Author Topic: Off-season targets?  (Read 21647 times)

Re: Off-season targets?
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 02:22:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Andre Drummond should be the target.
How, and more importantly why? Drummond is a fantastic rebounder, but he's a complete non-shooter, not very good at passing, and isn't as good a defender as he should be, despite some gaudy stats.

Embiid also owns him

Theis
Kanter (assuming he opts in)
Langford
Porier
Both Williams
Semi
Green
Edwards

Would match the salary, for the 1 year rental. Fill out the roster with veterans with playoff experience and try to get Theis back after his team option is not picked up. Go for it 1 more year with Hayward, Drummond and Walker on the books, if it doesn't end it a title. Let Drummond and Hayward walk.
When has a 9 for 1 trade ever, in the history of the NBA happened? That would give the Cavs a 19-man roster.

This leaves us with absolutely zero bench, which was one of our biggest weaknesses this playoff run. It also makes absolutely no sense for Cleveland, as they'd have to cut half their dang team
Funnily enough, I'd strongly consider that deal if I were the Cavs. Getting 3 prospects in Romeo, Timelord and Grant should be an enticing opportunity for them. Drummond ain't worth 3 prospects. I'd then just cut Poirier + Green + Semi (all expiring contracts). Theis + Kanter should be tradable for cap relief + future pick(s). Worst case scenario, I'd cut Kanter as well.

Having said that, I would never do this deal for the C's. Imo, it would be a massive overpay.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:46:42 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 02:27:06 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
double post

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2020, 08:22:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wood

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2020, 09:23:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Wood

Detroit love him. Would take a lot to pry him away..

EDIT: Free agent. No cap space no?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2020, 11:28:54 PM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
Andre Drummond should be the target.
How, and more importantly why? Drummond is a fantastic rebounder, but he's a complete non-shooter, not very good at passing, and isn't as good a defender as he should be, despite some gaudy stats.

Embiid also owns him

Theis
Kanter (assuming he opts in)
Langford
Porier
Both Williams
Semi
Green
Edwards

Would match the salary, for the 1 year rental. Fill out the roster with veterans with playoff experience and try to get Theis back after his team option is not picked up. Go for it 1 more year with Hayward, Drummond and Walker on the books, if it doesn't end it a title. Let Drummond and Hayward walk.
When has a 9 for 1 trade ever, in the history of the NBA happened? That would give the Cavs a 19-man roster.

This leaves us with absolutely zero bench, which was one of our biggest weaknesses this playoff run. It also makes absolutely no sense for Cleveland, as they'd have to cut half their dang team

This roster should have been filled out with veterans with playoff experience, not 6 low to mid range rookie prospects. It’s unbelievable to me the amount of blame that Brad Stevens has gotten for what Danny Ainge did. That said, maybe Drummond isn’t the answer, but it’s a roster compression type move like this that I would support. Is this scenario Detroit would not exercise the team option on many of those players, leaving the Celtics the ability to resign them. So bringing back Theis is an option. Theis would be an UFA.

The more I look around the more I like Myles Turner for his defense and shot blocking. Plus he’s still young at 24. Use some of the players above in a deal for him instead.

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2020, 12:24:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Isn’t drummond a good passer tho? If not for his ridiculous salary and his questionable work ethic, I think he’d be a good fit.

I remember a time when rookie (or 2nd year?) drummond could defend out on the perimeter and not look like Kanter. I think that guy exists somewhere inside him but we haven’t seen that guy in a while. Maybe it’s all the losing that formed bad habits.
- LilRip

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2020, 07:24:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I would prefer Blake Griffin to Drummond.  Getting either would require trading Hayward (there won't be any 9 for 1 trades).

Blake Griffin "when healthy" is exactly what the Celtics need, a skilled athletic big (he is 31).  The "when healthy" is a big if.  He has averaged around 62 games a season in his career and will be yet again coming off an injury.  1 year plus a player option left on the deal.

Hayward "when healthy" is a skilled wing who can score and make things happen for others.  He has his own "when healthy" concerns at age 30 and will likely be coming off an injury of one form or another for the rest of his career.  He has one year option left on his contract.

I feel there is more risk with Blake over Hayward but also more upside and more upside at a position of more need.  If he can hold up and run with our young guns for a couple of seasons, it could make a big difference.  In 2018/19 for Detroit, he was 24.5/7.5 over 75 games and 35.0 min/gm.

It would be a big risk, but I prefer it to Drummond.

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
I would prefer Blake Griffin to Drummond.  Getting either would require trading Hayward (there won't be any 9 for 1 trades).

Blake Griffin "when healthy" is exactly what the Celtics need, a skilled athletic big (he is 31).  The "when healthy" is a big if.  He has averaged around 62 games a season in his career and will be yet again coming off an injury.  1 year plus a player option left on the deal.

Hayward "when healthy" is a skilled wing who can score and make things happen for others.  He has his own "when healthy" concerns at age 30 and will likely be coming off an injury of one form or another for the rest of his career.  He has one year option left on his contract.

I feel there is more risk with Blake over Hayward but also more upside and more upside at a position of more need.  If he can hold up and run with our young guns for a couple of seasons, it could make a big difference.  In 2018/19 for Detroit, he was 24.5/7.5 over 75 games and 35.0 min/gm.

Interesting idea too. At this stage in his career, can Blake play the 5? Definitely a good passer. He will thrive in the CBS system. But yeah, can we play Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Blake?

- LilRip

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2020, 07:48:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Huge risk given his injury-prone status, but he's super talented. Great passing big.

I don't think he's good enough defensively to play the 5 here though. Doubt Stevens nor Ainge would be keen
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2020, 08:02:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Interesting idea too. At this stage in his career, can Blake play the 5? Definitely a good passer. He will thrive in the CBS system. But yeah, can we play Kemba-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Blake?

We played that line up but with Theis a lot plus other combinations where Hayward was in for either Brown or Tatum but with Theis the only real big.  It was a very regular line up last season per 82games.  I am not saying I wouldn't like more size, I am just saying Blake would be an upgrade over Theis to run with that type of line up and preferable to me over Drummond.

And in the cases where we would play with two Bigs, having Blake Griffin as one of the bigs allows us to keep a lot more scoring and skill on the floor over our current options.  For example, start with Kemba-Brown-Tatum-Griffin-Theis and then mix and match from there with Smart off the bench.

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

We played that line up but with Theis a lot plus other combinations where Hayward was in for either Brown or Tatum but with Theis the only real big.  It was a very regular line up last season per 82games.  I am not saying I wouldn't like more size, I am just saying Blake would be an upgrade over Theis to run with that type of line up and preferable to me over Drummond.

And in the cases where we would play with two Bigs, having Blake Griffin as one of the bigs allows us to keep a lot more scoring and skill on the floor over our current options.  For example, start with Kemba-Brown-Tatum-Griffin-Theis and then mix and match from there with Smart off the bench.

Yes but Theis plays like a 5. And as much as he gets bullied in the post, Theis actually did decent as a rim protector. Rebounding aside, isnt Blake weak on D?

Nonetheless, it’s still an interesting proposition for me. And on the surface, seems like a fair enough proposition. It’s trading a former all star for a former all star. Both on short contracts.

I guess the other thing to consider is: how is Blake as a teammate? Because I haven’t read good things but maybe his stint with the Pistons has changed him vs who he was with the Clips

- LilRip

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Yes but Theis plays like a 5. And as much as he gets bullied in the post, Theis actually did decent as a rim protector. Rebounding aside, isnt Blake weak on D?

Nonetheless, it’s still an interesting proposition for me. And on the surface, seems like a fair enough proposition. It’s trading a former all star for a former all star. Both on short contracts.

I guess the other thing to consider is: how is Blake as a teammate? Because I haven’t read good things but maybe his stint with the Pistons has changed him vs who he was with the Clips
there is no D in blake. honestly, the celtics do not need someone with the injury history of griffin, let alone his lack of defense.

griffin has a career long history of injures, many to his knees. hayward's injuries are more freak injuries than a long-term reoccuring problem.

https://theundefeated.com/features/blake-griffin-injury-raises-age-old-question-are-the-clippers-cursed/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hard pass on Griffin..his history of injuries scares me, esp knees...plus what is his salary?? Be hard to take that on esp when Tatum is due for a big raise after next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Look No Further..

He's Ready!!

*sippin*

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2020, 03:54:34 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Hard pass on Griffin..his history of injuries scares me, esp knees...plus what is his salary?? Be hard to take that on esp when Tatum is due for a big raise after next season
2020/21: $36,595,996    
2021/22: $38,957,028 (player option)

Assuming he picks up his option, our tax bill would explode through the roof in 2021/22. Not my money of course, but I bet Danny wouldn't pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:24:39 AM by Jvalin »