reply #2134 on: April 23, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I agree that it would be awesome to see Simmons in Sac-town. I disagree that they have what it takes.

Neither Bagley nor Giles can be a key piece. They don't fit the roster and are a couple years away from really contributing to winning. The Sixers may not have that much of a contention window with Embiid's injury concerns. They need veterans. I like the idea of Bogdon and/or Hield. Hield is a terrible defender, which is a real concern for a team with Title hopes. I don't think Bogdan is enough with draft picks to get Simmons. I just don't see the deal there.

Now maybe a creative three-team trade that sent Bagley to a third team desperate for youth, potential, and scoring would be possible. Maybe to Portland for McCullom (Kings would need to give more), or Pheonix for Oubre, or Washington for Bertans. Any of those players would be a better fit in Philly for a team with title hopes.
I could definitely see a 3rd team, but I think Bagley still has pretty solid value.  he was the #2 pick for a reason and Sacto really has mismanaged his career (the injuries haven't helped).  now maybe he is damaged goods, but if he can recover physically, he has all of the tools to be a really great player.  Obviously the injuries have diminished his value a great deal, but his talent level is very high.  I think a deal for a PG would make sense.  Maybe Toronto wants to move on from Lowry and go younger around Siakam (for example).

maybe something like this works for all 3 teams

Sacramento - Simmons, Scott
Philadelphia - Lowry, Hield, Sac lotto pick
Toronto - Richardson, Bagley, Sac protected future 1st

Seems like reasonably fair value, but Toronto would have to want to move on from Lowry for them to do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2135 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Throwback to two years ago when THIS happened!

Better clean up all that confetti 76ers nation ahahaha

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2136 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

God bless the confetti game!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2137 on: May 05, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

God bless the confetti game!

I had fun poking at 76ers fans that yaer, telling them to bring their brooms out to sweep away that confetti and leave it there for the Celtics in Game 4.

I loved that phenomenal run though. I missed that Celtics playoff team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2138 on: May 05, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »

• Paul Silas

I could definitely see a 3rd team, but I think Bagley still has pretty solid value.  he was the #2 pick for a reason and Sacto really has mismanaged his career (the injuries haven't helped).  now maybe he is damaged goods, but if he can recover physically, he has all of the tools to be a really great player.  Obviously the injuries have diminished his value a great deal, but his talent level is very high.  I think a deal for a PG would make sense.  Maybe Toronto wants to move on from Lowry and go younger around Siakam (for example).

maybe something like this works for all 3 teams

Sacramento - Simmons, Scott
Philadelphia - Lowry, Hield, Sac lotto pick
Toronto - Richardson, Bagley, Sac protected future 1st

Seems like reasonably fair value, but Toronto would have to want to move on from Lowry for them to do it.

Interesting idea. I liked Bagley in the draft a lot and still think he will be a good player. But without significant growth, he is a dinosaur in the modern NBA. That's a legitimate concern with him that raises the risk profile (I think a bit more risk than you are thinking).

The Raptors are big game hunting. If they don't think Bagley can either be part of a championship team or be a significant trade piece, I don't think they take him.

« Reply #2139 on: May 05, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
the day after Lebron retires or leaves LA.   Simmons will sign the next day .

« Reply #2140 on: August 24, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Brett Brown fired.

« Reply #2141 on: August 25, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Lowe had Yaron Weitzman on his podcast yesterday to do a Phily postmortem. Weitzman has a Process book coming out and apparently the section on Fultz is really good. They talked a little about how Fultz's workout in Boston was terrible and someone close to Fultz blamed it on there not being any music playing in the gym and too many old White guys watching him.

It sounds like the kid was just not ready to be an NBA lottery pick, mentally, and doesn't have much of an aptitude for resilience.

Lowe also says finding a Horford trade is going to be really hard if the Sixers want to get rid of him. So Danny dodged that bullet.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2142 on: August 25, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lowe had Yaron Weitzman on his podcast yesterday to do a Phily postmortem. Weitzman has a Process book coming out and apparently the section on Fultz is really good. They talked a little about how Fultz's workout in Boston was terrible and someone close to Fultz blamed it on there not being any music playing in the gym and too many old White guys watching him.

It sounds like the kid was just not ready to be an NBA lottery pick, mentally, and doesn't have much of an aptitude for resilience.

Lowe also says finding a Horford trade is going to be really hard if the Sixers want to get rid of him. So Danny dodged that bullet.

This books sounds like it'll be fascinating.

« Reply #2143 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you enjoying reading about the failure & misfortune of the Sixers organization, this is a very enjoyable read.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/9/21/21445360/the-sixers-are-dangerously-close-to-becoming-like-the-knicks-heres-5-reasons-why-philadelphia-76ers

« Reply #2144 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »

• Paul Silas