Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 6172 times)

Inglourious Basterds
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I have not seen a thread dedicated to the movie so I decided to create one.

I'm not a big fan of Tarantino : I've seen almost all his movies, and I liked the majority of them but I never thought he was the genius people say he is.

Now, I've just seen Inglourious Basterds and I really loved the movie. I think it's just great : a good mix of different registers, great actors (Waltz, Pitt...), great scenes, some trash (but not too much) and hilarious scenes (Pitt's accent is just one the funny things of the movie)!

Have you guys seen Inglourious Basterds? Did you like it?

Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
This movie was outstanding, I thought. Even better the second time around... Brad Pitt's accent the whole time he was in the theater absolutely killed me. I thought he was hilarious, and the whole movie I would recommend wholeheartedly to anyone who likes Tarantino. If you don't like Tarantino or movies that have a little bit of gore/blood/violence in them, this might not be your best bet.

Christoph Waltz is outstanding though, as really was just about everyone else. Waltz is another in a long line of excellent Tarantino "bad guys".
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:01:19 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Eli Roth = *****

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:05:08 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Saw it, absolutely loved it, can't wait to own it, talked about it for days to my girlfriends dismay. It will be in my movie review thread when I do a full review for my favorite movies of 2009. (So far it is my favorite movie of 2009)

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Saw it, enjoyed, wasn't amazed but thought it was very good. Definitely a star-making performance by Waltz, who really was the main character and star of the movie.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I absolutely loved it.
Was just such a fun ride the whole way through and all of Tarantino's usual devices made it such an enjoyable movie.
Recommend it highly.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Haven't been to the movies since 1998.  So Brat Pitt beats up Hitler, didn't Tom Cruise just do that a couple of months ago?  I can see the next movie coming out already:Johnny Depp beats up Hitler.   

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Haven't been to the movies since 1998.  So Brat Pitt beats up Hitler, didn't Tom Cruise just do that a couple of months ago?  I can see the next movie coming out already:Johnny Depp beats up Hitler.   

Ummm, Tom Cruise tried beating, errrr BLOWING up Hitler and failed!
Yup

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

compared to inglourious basterds, valkyrie can't even be called a movie.

that's how much better inglourious basterds is.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds, but it has zero pretension of being an historically correct movie, whereas Valkyrie did it's best to do just that.  Apples and oranges.

Looking forward to seeing this one
Yup

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Not a big movie goer and had never seen a tarantino flick, but this movie was AMAZING.  It had it all: action, comedy, suspense.  Great flick.  I thought the acting was great and, I don't know the name of the actor, but I'm assuming the
waltz guy ya'll are talking about is the villain, was great.  I couldn't get enough of him.  Can't wait to see it again.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:17 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Not a big movie goer and had never seen a tarantino flick, but this movie was AMAZING.  It had it all: action, comedy, suspense.  Great flick.  I thought the acting was great and, I don't know the name of the actor, but I'm assuming the
waltz guy ya'll are talking about is the villain, was great.  I couldn't get enough of him.  Can't wait to see it again.

That good, eh? I'm not much of a movie guy myself. I only have a select few movies that I've enjoyed watching and it takes a lot for me to even crack a smile when I'm watching a movie. Regardless, I pretty sure I'm going to see this tomorrow. The trailer even made me chuckle, so that's probably a good sign.

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds, but it has zero pretension of being an historically correct movie, whereas Valkyrie did it's best to do just that.  Apples and oranges.

Looking forward to seeing this one

Basterds has absolutely no pretension of historical accurancy; I've heard Tarantino describe it as his interpretation of a spaghetti Western, just set in WWII.  Cannot *WAIT* to see this movie, I've been dying to watch it since the first trailers were released last winter.  We're finally arranged babysitting for the evening, but have a wedding reception to sneak out of a little early first.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I saw this film, was really unimpressed.  It's quintessential tarantino, but at this point in his career he needs to be doing more than he did in his past 5 movies.

Kill Bill Lite in Nazi Germany.

***************************SPOILER******************************

And I'm sorry, but the two diverging stories were ridiculous.  The Jewish woman who owned the movie theater and the basterds had nothing to do with each other at all, the stories never intersected and only briefly brushed up against each other. 

****************************SPOILER******************************

The dialogue of course was great, but the plot was contrived and barely advanced.  No twist, no surprise, a bare minimum of character development, and the worst part?

NOT EVEN THAT MUCH VIOLENCE!  I could forgive all my qualms if there was some good action in the film, but really there was more time spent watching people play bar games than there was fighting.

I give it 2 out of 5 Schupacs.

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I thought it was pretty good.  Slow in a lot of parts, but I don't mind slow movies.  I definitely found it interesting and well shot, and the main villain is great.

That being said, I was surprised to see how much a lot of folks in this thread adored the film.  I'd put it in the "good but not great" category; I think this ranks a tier below Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions