Author Topic: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance  (Read 3979 times)

Re: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Despite the outcome, I have defended and will continue to defend the James Young pick.  Young was a high upside guy - top 10 recruit coming out of high school, arguably Kentucky's most consistent player on a team that played in the title game.  There were reasons for optimism.   Hood has turned out better, but we didn't know that was going to be the case at the time the pick was made.  That's the risk of upside picks - sometimes you miss.  It's easy to judge draft picks when you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Also, how is it "missing out on Nance" when he was selected before our pick?  Was Danny supposed to hold the Lakers at gunpoint and make them pick somebody else?  Or was he supposed to trade extra assets to move up and select a guy who is just decent?

That is the way I saw it. I believed Young had the immense potential and I definitely think as Danny said himself, "he was a project with high reward but low risk." Most late first round lottery picks don't pan out, and agreed about the Nance. But Nance would've been a fan favorite, and I think he would've been better off being drafted by us personally, especially in Steven's offense.

I remember watching Young in college and thought he was slow and unathletic with not the best motor despite a feathery touch.  I never believed in his upside, and he didn’t seem to have that driving passion once in the pros.  It’s so hard to predict though.  Who would have thought Devin Booker would be as good as he is.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.

Agreed. I think picking Smart at 6 made it less likely to pick Harris, for some reason. Size maybe. But I loved him in college, thought he would be a really good guard. That time I got it right.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.

Yeah, to me Harris was the obvious pick. I never got the Young hype.

That said, half the guys I liked in that draft turned out to be busts. I was right on Nurkic, Harris, Capela and Hood.  I was off on Smart, Vonleh, Stauskas and Payne.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Yeah, to me Harris was the obvious pick. I never got the Young hype.

That said, half the guys I liked in that draft turned out to be busts. I was right on Nurkic, Harris, Capela and Hood.  I was off on Smart, Vonleh, Stauskas and Payne.

I wAnted hood or Harris too, but then I also wanted moultrie and perry jones 3.  I think you really have to use the eye test with these late picks...do these guys have the heart and desire to be great.  You could say DA did well with rozier I guess. It what a flop with olynyk...in fairness though KO is just soft, his skill set is nba transferable.  If only he had dirk like toughness.

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 07:18:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I want to hear from Celtics fans that knew a lot about the Greek Freak before he came to the NBA. During the draft, I remember being intrigued by him, but knew little about the big guy.

Nobody knew about Yannis.....

Nobody was interested n him till a Spanish team tried to sign him. Then a couple of first division teams started scouting him but it was a bit late.  It was impossible to judge his bball abilities and his athleticism  because of the level of the rest of the league. He was a tall agile extremely thin guy who couldn't make a basket further than the paint playing against mostly Sunday leaguers..... The level of the Greek A2 league is low.... I am mean seriously low!!!! I ve posted once a couple of youtube links with full games to judge it yourselves. If anyone wants to hurt his eyes i can post some links again .... I would advise against it though :)
The Celtics actually knew about him and scouted him.