Author Topic: Parenting philosophy  (Read 3321 times)

Parenting philosophy
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Soooo...what's a good age to talk to kids about drugs? I'm pretty sure my first introduction came to it right after Len Bias died. I assume 6 or 7 is good.

Re: Parenting philosophy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »

Kiorrik

Right after the first time they catch you?

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:38:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Probably a different age for different kids.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Soooo...what's a good age to talk to kids about drugs? I'm pretty sure my first introduction came to it right after Len Bias died. I assume 6 or 7 is good.
Well, it's not really a one-time sit-down thing (like "The Talk" about sex that our parents give as at some time), but more of an ongoing thing that needs regular visiting to keep reinforcing the lesson as things/situations/problems arise.

I think children are much mopre sophisticated these days and exposed to things things much earlier that I was, especially via a much more liberal/relaxed media standard and mature video games that an older brother or sister might be playing while they watch, (or even participating in).

I'd say it clearly depends on the child and situation, and staying in tune with what they're being exposed to, and what kinds of things they're interested in or asking questions about.

Kids are much smarter and more sensitive to their environment than what we give them credit for at times, and IMHO, if they're old enough to understand the meaning of the words, then it's really never too early to start trying impress upon them the dangers of drugs and the people that try to influence them to try them.

I'd say wing it, and when you notice them acknowledging the subject in any way, then respond with the appropriate level of discussion. Always talk across to them, and not in an admonishing tone of voice, and not in a way that makes the subject seem like something they should not be thinking about or talking about, but with keen interest and understanding, and the seriousness it's afforded.

Just my view, of course, but as a dad with three grown kids, it seemed to work pretty well in my case, and I'm proud to say that all of them have (luckily) avoided many of the mistakes that their dad did not, and I'd like to think that it was at least in part to the things mentioned above.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

TP for the laugh.

This is coming from a non-parent so take it for what it's worth, but the earlier the better on everything. As soon as they can understand what your talking about start pounding in your values. A lot of kids will get exposed to drugs and sex before highschool so waste your time at your own peril.