Author Topic: So give me some adjustments  (Read 7867 times)

Re: So give me some adjustments
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adjustments:

1.  Play Gordo

2.  ?

3.  Profit

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not an adjustment. But a lack of trust has emerged on the court. It is palpable. This team is great when they play unselfishly, zip the ball, drive in and dish out. Seeing little of that. Is the Heat zone responsible for this? I don’t think so.

You're not wrong.  It's reason #154,187,943 why the one adjustment that really needs to be made can only be made by Danny/Wyc and that is to hire a competent coach because the one we currently have is not competent.

We may still win due to our talent and in spite if Brad, but it will never be because of him.  But I'm not even mad about it anymore.  I just had to realize I needed to adjust my expectations.

This blog has been pretty hard on Brad Stevens... Question though, who are Brad's assistants? Are they competent and given his lack of pro experience at coaching, you would think they would give him some experienced assistants, Does he have any, or has Danny gone cheap on that too.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
You got 15 point lead in 2nd half. Just stay focused and close the game. They ain't no Lakers. Thats all. We've missed it twice so far...

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 03:55:29 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
1. Grow up, grow a collective pair, stop moping around because it's physical and meet force with force - or go home. Probably the most important thing this team can do.

Then:

1. If Miami goes zone again, I'd get Tatum into the middle of it with the ball in his hands. He's probably our best overall combo scorer/play maker. I'd consistently flash him into the middle of the zone and make it a priority to get him the ball once he's there.

2. Bam is generally too big for Theis and too fast for Kanter. I'd actually "play" Robert Williams. I assumed he was injured last game and unavailable.

3. The Heat are jamming the dribble of our wings at the top of the zone, blitzing with doubles. We're not going to get into the middle of the zone trying to beat those doubles off the dribble. So again I'd make it a point to get Tatum into the middle of the zone as much as possible.

4. Play "hard" for 48 minutes and don't assume just because we get a big lead the other team is going to lay down. We need to learn that lesson - it'a common one for young teams to learn...

I firmly believe we're the better team (Hayward would help a lot, but even without Hayward I think we're better). But we can't just think we're better - we have play better and prove with what we're doing on the court in a focused, forceful way.   

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
1. Grow up, grow a collective pair, stop moping around because it's physical and meet force with force - or go home. Probably the most important thing this team can do.

Then:

1. If Miami goes zone again, I'd get Tatum into the middle of it with the ball in his hands. He's probably our best overall combo scorer/play maker. I'd consistently flash him into the middle of the zone and make it a priority to get him the ball once he's there.

2. Bam is generally too big for Theis and too fast for Kanter. I'd actually "play" Robert Williams. I assumed he was injured last game and unavailable.

3. The Heat are jamming the dribble of our wings at the top of the zone, blitzing with doubles. We're not going to get into the middle of the zone trying to beat those doubles off the dribble. So again I'd make it a point to get Tatum into the middle of the zone as much as possible.

4. Play "hard" for 48 minutes and don't assume just because we get a big lead the other team is going to lay down. We need to learn that lesson - it'a common one for young teams to learn...

I firmly believe we're the better team (Hayward would help a lot, but even without Hayward I think we're better). But we can't just think we're better - we have play better and prove with what we're doing on the court in a focused, forceful way.   

Excellent points except for your suggestion of using Tatum to breakdown the zone. Tatum's handle is too loose to use him as the guy to break down the zone. Hayward should be the guy for this.

The bolded point though summarizes it all for me.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
In previous playoff runs Stevens consistently made suprising adjustments. Think of Evan Turner, Jonas Jerebko, Gerald Green, Semi Ojeleye or Marcus Morris. All of them were regular season bench players who were inserted into the starting line-up for match-up purposes and often with great success.

I hope Stevens still has that mojo. Dragic and Adebayo have been tough match-ups. I really want Brown to become the primary defender on Dragic and I'd like to see Robert Williams in the starting line-up and cover Adebayo. Making those tough decisions will also get the players on edge, if you don't perform someone else is ready to take your place and I really like Theis but he isn't getting the job done.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Danny should remember how to combat Riley from 1984. No more layups, no more dunks, put Heat players on the floor.

Of course, Danny seems to have forgotten everything about playing with the greatest frontcourt in history and how the Celts used physical play to destroy the lakers. Yeah, I know the game has changed. We probably can't pull a McHale Takedown on Rambis move or risk being arrested by the soft, modern NBA. But we can sure be just as physical as Miami and need to do it when we have the lead instead of playing so carelessly. And let Kanter or Grant put Bam Bam down hard a couple of times early - send a message. Marcus Smart's locker room tirade is a good start.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 06:20:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Coach Nick from Basketball Breakdown has some pretty interesting ideas on what the Celtics can do if Miami shows up the 2-3 zone again.

https://youtu.be/28zri-gc8yI?t=540
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I have an idea. Lock Brad in the locker room at halftime and let Marcus Smart player coach the 2nd half.

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 07:41:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Adjust to the bubble... the Bubble has cost the Cs two games in the post season therefore the coaches should be mindful of the Bubble. Here is what I mean, Game 3 of the Toronto series, Lowery does not make that pass over Tako as easily as he did if he did not have the extra space to step back because of no sideline seats. Also, Game 2 of the Heat series, Butler does not make that hustle save that carried and recover to dunk the ball if there were sideline seats because his momentum would have sent him into the courside seats and if that was Boston Garden the fans probably hold him down lol and pour beer on him - acidentally of course. lol.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Danny should remember how to combat Riley from 1984. No more layups, no more dunks, put Heat players on the floor.

Of course, Danny seems to have forgotten everything about playing with the greatest frontcourt in history and how the Celts used physical play to destroy the lakers. Yeah, I know the game has changed. We probably can't pull a McHale Takedown on Rambis move or risk being arrested by the soft, modern NBA. But we can sure be just as physical as Miami and need to do it when we have the lead instead of playing so carelessly. And let Kanter or Grant put Bam Bam down hard a couple of times early - send a message. Marcus Smart's locker room tirade is a good start.
Danny also has no impact on how we play...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No impact other than the fact that we have no bench. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

No impact other than the fact that we have no bench. ;)
Oh yeah, tell me about it. Seeing guys like Alec Burks, Glenn Robinson, James Ennis, Jordan Clarkson and the like get traded for 2nd rounders hurt
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 03:32:59 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
So I guess some of the adjustments were:

• attacking the zone by driving into the paint as much as possible by abusing mismatches (eg Jaylen - Robinson, Jayson - Robinson). We outscored them 60-36 in the paint
  • putting Hayward and Tatum in the middle of the zone and Theis on the perimeter to take Adebayo out of the paint and make it easier to attack with our wings
  • much better off-ball movement, relocation, backdoor cuts to attack the seams of the zone (I noticed Jaylen and GWill benefiting from this) and more drive and kicks to open players on the perimeter (Gordon really helped with this, he has a good toolkit to attack a zone because he does everything decisively and the ball never sticks to his hand)
  • defensively, switching Kemba onto Jae who Miami doesn't really use in the PnR as he's more a spot up shooter and switching Smart onto Dragic. Crowder ended up with 2-10 from 3 and had no 2 pt FGA while Dragic was also 2-10 overall and was a game worst -29 plus minus and he didn't have anywhere near the dribble penetration he did the first 2 games
  • probably the most important one - attitude = playing with more aggression, desperation and force, having more hustle plays (Jaylen I think had at least 3 deflections that turned into transition buckets)

So we got quite a few of them right.  :laugh:

I'm sure with 3 days off Spoelstra will review the film and make his own adjustments. They're not going to want to keep falling behind by big margins, both Herro and Buckets mentioned this in their pressers. Kind of like what we were doing during the regular season last year, falling behind and spending huge amounts of energy trying to catch up.

They're going to want to get Dragic more into the game, he's their #1 creator. And they will keep working their mismatches with Bam. Brad and the team need to be ready. And our next biggest adjustments = play for full 48 minutes. DON'T PANIC when defending a lead with time running down, keep playing, have confidence in what got us this far, don't run into the trap of slowing our pace to milk the clock.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 03:59:46 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
1. Stop Dragic 

2. Stop Bam

3. Defend the 3s

4 Attack the hoop relentlessly for 48 minutes

5. Don't jack up 3 point bricks