Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 233003 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #480 on: April 19, 2019, 12:48:09 AM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
The second round is taking sooooooo long

Im so excited can't wait for these second round match ups every series will be sooooooo gooooood

« Reply #481 on: April 19, 2019, 12:48:11 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Spurs blowing out Nuggets.

Should've been up 3-0 after tonight
Denver shoots 52% overall and 52% from 3 and they lose by 10. 

« Reply #482 on: April 19, 2019, 01:02:23 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

At the time when I posted that Spurs were up by 20 in the middle of the 4th quarter, so garbage time points after haah.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #483 on: April 19, 2019, 01:17:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

At the time when I posted that Spurs were up by 20 in the middle of the 4th quarter, so garbage time points after haah.
I just wish I could remember who called me crazy for suggesting Denver might lose in the 1st round. 

« Reply #484 on: April 19, 2019, 01:21:00 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I just wish I could remember who called me crazy for suggesting Denver might lose in the 1st round.

I'm with ya. I think I had Denver getting swept tho lol. Though people are gonna call me crazy for having Houston beating Golden State in 6.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #485 on: April 19, 2019, 03:21:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Im so excited can't wait for these second round match ups every series will be sooooooo gooooood

I can. We will need a bit of luck to get through Milwaukee, and Marcus to get through Toronto.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #486 on: April 19, 2019, 06:59:03 AM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

I can. We will need a bit of luck to get through Milwaukee, and Marcus to get through Toronto.

We'll destroy the Bucks Mr.MVP can get his Bledsoe Middleton and the gang we will shut down.

« Reply #487 on: April 19, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Amazed at the TNT announcing crew just keeps hammering home how many games Embiid has missed this year and throughout his career. You almost never hear that stuff coming out of national announcing crews. It's usually all hype, hype, hype.
I've been pondering this. Are the Sixers better off moving Embiid instead of Simmons.  Embiid is clearly the better player and he is locked up long term so even with the shaky health I believe they could get more for him then they could for Simmons.  Perhaps then the Sixers can get better fitting parts around Simmons.  Just a thought
Makes sense. If they and the medical staff think Embiid might constantly be missing 20 games a year and be hard to keep healthy for the playoffs, now might be the best time to move on from him. If next year he misses another 20-25 games and is on a minutes restriction or hurt for the playoffs, hurting the team, the Sixers certainly wouldn't get what they would if they moved him this summer.

Would the Knicks trade their pick for Embiid to match him up with an incoming Durant? Would make more sense for the Knicks than Durant trying to train Zion on how to play championship quality NBA ball for a couple years.

Knicks build around Durant/Embiid and Sixers have Zion/Simmons/Butler/Harris to move forward with, though maybe Butler takes off if he feels he has to give shots to a rookie. Probably lose Butler so maybe that trade isn't so great.
If the Sixers are stupid enough to put Embiid on the market, Danny better be the first in line to make an offer. 

The Sixers ran Embiid into the ground (only missed 4 of their first 58 games).  65 games a season is plenty for Embiid and it will easily get the Sixers into the playoffs.  Kawhi has only played more than 66 games twice in his 8 seasons.  Don't see anyone suggesting he be put on the trade block.
Kawhi also has never had a fit problem with another potential superstar on his roster either.  If the Sixers think that Embiid and Simmons are fine together, then they don't need to move either one, but if they are ultimately going to have to decide between Embiid and Simmons, then they should probably just make that move this summer.  It is in that scenario that I'm talking about perhaps moving on from Embiid as opposed to Simmons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #488 on: April 19, 2019, 08:28:44 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I also thought Denver was a prime candidate to be upset but I wasn't too optimistic about SA beating them.  I was dubious SA would win on the road.  But after game 1, SA just has to win out at home.  The series should come down to if SA can win game 4. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #489 on: April 19, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Simmons dominated..at times I was not sure Butler was on court but he was.....lucky they win still but Nets are clearly outmatched.

Butler is an interesting case. He's an incredible worker and seems like he wants to win. He's also a selfish ballhog who can't do anything if he's not allowed to dribble the air out of the ball. But because he's a hard worker and a "true competitor" no one talks about how the only way he knows how to play the game is dominating the ball.

I think people often make connections in their heads even if they don't exist in reality. Butler works hard and plays great defense so he "plays the right way" but in reality, even though those first two things are true, he doesn't play well with a team and is selfish on offense.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Simmons dominated..at times I was not sure Butler was on court but he was.....lucky they win still but Nets are clearly outmatched.

Butler is an interesting case. He's an incredible worker and seems like he wants to win. He's also a selfish ballhog who can't do anything if he's not allowed to dribble the air out of the ball. But because he's a hard worker and a "true competitor" no one talks about how the only way he knows how to play the game is dominating the ball.

I think people often make connections in their heads even if they don't exist in reality. Butler works hard and plays great defense so he "plays the right way" but in reality, even though those first two things are true, he doesn't play well with a team and is selfish on offense.

You make a great point. Maybe he would be perfect on a team like GSW(would hope and pray a sign and trade with them does not happen with their big free agent ready to bolt) and he would definitely thrive with our team as well. I could see him doing well in a system like in San Antonio or with the Clippers as well. I guess we will find out after this season what he truly wants. I guess if they go far this year, it could sway him as well. A big upset vs. Raptors would change everything for that team and their mindset.

« Reply #491 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Amazed at the TNT announcing crew just keeps hammering home how many games Embiid has missed this year and throughout his career. You almost never hear that stuff coming out of national announcing crews. It's usually all hype, hype, hype.
I've been pondering this. Are the Sixers better off moving Embiid instead of Simmons.  Embiid is clearly the better player and he is locked up long term so even with the shaky health I believe they could get more for him then they could for Simmons.  Perhaps then the Sixers can get better fitting parts around Simmons.  Just a thought
Makes sense. If they and the medical staff think Embiid might constantly be missing 20 games a year and be hard to keep healthy for the playoffs, now might be the best time to move on from him. If next year he misses another 20-25 games and is on a minutes restriction or hurt for the playoffs, hurting the team, the Sixers certainly wouldn't get what they would if they moved him this summer.

Would the Knicks trade their pick for Embiid to match him up with an incoming Durant? Would make more sense for the Knicks than Durant trying to train Zion on how to play championship quality NBA ball for a couple years.

Knicks build around Durant/Embiid and Sixers have Zion/Simmons/Butler/Harris to move forward with, though maybe Butler takes off if he feels he has to give shots to a rookie. Probably lose Butler so maybe that trade isn't so great.
If the Sixers are stupid enough to put Embiid on the market, Danny better be the first in line to make an offer. 

The Sixers ran Embiid into the ground (only missed 4 of their first 58 games).  65 games a season is plenty for Embiid and it will easily get the Sixers into the playoffs.  Kawhi has only played more than 66 games twice in his 8 seasons.  Don't see anyone suggesting he be put on the trade block.
Kawhi also has never had a fit problem with another potential superstar on his roster either.  If the Sixers think that Embiid and Simmons are fine together, then they don't need to move either one, but if they are ultimately going to have to decide between Embiid and Simmons, then they should probably just make that move this summer.  It is in that scenario that I'm talking about perhaps moving on from Embiid as opposed to Simmons.
What "potential superstar" has Kawhi played with?  What star player has Kawhi played with that had the significant limitations that Simmons has?  Dudley was 100% correct that Simmons is great in transition but average in half court.  That's not a player you can build a championship team around if he doesn't significantly improve his game.  If he does improve it, the talk of fit issues with Embiid go away.   

The notion that Embiid and Simmons don't play well together is narrative in search of evidence.  Their starting lineup last year with Saric and Covington was dominant.  This year the numbers were solid with Chandler when he was healthy and are top notch after the Harris trade even though they've had the most roster turnover since the Process began. 

2019 Starting Lineups                                                             Min    Offrtg   Defrtg    Netrtg 
.J. Redick, .W. Chandler, .J. Butler, .J. Embiid, .B. Simmons      293    114.1    101.1     13.0
.J. Redick, .T. Harris, .J. Butler, .J. Embiid, .B. Simmons           161    119.0    101.4     17.6

2018 Starting Lineup
.J. Redick, .R. Covington, .J. Embiid, .D. Saric, .B. Simmons      601    113.6    92.6      21.0

When the Sixers won the last 9 games last season and looked so good, some Sixers fans talked about being better with Simmons running the show and Embiid off court.  Then they faced us and reality hit. 
Simmons should dominate the Nets because they are a mediocre team and have no one to guard him. Simmons isn't doing that against the Raptors, Bucks or us. 

If it is a choice between Embiid and Simmons, that's no choice at all unless the Sixers have some secret medical info that they think means Embiid will be out of the league within 5 years.     
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:26:50 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #492 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Simmons is the fit problem, not Embiid.  Simmons can't shoot. Kawhi is a great shooter. 

« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Simmons is the fit problem, not Embiid.  Simmons can't shoot. Kawhi is a great shooter.
Plenty of great players had shooting concerns.  Heck Giannis is a very bad shooter and yet the team was built around him and was the best team in basketball in the regular season.  Simmons is 6'10" and is almost impossible to guard in the paint, yet he can't play in the paint because of Embiid.  If the Sixers built their team around Simmons, much like the Bucks have with Giannis, I think they would be just fine and a real title contender year in and year out.  And let's be clear, there is no way I come anywhere close to bringing this up if Embiid didn't have significant health issues year after year.  He just can't stay on the court.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Do people believe the speculation embiid has degenerative arthritis?