Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959704 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2325 on: August 07, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think a lot of actors and movies simply try to hard and fail.   This does not lead to a believable performance, in most cases.  Superhero movies are one of the easiest mediums, the source material, is not real, most of the fan base wants to like the movies and support their movies.   To blow it here, you have to be trying.

a professional film critic (and myself) carries significantly more weight than an average person in regards to what is considered a "quality" film

This was true, at one time but with the internet, no longer.   I think they are no longer needed and should go the way of the dodo.   Usually what the critics say is a good movie, is boring and artsy.  What makes a good movie is not always an entertaining movie nor a successful movie.   The same is true of music.

Get out and see the movie for yourself, instead of reading something to tell you how to think about.   Try it, I know it is hard for some.
Critics have a purpose. They are just unbiased people with diverse tastes who generally understand the language of film and what is considered quality.  They usually are forced to watch every major release (regardless of their personal taste) as part of their job.  Looking at sites like metacritic to see critical consensus is the only way we have of getting an idea of how broadly appealing a film is to a general audience.  This is because "audience scores" are inherently flawed and useless, but explaining that would require a separate post. 

By all means, see a movie and make up your own mind.  But I find metacritic scores to be useful as a quick-glance on which movies I should consider seeing.  Obviously, it's not going to dissuade me from seeing a big release, or I would have avoided "Suicide Squad" based on the completely accurate terrible reviews from critics.

The whole "critics are just high brow snobs who don't like fun movies" myth was basically flushed down the toilet when "Mad Max: Fury Road" received widespread critical acclaim on par with the best of the best Oscar bait.

If you grabbed 1000 random people who frequently watch movies, stuck them in a theater, and asked them to review a movie like "Suicide Squad", their consensus opinion will closely match that of professional critics.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:14:43 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2326 on: August 08, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do think critics play favourites. Miller is considered some kind of genius. Mad max barely had any dialogue . If was a 2 hour chase/ crash Derby. Nice visuals but I was a bit bored and didn't care about the lead character. Force Awakens was no masterpiece but for mad max to be considered for an Oscar instead of even the Star Wars film just seemed like playing favorites from the peeps who pick Oscar nominees as well.

« Reply #2327 on: August 08, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Another one for me is " the fighter " over " warrior" from 2011. To me warrior was a far better movie. But not much hype.

« Reply #2328 on: August 08, 2016, 04:49:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Suicide Squad is pulling a 76% audience rating and is pulling in a ton of money. Could be another situation where a movie that is technically terrible, but still entertaining to the right audience. A lot of Adam Sandler movies are that way.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2329 on: August 08, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Another one for me is " the fighter " over " warrior" from 2011. To me warrior was a far better movie. But not much hype.
I loved both!

Tom Hardy and Christian Bale are my two favorite actors. If I had to pick Id probably pick The Fighter.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2330 on: August 08, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Suicide Squad is pulling a 76% audience rating and is pulling in a ton of money. Could be another situation where a movie that is technically terrible, but still entertaining to the right audience. A lot of Adam Sandler movies are that way.
No.  It's minimally entertaining at best.  If this had been the first movie you'd seen in 20 years, you might find the generic CGI action semi-entertaining.  Beyond that, it's a bore.   That audience score is nonsense.  All audience scores are completely useless for a variety of reasons.   It's best to ignore them.  Look to critical consensus for an idea of how appealing the movie is to a broad audience.

If you got 1000 random people, forced them to sit through this, and asked them to review the movie, I'd guess it would have something like 26%.

« Reply #2331 on: August 08, 2016, 06:50:26 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I just treat he'd " The Burbs" with Tom Hanks. Dude does some really good demotic work but I miss the silly Tom Hanks. Very quotable flick. Lotta laughs.

« Reply #2332 on: August 08, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Sorry guys. I gotta check before I post.

« Reply #2333 on: August 08, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
No.  It's minimally entertaining at best.  If this had been the first movie you'd seen in 20 years, you might find the generic CGI action semi-entertaining.  Beyond that, it's a bore.   That audience score is nonsense.  All audience scores are completely useless for a variety of reasons.   It's best to ignore them.  Look to critical consensus for an idea of how appealing the movie is to a broad audience.

If you got 1000 random people, forced them to sit through this, and asked them to review the movie, I'd guess it would have something like 26%.

Well I'm not too sure about that.  We have a group of artist and toy sellers that go to the movie to promote local shows and our selves set up at the movies. I was only there Thurs and Firday, and saw the movie on Thurs. Good amount of laughter during the showing I was at, and some even clapped once it was over. I was watching people come out and on the most they had smiles on their faces talking about the movie. I could see a 70 to 80% of people that liked it. I probably talked to a bit over 100 people who came over to my table and maybe a handful didn't like it, most thought it was good but had it's issues, and some loved it.

I usually make a print on the movie we are setting up for. Never sold more than 5 for a weekend. I had a Harley Quinn print made up, I did 10 thinking it would be fine, sold 8 for the one showing they had. Printed up 20 for Friday, and sold 15. Most of the sales were after the movie. I  did a Rey print for Star Wars and a Batman/Superman/WonderWoman print for their respected shows and I double both combined for Suicide Squad.

The other two guys said they had mostly positive responses with who they were talking to,( yes some were the same), but we saw it together, and really liked it with it's flaws, and even bounced in for the last 20 mins of the last showing on Firday because we missed the mid credit scene and it was still fun to watch knowing what was going to happen.

It was good not great, loved the characters for the most part. I think they have something solid to jump off of for the sequel. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:29:54 PM by Sketch5 »

« Reply #2334 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Well thats a bunch of BS. We have a croup of artist and toy sellers that go to the movie to promote local shows and our selves set up at the movies. I was only there Thurs and Firday, and saw the movie on Thurs. Good amount of laughter during the showing I was at, and some even clapped once it was over. I was watching people come out and on the most they had smiles on their faces talking about the movie. I could see a 70 to 80% of people that liked it. I probably talked to a bit over 100 people who came over to my table and maybe a handful didn't like it, most thought it was good but had it's issues, and some loved it.

I usually make a print on the movie we are setting up for. Never sold more than 5 for a weekend. I had a Harley Quinn print made up, I did 10 thinking it would be fine, sold 8 for the one showing they had. Printed up 20 for Friday, and sold 15. Most of the sales were after the movie. I  did a Rey print for Star Wars and a Batman/Superman/WonderWoman print for their respected shows and I double both combined for Suicide Squad.

The other two guys said they had mostly positive responses with who they were talking to,( yes some were the same), but we saw it together, and really liked it with it's flaws, and even bounced in for the last 20 mins of the last showing on Firday because we missed the mid credit scene and it was still fun to watch knowing what was going to happen.

It was good not great, loved the characters for the most part. I think they have something solid to jump off of for the sequel.
sounds about right. A movie can be a "garbage film" and still be entertaining.

TP.

« Reply #2335 on: August 08, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Well thats a bunch of BS. We have a croup of artist and toy sellers that go to the movie to promote local shows and our selves set up at the movies. I was only there Thurs and Firday, and saw the movie on Thurs. Good amount of laughter during the showing I was at, and some even clapped once it was over. I was watching people come out and on the most they had smiles on their faces talking about the movie. I could see a 70 to 80% of people that liked it. I probably talked to a bit over 100 people who came over to my table and maybe a handful didn't like it, most thought it was good but had it's issues, and some loved it.

sounds about right. A movie can be a "garbage film" and still be entertaining.

TP.

Actually, it's not right.   It sounds like Sketch5 went with a biased group of toy sellers who were interested enough in this film to see it opening weekend... and even then only 70% of them enjoyed the film (based on Sketch5's guesstimate).

Now consider what a general audience would think of it?   26% would enjoy it (based on the RT consensus).   If everyone scored it from 1-100 and they averaged out the score, it would end up about 40 out of 100 (based on the metacritic consensus).   

That said, a movie can absolutely be a "garbage film" and still be entertaining.  This wasn't really one of them, though.   Most people will think it sucks and will find the whole ordeal boring and aggravating.

« Reply #2336 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When I heard that the name of a film was going to be 'Suicide Squad', I thought that it was going to be about the einsatzgruppen, or something.  Never in a million years would I have linked such a movie with Superman, or whatever it's supposed to be.  I've never followed any of those series, whether on film or TV, never mind comic books :-\, so yeah, not interested.  And LarBrd33, the girl's name is Margot Robbie.  Surely you remember her from The Wolf of Wall Street, right ;), lol ;D?

« Reply #2337 on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
When I heard that the name of a film was going to be 'Suicide Squad', I thought that it was going to be about the einsatzgruppen, or something.  Never in a million years would I have linked such a movie with Superman, or whatever it's supposed to be.  I've never followed any of those series, whether on film or TV, never mind comic books :-\, so yeah, not interested.  And LarBrd33, the girl's name is Margot Robbie.  Surely you remember her from The Wolf of Wall Street, right ;), lol ;D?

Yeah I totally remember.   Her role in that was a less degrading than this one - in spite of the fact she spent most of "Wolf of Wall Street" as a naked play thing.    At least in that one, her character had some development and had an arc. 

« Reply #2338 on: August 08, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Jason Bourne - About 15 minutes in, a ton of stuff had been happening and I realized I didn't know what any of it meant and I didn't care at all. The rest of the movie played out about the same. There was some good acting in this movie but not a single memorable ation sequence.

Ghostbusters - It's impossible to not compare it to the original, where is pales. But as just another comedy, it's really enjoyable.

I just don't know why modern movies insist on cramming in so much plot and then rushing through it. Comedies and action flicks, especially, should have way less complicated plots than they've had in recent years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2339 on: August 08, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Jason Bourne - About 15 minutes in, a ton of stuff had been happening and I realized I didn't know what any of it meant and I didn't care at all. The rest of the movie played out about the same. There was some good acting in this movie but not a single memorable ation sequence.

Ghostbusters - It's impossible to not compare it to the original, where is pales. But as just another comedy, it's really enjoyable.

I just don't know why modern movies insist on cramming in so much plot and then rushing through it. Comedies and action flicks, especially, should have way less complicated plots than they've had in recent years.
I've had multiple people now tell me that Jason Bourne is pretty bad.  One of my friends who also was conned into paying to see "Suicide Squad" even went as far as to say that while "Suicide Squad" most definitely was garbage, Jason Bourne was even worse.   I find that hard to believe, but maybe so.