Author Topic: Help me pick 12 xbox games  (Read 9175 times)

Help me pick 12 xbox games
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 (because I am addicted to Ninja Gaiden, and NG2 is only on xbox), and if I do, I have the opportunity to get any 12 games for $180.

My question is, what games should I get?  I already have a PS3, and since I tend to prefer that system, I'd like to focus on Xbox exclusives, if possible.  I know I'm going to get the following games:

1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Mass Effect
4. Bioshock

That gives me eight more titles to buy.  Help me out.  I'm into pretty much anything other than the Guitar Hero / Rockband type games.  (I'll be picking GTA4 up here soon; I'm debating whether to get it for Xbox or PS3.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Help me pick 12 xbox games
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

Offline jonez11

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
As a 360 owner with only 7 games, I can personally vouch for Dead Rising, Saint's Row, and Crackdown, in that order. As for GTA4, the 360 version comes with a code for 1 free month of Xbox Live which, combined with the free month you'll receive for buying a console, should give you plenty of time to play Halo, Gears, and GTA online.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Good info, thanks.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Well Roy I know what I've played and like, in random order.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater - whichever one. great games but you really have to stick with them and play them lots, very skillful game to master. assuming you're getting 12 it may not be the best option.

Call of Duty 4 - insane. online it's masterful, campaign it's a blast. remember, when you get to the ferris wheel lay down in the prone on the other side of the stage and shoot under the stage and through the fence, that'll save you hrs of game play on the harder levels.

Top Spin 3 - don't be deterred by tennis games of the past, 2 was a great game and 3's highly touted with online support.

OBLIVION - the only problem with this game is as adults we have too much money to stick with one game. if i was going to go back to childhood and have one game to take with me this would be it. it's infinite, think back to your Final Fantasy/Zelda days, that's how I felt playing this game. but wow it takes up a lot of your time. second highest game rating of all time other than GTA IV.

Star Wars the Force Unleashed - obviously it's out in Sept which is a ways away but you're Darth Vader's flippin' apprentice, no need to elaborate on how money that is.

Assassin's Creed - the first game to somewhat fully harness the capabilities of the system. aside from being stunning, it's a blast to play.

Star Wars Lego - fantastic game. i play it with my 4 year old niece and we both have a blast. i know it sounds rediculous and i was the first kind of person to scoff at it but it's so much fun. great when you're drinking or on the phone, or on Celticsblog ;)

The Orange Box - it's Half-Life 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 all bundled up into one game. Half Life 2 is to me the best made video game of all time, just not long enough. i can only assume you've seen it on pc though.

Splinter Cell - if you haven't played the Splinter Cell series much buy them all and start with the oldest one and work your way up. masterful games, terrific system and each one is far better than the last. very replayable too, getting through each level without being detected once is quite a chore.

Table Tennis - Mario Kart type fun.

Pretty much it for me Roy, not too swept up some of the more obscure titles these days, I stick to my EA games exclusively these days for the most part. Some of these titles are for both systems but I don't pay attention to PS3.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
As a 360 owner with only 7 games, I can personally vouch for Dead Rising, Saint's Row, and Crackdown, in that order. As for GTA4, the 360 version comes with a code for 1 free month of Xbox Live which, combined with the free month you'll receive for buying a console, should give you plenty of time to play Halo, Gears, and GTA online.

I actually didn't like Dead Rising or Saint's row.

1. Nba 2k8
2. Call of Duty 4
3. GTA 4
4. Bioshock

Those are the only games I ever play.  I would suggest getting gamefly.com.  It is like the netflix of videogames.  I get 2 at a time and that way I get to try every game and I never waste any money (except for 14/month but I think its worth it).

A friend just told me the new gran turismo is awesome.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Good list already, so I will leave those alone

Call of Duty 4 is a must, the online play is the best I've ever seen

Oblivion also a must if you like those game. Undeniable.

ummmm

Orange Box awesome

DOA 4 is really just fantastic. online sucks though because people are so good that new guys don't have a shot

NBA 2k8. You should get this so I can beat you online.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Oblivion
Assassin's Creed
NBA Live '08
Tiger Woods
Mass Effect
Crackdown
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Dark Sector (a very unique and underrated action title)

The big problem you're gonna face Roy, is that each of these games takes many hours to complete.  Buying so many at once is going to inundate you with options.  There will be too much temptation to play one for 5 minutes, reach a tough obstacle, and flip to the next game.  Personally I'd recommend not even opening more than 2 at once.  Just concentrate on those 2, and leave the rest in their package.  Otherwise you'll miss the meat and potatoes of what these high caliber games are all about - engaging story lines with phenomenal gameplay.

Now if you're the type of guy who doesn't care if you complete a game, and you just want to own them so they look cool on a shelf in your man-cave, then have at all of them. 

Also, it should be noted if you don't have an HD tv set up, then you're really robbing yourself.  That would be like owning a 6 speed Porsche, but never shifting above 3rd gear even on the highway.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
The big problem you're gonna face Roy, is that each of these games takes many hours to complete.  Buying so many at once is going to inundate you with options.  There will be too much temptation to play one for 5 minutes, reach a tough obstacle, and flip to the next game.  Personally I'd recommend not even opening more than 2 at once.  Just concentrate on those 2, and leave the rest in their package.  Otherwise you'll miss the meat and potatoes of what these high caliber games are all about - engaging story lines with phenomenal gameplay.

I think this is right on.  I'm fairly good at focusing at one game at a time, but you're absolutely right, it can be overwhelming having a lot of new title's at once.  I'm just now getting around to playing some of the games I got for Christmas.

Now if you're the type of guy who doesn't care if they complete a game, and you just want to own them and look cool with them on a shelf in your man-cave, then have at all of them.  Also, if you don't have an HD tv set up, then you're really robbing yourself.  It's kind of like owning a 6 speed Porsche, but never shifting above 3rd gear even on the highway.

Haha.  I'm that way with dvds, probably, but not with games.  And yeah, I've got HD in my living room; I need to get a better TV for my bedroom, but that can wait.

Thanks to everybody so far.  Anybody who has posted in this thread gets a TP; I appreciate it.

(For the record, I have COD4, Assassin's Creed, and Tiger 08 for PS3.  Great games.)

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline Ibleedgreen76

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
where is the mention of viva pinata?

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I dunno if you should have Halo 3 on top of your list, Roy. I've played a lot of Halo in my days and i've probably won close to 2000 dollars in tournaments in local tournaments (more including the non-cash prizes) and still nothing compares to the original Halo. So if you didn't have an original Xbox, Halo 1 is only like 5 bucks now anyway and is still probably a top-three shooting game. Halo 2 is actually probably more fun than three but then three probably takes more skill, too... But Halo 1 still is the best.

Also, if you're into the shooters Call of Duty 4 is a MUST, especially if you don't already have it for your PS3. The 360 controller is just built for shooters and feels really nice, too... So that's probably a good reason to buy CoD4 for the Xbox over the PS3. It's really, really a great game no matter what you buy it for, though.

Anyway, other than those games Crackdown is a really fun GTA-meets-Superman styled sandbox game. Dead Rising is fun for just some good ole fashioned zombie killing. I don't know I'd probably go with a list similar to this...

1. Halo 1 (if you don't have the original Xbox)
2. Call of Duty 4
3. Crackdown
4. Gears of War
5. Dead Rising
6. Bioshock (actually should be higher, I'm just stupid and forgot it. Amazing game)
7. Halo 3
8. Forza Motorsport 2 (if you like the racing simulations)
9. PGR4 (More of an arcade racers)
10. Kameo
11. Perfect Dark Zero
12. Condemned

And I don't know if you're into the online gaming, but if you've got the broadband internet you can just get a silver account you don't have to pay for and the Xbox 360 has a place where you can download a bunch of free demos and TV shows and whole bunch of other stuff.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I think this is right on.  I'm fairly good at focusing at one game at a time, but you're absolutely right, it can be overwhelming having a lot of new title's at once.  I'm just now getting around to playing some of the games I got for Christmas.

Now if you're the type of guy who doesn't care if they complete a game, and you just want to own them and look cool with them on a shelf in your man-cave, then have at all of them.  Also, if you don't have an HD tv set up, then you're really robbing yourself.  It's kind of like owning a 6 speed Porsche, but never shifting above 3rd gear even on the highway.

Haha.  I'm that way with dvds, probably, but not with games.  And yeah, I've got HD in my living room; I need to get a better TV for my bedroom, but that can wait.

Thanks to everybody so far.  Anybody who has posted in this thread gets a TP; I appreciate it.

(For the record, I have COD4, Assassin's Creed, and Tiger 08 for PS3.  Great games.)

Sweet dude.  Your Padawan training is over.  You are ready to face the Jedi trials.  May the Force be with you, homeslice. . .

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

I actually didn't like Dead Rising or Saint's row.

1. Nba 2k8
2. Call of Duty 4
3. GTA 4
4. Bioshock

Those are the only games I ever play.  I would suggest getting gamefly.com.  It is like the netflix of videogames.  I get 2 at a time and that way I get to try every game and I never waste any money (except for 14/month but I think its worth it).

A friend just told me the new gran turismo is awesome.

GT5 Prologue is well worth the $40. Granted it's only a fraction of the full GT experience, but a fraction of the GT experiece is  worlds better than 97.2937464% (except for Forza and Mario Kart) of the racing titles out there. I just can't play it until finals are over.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
halo 3 for sure, Call of Duty 4 is a must, and i spend most of my online time playing nba 2k8. but i can't believe no one has brought up rainbow 6 vegas yet! i think that it's a pretty sweet game...4 player online co-op is a blast.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 (because I am addicted to Ninja Gaiden, and NG2 is only on xbox), and if I do, I have the opportunity to get any 12 games for $180.

My question is, what games should I get?  I already have a PS3, and since I tend to prefer that system, I'd like to focus on Xbox exclusives, if possible.  I know I'm going to get the following games:

1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War
3. Mass Effect
4. Bioshock

That gives me eight more titles to buy.  Help me out.  I'm into pretty much anything other than the Guitar Hero / Rockband type games.  (I'll be picking GTA4 up here soon; I'm debating whether to get it for Xbox or PS3.)

u should pick up gta4, which u already said.  you should also get either nba live 2008 or nba 2k8, along with madden 2008.  after that, u cant go wrong with anything star wars ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
call of duty 4 and GTA are must haves, along with bioshock

Also, nba2k8 is the far superior basketball simulator. nba live is nba jam again this year unfortuanly :(

mass effect is also a must have

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion