Author Topic: This Is Why You Re-Sign Grant  (Read 3367 times)

This Is Why You Re-Sign Grant
« on: January 14, 2024, 06:02:23 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Orlando is exploring the trade market for Wendell Carter Jr.

Carter is making just over $13 million this season and has two years and $22.8 million remaining on his deal through 2025-26. The center has struggled with injuries for each of the last two seasons, missing 25 games last year and 26 games already this season.

———

Source: Marc Stein
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: This Is Why You Re-Sign Grant
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The difference is that Carter is a good player, while Grant is one of the worst players in the league.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 06:16:59 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
The difference is that Carter is a good player, while Grant is one of the worst players in the league.

Grant was a solid role player for us and there is no reason he wouldn’t have continued at that level. More importantly it’s about securing the asset and cap space.

When Durant left Golden State, they insisted on a sign and trade for De’Angelo Russell. Not because Russell was going to win them anything, but to prevent them from losing their cap flexibility.

The Warriors obviously later traded Russell for Wiggins, who was instrumental in winning them another championship.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 06:29:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Grant was a solid role player for us and there is no reason he wouldn’t have continued at that level. More importantly it’s about securing the asset and cap space.

When Durant left Golden State, they insisted on a sign and trade for De’Angelo Russell. Not because Russell was going to win them anything, but to prevent them from losing their cap flexibility.

The Warriors obviously later traded Russell for Wiggins, who was instrumental in winning them another championship.
Grant didn’t wasn’t to be in Boston. He wanted more money, a bigger role, and, quite frankly, a change in scenery. Cs weren’t gonna give him $15 mil per just to keep him and not play him as an 8/9th guy off the bench in hopes of trading him.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 06:54:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Would Wendell Carter have had any more of a role than Grant?  $13 million for 9th man just isn’t sensible given how invested the C’s are in their top 5.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 07:03:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Would Wendell Carter have had any more of a role than Grant? $13 million for 9th man just isn’t sensible given how invested the C’s are in their top 5.

IMO yes, Horford will be 38 in June and this could easily be his last season. If Horford retires, the Celtics will be returning weaker and with no way of replacing his skillset.

There is also no guarantee that Holiday returns next season. Carter could be used in a trade to replace him ect.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 07:42:45 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
What makes anyone think Orlando would want four years of Grant Williams on that contract over Carter? How many picks do we need to throw in to make the deal?

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 09:02:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What makes anyone think Orlando would want four years of Grant Williams on that contract over Carter? How many picks do we need to throw in to make the deal?

Yeah, that's the concern with a four year deal.  He's got negative trade value right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 11:21:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Grant makes the MLE (13.25 average), that seems about right for a 6th or 7th man which is what he is.  Now he probably doesn't have much trade value because he is a 6th or 7th man in the first year of the new contract, but I wouldn't call him over paid either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 06:32:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Grant is overrated but got lucky he played on a great Celtic team that made him look good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 07:45:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don’t end of story

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 09:21:12 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Grant makes the MLE (13.25 average), that seems about right for a 6th or 7th man which is what he is.  Now he probably doesn't have much trade value because he is a 6th or 7th man in the first year of the new contract, but I wouldn't call him over paid either.

I would.  I have never been a fan of Grants.  I think he is absolutely overpaid and should have gotten a contract that was in the 8m range.  Glad that contract is no longer the C's problem anymore.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
the Grant williams era really went downhill fast in Dallas huh?

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I guess we will see but with the new CBA restrictions, I think full non-taxpayer MLEs are going to need to be used for better than 7th/8th man players.  Each team is going to have 2-3 max or super max contracts, a couple of MLE contracts, and then all min or rookie contracts.  Even last season, very few teams could have offered Grant that contract.  The Celtics could have matched but only non-taxpaying teams could have made the offer.

A team can choose to resign a player like Grant to this amount via Bird rules, independent of the MLE, but in this case, the Celtics chose not to.  I think most teams would chose not to sign a 7th/8th guy for the equivalent of the NTP MLE.  Dallas thought he was going to be a 3rd/4th level player.  Had they understood he was really a 7th/8th player, I do not believe they make that offer.

Currently, the Celtics pay their 6th, 7th, and 8th guys $10M, $4M (soon to bump up to more like $7M), and $2M.  In coming seasons, a team like the Celtics may not even be able to pay that much.  Signing Grant also hard-capped Dallas as they used the non-tax MLE.  So to overpay and end up hard-capped, is not something smart teams are going to do for a marginal bench player.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
By various accounts, Grant is an annoying teammate. He talks too much. This works if you are a great player. If you are a replacement level player, it doesn't work... at all.

Think back to any team that you were ever on. If you had a blowhard that couldn't back up their mouth, you too would get annoyed. Basic lessons learned in middle/high school.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 11:26:23 AM by green_bballers13 »