Author Topic: Please, can we slow down with the "merge" threads  (Read 3431 times)

Please, can we slow down with the "merge" threads
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I appreciate all the work with the mods, so dont take this the wrong way.  This is just constructive criticism, but can we stop or slow down with the merge threads?  I realize that there are many topics very close, but some of these merges are getting pretty rediculous.  I think there are some topics that even though they are close, they're not exactly the same thing.

Also, I think it's equally frustrating to find a merged thread that is already 7 pages long, so you don't even know how it started or where it's at that point, or there are five different conversations going on through the same thread.  Thanks again and great job with everything!

PS. This ramble was triggered by what I thought was a well written reply that wasnt posted because it had been moved.  :)
Baby Jesus!

Re: Please, can we slow down with the "merge" threads
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, I can say that we're not going to stop merging threads; many of them are on the exact same issue, and it's silly to have multiple threads.  In terms of reducing merges, it's something we can look into, if necessary.

Also, we generally don't merge an active conversation with one that has been inactive for awhile.  However, if two conversations are active and on the same topic, we're probably going to merge them.

What constitutes "same topic" or "similar topic" is of course discretionary, and that's up to each staff member.  I know the staff as a whole has given wide latitude lately in the number of new topics started, even when they largely overlapped. 

It's unfortunate that replies are lost when a topic is merged; I've had this exact same thing happen to me on multiple occasions.   

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Please, don't stop the merges.  All I ask is to reduce them.  It's just frustrating to see a topic that has already gone over 5 pages, so I dont even know where the conversation is at, and I dont wanna look back at every page to read the posts.  But thanks for listening to me.  You guys do a great job with this site and I am truly thankful for it.  I am just glad there's a place for real diehard fans on the internet.  Plus, I am frustrated with the loss from last night.  I flipped out at my roomate after the game because he asked me if he could have some of my juice.  I am just stressed!

Oooh.. I need take a deep breath! 
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Please, don't stop the merges.  All I ask is to reduce them.  It's just frustrating to see a topic that has already gone over 5 pages, so I dont even know where the conversation is at, and I dont wanna look back at every page to read the posts.  But thanks for listening to me.  You guys do a great job with this site and I am truly thankful for it.  I am just glad there's a place for real diehard fans on the internet.  Plus, I am frustrated with the loss from last night.  I flipped out at my roomate after the game because he asked me if he could have some of my juice.  I am just stressed!

TP for flipping out at your roommate over juice ;D  The nerve of some people!

BTW, I had a long response written before but Roy pretty much covered it.  Here is a list of potential similar topic starters that might be good candidates to be merged:

Doc Sucks, Doc Can't Coach, Fire Doc, Doc is a Poopy Head, Who's Our Next Coach?, Doc Still Sucks, I Think Doc Is To Blame,  It's All Doc's Fault etc..
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

TP for flipping out at your roommate over juice ;D  The nerve of some people!

BTW, I had a long response written before but Roy pretty much covered it.  Here is a list of potential similar topic starters that might be good candidates to be merged:

Doc Sucks, Doc Can't Coach, Fire Doc, Doc is a Poopy Head, Who's Our Next Coach?, Doc Still Sucks, I Think Doc Is To Blame,  It's All Doc's Fault etc..

without forgeting
docs a moron
Isiah is better than Doc
outcoaching Doc so easy.....
No champ= Doc  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!