Author Topic: Super Bowl LII: NE vs. PHI  (Read 42324 times)

Re: Super Bowl LII: NE vs. PHI
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/details-about-malcolm-butler-situation-starting-emerge

However bad that week of practice was, it can't be worse than what Bademosi gave them. Still doesn't make any sense.

What do you think of the narrative that benching Butler crushed the morale of the defense? If so, that could explain why they weren't able to stop the Eagles at all last night.
I don't know about the morale, but I'm shocked that Patricia, who was announced as the Lions HC the day after the SB, didn't just put Butler in when it was clear that the D needed someone, anyone to make a play.
That would have been the boldest of bold moves to tell Bill Belichick to shove it in the middle of the Super Bowl.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/details-about-malcolm-butler-situation-starting-emerge

However bad that week of practice was, it can't be worse than what Bademosi gave them. Still doesn't make any sense.

What do you think of the narrative that benching Butler crushed the morale of the defense? If so, that could explain why they weren't able to stop the Eagles at all last night.
I don't know about the morale, but I'm shocked that Patricia, who was announced as the Lions HC the day after the SB, didn't just put Butler in when it was clear that the D needed someone, anyone to make a play.
That would have been the boldest of bold moves to tell Bill Belichick to shove it in the middle of the Super Bowl.
And he's going to do what? Boot Patricia from the game? Call the Lions and complain? I wish Patricia had the stones to hold Bill responsible to his crap and tell him that he'd like to win the SuperBowl instead. That would have been awesome.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

And he's going to do what? Boot Patricia from the game? Call the Lions and complain? I wish Patricia had the stones to hold Bill responsible to his crap and tell him that he'd like to win the SuperBowl instead. That would have been awesome.

or maybe Patricia went along with it so Butler signs with the Lions next season (jk)

« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

You can't just tell your head coach to **** off in the middle of the SB. He overrules you all day long. You have to do your job.

If you think sitting Butler might have hurt the defenses cohesiveness, just wait and see what the head coach and defensive coordinator with conflicting instructions would do.

It's Patricia's job to question and push Bill Belichick on these decisions, but in no world would it be appropriate to tell him to shove it. This isnt the movies.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

You can't just tell your head coach to **** off in the middle of the SB. He overrules you all day long. You have to do your job.

If you think sitting Butler might have hurt the defenses cohesiveness, just wait and see what the head coach and defensive coordinator with conflicting instructions would do.

It's Patricia's job to question and push Bill Belichick on these decisions, but in no world would it be appropriate to tell him to shove it. This isnt the movies.

I think I agree. Belichick is the head coach and has proven that he should get the last call. The problem with that responsibility is that he's to blame when they lose. This loss is on him for not getting the defense prepared. He is also the GM, so he is responsible for a defense lacking talent and depth.

I'm trying to hold off on the Butler gossip until we know something. It doesn't look pretty though.

« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I though Patricia's job was to run the defense. He didn't do his job very well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #306 on: February 05, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm trying to hold off on the Butler gossip until we know something. It doesn't look pretty though.
Maybe not pretty. But Chandler Jones played in a playoff game after he turned up in a police station all messed up by synthetic marijuana.

I'm sure the remaining 51 Patriots players learned a great lesson yesterday while watching Johnson Bademosi p--- away their SB chances because he can't make an open field tackle.

« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Maybe not pretty. But Chandler Jones played in a playoff game after he turned up in a police station all messed up by synthetic marijuana.

I'm sure the remaining 51 Patriots players learned a great lesson yesterday while watching Johnson Bademosi p--- away their SB chances because he can't make an open field tackle.

One of two lessons:

1) Keep your head down and do what the coaching staff tells you to do.

or

2) Belichick is a ****head and stubborn moves generally are not the best ones.

I'm hoping most of the players are taking the first lesson.

« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Run the defense without overruling Belichick. Matt Patricia cannot and should not overrule Bill Belichick regardless of the scenario.

Bill is the head coach. He outranks Matt Patricia. It is really that simple.

« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

One of two lessons:

1) Keep your head down and do what the coaching staff tells you to do.

or

2) Belichick is a ****head and stubborn moves generally are not the best ones.

I'm hoping most of the players are taking the first lesson.
or

(3) Your hard work might not really matter because I'm prepared to throw away any game to send a "message".

« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Run the defense without overruling Belichick. Matt Patricia cannot and should not overrule Bill Belichick regardless of the scenario.

How about Brady? Does the OC outrank the player? How about the HC? Should the player never overrule the call from the sideline? Should they bench Brady if he does?

« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2018, 10:17:09 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

How about Brady? Does the OC outrank the player? How about the HC? Should the player never overrule the call from the sideline? Should they bench Brady if he does?

I think you know that Brady is a special player. He could have missed curfew 5 nights in a row and started the game.

« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I think you know that Brady is a special player. He could have missed curfew 5 nights in a row and started the game.
Of course. I always knew it was more of a "We did what we thought we could get away with" rather than "We did what we thought was best for the team".

But I'm telling you, having Butler in there over Bademosi and Richards sure looks pretty special right now. Brady can't cover Nelson Agholor even if he goes to bed one hour early every day.

« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Would you say, then, that BB didn't "do his job"? Because from my standpoint, it looks like he kinda didn't.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Would you say, then, that BB didn't "do his job"? Because from my standpoint, it looks like he kinda didn't.

I think Bill is very much responsible for this loss. He put an inferior defense together on paper, then had an inferior defensive gameplan. If Bill was average in this respect, the Pats prob. have 6 rings.