Author Topic: Hayward's contract  (Read 1848 times)

Hayward's contract
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If i was ainge i would try this with Hayward... i would told him that the team believes in him and was by his side all the recovery time but... as an organisation we spend 60m in 2 years for a guy playing like a 5 million guy just for one... i would ask for a new contract the 65 we owe him for the next 2 years to be spread in 3... 20 20 25... it would be fair

Re: Hayward's contract
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm not sure that contracts can be re-structured in a way like NFL contracts are. The reason that Horford is essentially "re-structuring his deal" is because he actually has a player option for the final season. No one would possibly pay Horford $30 million next year, so it's a unique situation where an extension works for both sides.

Cap guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure this is an option.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If i was ainge i would try this with Hayward... i would told him that the team believes in him and was by his side all the recovery time but... as an organisation we spend 60m in 2 years for a guy playing like a 5 million guy just for one... i would ask for a new contract the 65 we owe him for the next 2 years to be spread in 3... 20 20 25... it would be fair
There is specific text in his contract that it is guaranteed against lack of skill and basketball injury. The contract anticipates that he might get hurt and the Celtics assumed that risk in plain language. Same thing with him no longer playing at a NBA level, Celtics assumed that risk.

I'm not sure why you think it would be fair to demand concessions from Hayward.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Cap guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure this is an option.
You cannot renegotiate a salary down, only up if you have the necessary space three years after it was signed or last renegotiated.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don’t think even if Hayward was willing to do that it would be allowed by cba. I think they can ask him to not pick his next year option and give him 2 yr extension starting at 60% of prior year and then 8%decrease.
So something like - $32.4M stays his current salary
2020 - $19.4M
2021- $18M

So he ends up with more total dollars. I’m not sure Celtics want him on the payroll in 2021 though

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I don't know what's fair or not in life.. i know that i would do it... my mindset... doesn't mean evryone must agree.. i would like to help an organisation that believed in me..

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
It might only be one more year with Hayward. I doubt he enjoyed last year and depending on how this year goes he could take his player option. He isn't afraid of leaving money on the table (see Utah). He wants to win.  I am probably in the minority that his 2019 portion of the season was really good after that injury and he will have a great season this year.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Keep in mind he got hurt on the job.  If your boss came to you and wanted to pay you less, you wouldn't appreciate that.   Hayward wouldn't either. 
Diggles

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What you're describing is not how these things work in the NBA.

The only thing the Celts could do is waive Hayward via the stretch provision and spread out the cap hit of his contract over a number of years.  That would not really make sense for a number of reasons.

Better to keep Hayward and try to get as much value out of him as possible.  Worst case scenario he plays at around the same level as last year making him a hugely overpaid role player / borderline starter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Good luck making this happen - "sorry Gordon you sucked we want our money back" :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Bottom line, this simply is not allowed. Even if it were Hayward would not agree, no player would. Finally it would make the Celtics look absolutely horrible to the players in the league. There are already players around the league that don't like how the Celtics handled the IT situation, despite the fact that they did not do anything wrong and it was likely the right decision from a basketball standpoint. A move like this would kill their credibility.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
There is specific text in his contract that it is guaranteed against lack of skill and basketball injury. The contract anticipates that he might get hurt and the Celtics assumed that risk in plain language. Same thing with him no longer playing at a NBA level, Celtics assumed that risk.

Gotta side with the OP here.  He should be willing to sacrifice some money for the good of the team.  It's the right thing to do.  The dude needs to be a professional about this.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Gotta side with the OP here.  He should be willing to sacrifice some money for the good of the team.  It's the right thing to do.  The dude needs to be a professional about this.

Did you ignore the rest of the posts in the thread, or are you trolling?

Giving you the benefit of the doubt:  Hayward couldn't give back the money if he wanted to.  The CBA doesn't allow it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why on earth would he do this? He got hurt on the job.

Plus teams never do players a solid like this. They do the opposite
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Why on earth would he do this? He got hurt on the job.

Plus teams never do players a solid like this. They do the opposite

I mean... They made an above average player with no playoff success the 5th highest paid player in the NBA... I'd say they did him a solid.