Author Topic: Off-season targets?  (Read 21417 times)

Re: Off-season targets?
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2020, 04:25:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hard pass on Griffin..his history of injuries scares me, esp knees...plus what is his salary?? Be hard to take that on esp when Tatum is due for a big raise after next season
2020/21: $36,810,996    
2021/22: $38,957,028 (player option)

Assuming he picks up his option, our tax bill would explode through the roof in 2021/22. Not my money of course, but I bet Danny wouldn't pull the trigger.
Yeah, and given the issues people have with what we pay Hayward despite his injury concerns I can only imagine the whipping Griffin would cop around here
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
UFAs Tristan Thompson, Jordan Clarkson and Jeff Green.

Veterans who can really play and immediately contribute. Thompson and Clarkson are still young. Tristan could really help in rebounding, defense and inside scoring. This holds true in Green's case plus he remains a very good 3-and-D guy which he did very well in Houston. Clarkson at 6'4" runs plays well, full of confidence on his shot (inside and out), very quick, hustles, knows how to pass in open court and even in heavy traffic inside, can penetrate and has respectable one on one offensive game.

They could really instantly help coming from the bench.

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
UFAs Tristan Thompson, Jordan Clarkson and Jeff Green.

Veterans who can really play and immediately contribute. Thompson and Clarkson are still young. Tristan could really help in rebounding, defense and inside scoring. This holds true in Green's case plus he remains a very good 3-and-D guy which he did very well in Houston. Clarkson at 6'4" runs plays well, full of confidence on his shot (inside and out), very quick, hustles, knows how to pass in open court and even in heavy traffic inside, can penetrate and has respectable one on one offensive game.

They could really instantly help coming from the bench.
I'd be really excited if we managed to sign Uncle Jeff on a minimum deal, he was amazing for the Rockets in that 3 and D role.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Hard pass on Griffin..his history of injuries scares me, esp knees...plus what is his salary?? Be hard to take that on esp when Tatum is due for a big raise after next season
2020/21: $36,595,996    
2021/22: $38,957,028 (player option)

Assuming he picks up his option, our tax bill would explode through the roof in 2021/22. Not my money of course, but I bet Danny wouldn't pull the trigger.

This trade would likely involve sending out Hayward at about $34M so the first year is more or less off set.  Yes, the second year is an issue especially since we have to pay Tatum.  It is tough to add about $39M (you have to assume he will pick up his option).  It is an all in deal.  I initially offered this idea in response to the interest expressed in Drummond.  He has a player option for 2020/21 at about $29M.  It is tough.  All the even decent bigs are big cap hits.

I wonder if Drummond will opt out (or not pick up the option).  If he picks up the option, he is likely stuck in Cleveland or traded.  If he hits the market, he probably won't get $29M and will be limited by what teams have money (there are not all that many).  Maybe he opts out and tries to sign and trade.  That might allow him to end up in a better place albeit at less money.

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The more I think of all the trade options that have been discussed, Turner/Oladipo, Hield, Drummond, Griffin, there are risks/issues with all of them.  I definitely don't want Tristan Thompson or Jeff Green.  I am starting to come around to running things back with minor changes.  The one exception I would consider is if Ben Simmons ends up available (I actually doubt he will).

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The more I think of all the trade options that have been discussed, Turner/Oladipo, Hield, Drummond, Griffin, there are risks/issues with all of them.  I definitely don't want Tristan Thompson or Jeff Green.  I am starting to come around to running things back with minor changes.  The one exception I would consider is if Ben Simmons ends up available (I actually doubt he will).

Out of curiosity, what would you propose for a trade for Ben Simmons?

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Potentially interesting trade targets:

Paul George(?)
Kristaps Porzingis
Pascal Siakam
Bradley Beal
Otto Porter
Steven Adams
Jrue Holiday
Nikola Vucevic
Rudy Gobert
Buddy Hield
LaMarcus Aldridge
Victor Oladipo
Zach LaVine
Aaron Gordon
Myles Turner
Dennis Schröder
Jonas Valanciunas
Jusuf Nurkic
Maxi Kleber
Derrick Rose
Nemanja Bjelica
Lauri Markkanen
Wendell Carter
Richaun Holmes
Derrick White

Interesting affordable free agents:

Tristan Thompson
Mason Plumlee
Moe Harkless
E'Twaun Moore
DJ Augustin
Aron Baynes
Alex Len
Jeff Green
Isaiah Thomas
Alec Burks
Kyle O'Quinn
Noah Vonleh
Nerlens Noel
Emmanuel Mudiay
Pat Connaughton

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

In general I'm all for running it back with minor additions (a big and a bench shooter/scorer; one with the mini-MLE, the other with a small trade using guys like Poirier/Semi, and a pick) ...but I've also been a huge Oladipo fan since he came into the league.

If Oladipo/Turner for Hayward was on the table, I would take it. I'm not entirely sure if that's for basketball reasons or because I want a Celtics Oladipo jersey, though  :-\
I'm bitter.

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

There was another thread that focused on the Sixers but it essentially comes down to Kemba for Simmons.  I even had  3-way with Indy where Indy got Hayward, Philly got Turner and we got McDermott and Richardson.  I can't remember how that worked exactly.  But it would have to start with Kemba and Simmons.

Then our core line up is:

Smart-Brown-Tatum-Simmons-Theis (or other big)

This makes us longer at nearly every position over Walker-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Theis.

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

In general I'm all for running it back with minor additions (a big and a bench shooter/scorer; one with the mini-MLE, the other with a small trade using guys like Poirier/Semi, and a pick) ...but I've also been a huge Oladipo fan since he came into the league.

If Oladipo/Turner for Hayward was on the table, I would take it. I'm not entirely sure if that's for basketball reasons or because I want a Celtics Oladipo jersey, though  :-\
I would do that trade but most of the actual scenarios presented included Romeo Langford and some firsts from us.  If we could get Turner and Oladipo for Hayward alone, that is a trade I would do.  I think it would take more to get Indy to do it.

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

There was another thread that focused on the Sixers but it essentially comes down to Kemba for Simmons.  I even had  3-way with Indy where Indy got Hayward, Philly got Turner and we got McDermott and Richardson.  I can't remember how that worked exactly.  But it would have to start with Kemba and Simmons.

This makes us longer at nearly every position over Walker-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Theis.

Why would Philly trade one of the premier players in the league, for an undersized PG, with knee concerns, and who has no clue on how to operate against a zone defense? The only way Philly evens thinks about this trade is if Doc Rivers is their new GM.

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Why would Philly trade one of the premier players in the league, for an undersized PG, with knee concerns, and who has no clue on how to operate against a zone defense? The only way Philly evens thinks about this trade is if Doc Rivers is their new GM.

Sometimes teams after a very disappointing season decide to shake things up.  Embiid and Simmons have not done that well together.  Kemba Walker's style is a better fit next to Embiid and he is a 4-time all star.   I think it is unlikely that Philly would trade Simmons but if they do, a deal starting with Kemba is a pretty good deal.

We could expand the deal to include Hayward and Horford to make it better for Philly (let them off the hook with Horford and let them really start over).  Point is, if Philly isn't interested in trading Simmons, so be it, but if they are, I would hope we would make run at it and we could make a pretty good offer.

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2020, 02:57:17 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I would do that trade but most of the actual scenarios presented included Romeo Langford and some firsts from us.  If we could get Turner and Oladipo for Hayward alone, that is a trade I would do.  I think it would take more to get Indy to do it.

It would definitely take more than just Hayward, but at that point it's more filler than substance ("substance" in this case being a major member of our rotation like Smart). I would probably throw in Langford and the two later firsts this year, if they wanted #14 or a future pick that might be a problem (especially since Oladipo is a free agent next summer)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2020, 03:00:22 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Sometimes teams after a very disappointing season decide to shake things up.  Embiid and Simmons have not done that well together.  Kemba Walker's style is a better fit next to Embiid and he is a 4-time all star.   I think it is unlikely that Philly would trade Simmons but if they do, a deal starting with Kemba is a pretty good deal.

We could expand the deal to include Hayward and Horford to make it better for Philly (let them off the hook with Horford and let them really start over).  Point is, if Philly isn't interested in trading Simmons, so be it, but if they are, I would hope we would make run at it and we could make a pretty good offer.

Yeah, Walker + Hayward + picks for Simmons + Horford would be a basis for a potential deal.
However I think Philly will initially ask for Tatum (while knowing that he won't be included) and then demand that at least Brown (and/or Smart) would be included.

Walker may have been an All Star but being at the wrong side of 30 I really don't think Philly would accept him as the main piece in a trade for Simmons (even if we sweeten the deal with picks/rookies).

Though I do admit that there aren't many options out there to get equal value (young All Star), Philadelphia can always call Washington for Bradley Beal.

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2020, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What do people think about trying to get Jonas Valanciunas? He doesn't really fit the age profile of their core of Morant, Jackson & Clarke. I love his game. Big, strong as an ox, great rebounder, can score from all 3 levels now, and he's a better defender than he's given credit for. He's not overly quick, but he's smart and puts his 7'6" wingspan to great use bothering shots.

Could this get it done:
https://tradenba.com/trades/JkC-txpcP

It removes our pseudo-logjam at centre, getting rid of 2 guys best-suited to bench big roles and bringing in a legitimate starter level big man. Grizz get their pick back and some cap flexibility with 3 expirings.

I would be all aboard this. He's a cheaper alternative to guys like Vucevic or Turner, and I think he's genuinely better than Turner.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)