Author Topic: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?  (Read 13751 times)

Re: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
It would have to be a situation like the OP described where Oakfor is looking like a ROY but he and Noel don't look good together at all. In that case, offering a PF who could work with Okafor (Sullinger or Olynyk) along with a redundant player on out roster (Bradley if Rozier looks good, Young if Hunter comes on strong) and a couple of future picks might get it done, but only if Philly wants to part with him to start.

I wouldn't trade Marcus Smart or Brooklyn's pick for Noel, who is terrific but limited.

But Noel looked like ROY with a better Rookie Class and Wiggins.
Yeah, he's terrific. I'd love to have him. But I think what Smart brings to the table is incredibly valuable and I would do everything I can to hold onto him now and see what he develops in to. I also think this upcoming brooklyn pick has the potential to get the Celtics the best player on their roster and I'm not willing to give up on that either.

Short of those two things, though, I'd send Philly a lot to get Noel.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
What would be interesting if DMC really does flame out in Sacto.  Maybe Philly says, how about Okafor and a couple of protected 1sts.  All of a sudden Philly has DMC and Noel to anchor the interior.  Not sure Boston could be that sort of package.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
What would be interesting if DMC really does flame out in Sacto.  Maybe Philly says, how about Okafor and a couple of protected 1sts.  All of a sudden Philly has DMC and Noel to anchor the interior.  Not sure Boston could be that sort of package.

Sacramento is swapping with Philly the next two years because they are betting on their record compared to Phillys, lol

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
We probably have to give up a top 5 pick with another Nets pick. I doubt anything happens at the trade deadline.

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 05:04:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Sacramento is swapping with Philly the next two years because they are betting on their record compared to Phillys, lol
Yeah but if DMC demands a trade, Philly has the best assets, including the removal of the swap and adding the picks themselves plus Okafor (he makes more sense than Noel if you are acquiring DMC). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Yeah but if DMC demands a trade, Philly has the best assets, including the removal of the swap and adding the picks themselves plus Okafor (he makes more sense than Noel if you are acquiring DMC).
Do you think Cousins would willingly go to Philly? I sure don't.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Yep, not a chance he would go to the NBA's biggest 'project'. Not even Cousins can upset the Sacramento front office that much.

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I do agree that it's impossible for us (or almost anyone else) to outbid Philly straight-up for Demarcus Cousins, if only because they can offer several of their own unprotected firsts, which have a very high likelihood of being in the top three.

Question is whether Sacramento would risk ruining their relationship with Cousin's agent by shipping him to an even worse situation. I suppose they're crazy enough that they just might.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I d bet Danny has a few ideas running around in his head about offers for Nerlins .   Trades , picks , schemes .....

You know he realizes Nerlins is probably the best fit out there for this team .  His age would allow the Celtics to complete

The overhaul ......just about the time LeBron realizes he an't the man he used to be.

Nerlins ...is the missing link to a contending team in a few years

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Not at all. They have a pretty crappy reputation to any established player in the league right now.

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

It doesn't matter.  Cousins has no say on if or who he gets traded to. 

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It would take a new Philly GM to get Noel to Boston at the deadline.

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO if there is one young center the C's should want to get their hands on, it should be Noel. He's cat quick, nimble, defensive minded, protects the rim. He runs the floor well, young with upside, he would fit CBS style well.
Unfortunately, he actually may be able to play next to Okafor, he skills would seem to complement him well,   and he may be able to defend all but the quickest power forwards.

How we get him without giving up Smart is the question. We just don't have the player assets.

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

It certainly does matter. I mean sure, you can trade him there without any say, but Cousins can go kicking and screaming. Philly isn't even close to being competitive. The Embiid situation is a huge set back for them. If they trade for Cousins in the next couple years, he's gonna destroy whatever semblance of progress they have. If they trade say, Okafor and a top pick for him, your gonna put a team out there with Cousins, Noel, Robert Covington and a bunch of d-leaguers? No way.

If Cousins wants out in the next year or so, we have the best assets of the realistic teams he could go to. Orlando isn't that far behind, Phoneix too. But Philly isn't a realistic option, for either party precisely because Cousins won't want to go there. You don't trade for players who vehemently don't want to play for you, especially when you've been purposely fielding a team of scrubs just to lose as many games as possible and you trade anyone who could make you a little too good.

Part of the hidden costs of the Philly experiment. Players around the league really don't like what Philly is doing, and for that reason I doubt they get anyone to sign there until all the losing produces serious, winning results. And in trades the same applies. You don't trade for a guy of Cousins stature who doesn't want to play for you, especially when he's as volatile as Cousins. Not until they have a good team with talent to spare. They don't have that right now.

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

It certainly does matter. I mean sure, you can trade him there without any say, but Cousins can go kicking and screaming. Philly isn't even close to being competitive. The Embiid situation is a huge set back for them. If they trade for Cousins in the next couple years, he's gonna destroy whatever semblance of progress they have. If they trade say, Okafor and a top pick for him, your gonna put a team out there with Cousins, Noel, Robert Covington and a bunch of d-leaguers? No way.

If Cousins wants out in the next year or so, we have the best assets of the realistic teams he could go to. Orlando isn't that far behind, Phoneix too. But Philly isn't a realistic option, for either party precisely because Cousins won't want to go there. You don't trade for players who vehemently don't want to play for you, especially when you've been purposely fielding a team of scrubs just to lose as many games as possible and you trade anyone who could make you a little too good.

Part of the hidden costs of the Philly experiment. Players around the league really don't like what Philly is doing, and for that reason I doubt they get anyone to sign there until all the losing produces serious, winning results. And in trades the same applies. You don't trade for a guy of Cousins stature who doesn't want to play for you, especially when he's as volatile as Cousins. Not until they have a good team with talent to spare. They don't have that right now.
Hinkie is looking for a star to build around.  If none of the Sixers young players show star potential and Cousins comes on the market next offseason, I think Hinkie would seriously consider trading for him.  Cousins would still have 2 years on his contract.  The Sixers would still have some picks and plenty of cap space to acquire additional talent.  They could put together a lineup like Jennings/DeRozan/Covington/Noel/Cousins and be competitive in the East.