Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113737 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Love Luka. If the Cs got the chance to draft him and let go,of Smart, I think for a few years Luka could have a Manu Ginobelli effect for these Celtics. I think Doncic is easily the most NBA ready player in this draft and could easily be ROY. And on Boston maybe Sixth Man of the Year as well. Kid has an incredible future in this league.
From what Ive seen, this seems about right.

Irving-Doncic-Brown-Tatum-Horford would be so lethal down the stretch of games.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If the Cs somehow wind up with Doncic I will not be sad at all. I really like this kid. Amazing what he is doing for Real Madrid as a freshly turned 18 year old. His offensive game is polished (in a similar way to Tatum almost).

The thing I am worried about with him is how is athleticism translates to NBA.

« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
He's still only 18. On March 1st he'll be 19 and a day. Not sure I would take him with the 2nd pick but would strongly consider him with 3, 4 or 5 (depending on Michael Porter's status....good chance he stays in school for another year). Marvin Bagley is actually 2 weeks younger than Doncic. 2 whole weeks!

« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He's still only 18. On March 1st he'll be 19 and a day. Not sure I would take him with the 2nd pick but would strongly consider him with 3, 4 or 5 (depending on Michael Porter's status....good chance he stays in school for another year). Marvin Bagley is actually 2 weeks younger than Doncic. 2 whole weeks!
It's bonkers how young some of these guys are. It also bonkers that Doncic was starting as a 16 year old. Just nuts.

« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Love Luka. If the Cs got the chance to draft him and let go,of Smart, I think for a few years Luka could have a Manu Ginobelli effect for these Celtics. I think Doncic is easily the most NBA ready player in this draft and could easily be ROY. And on Boston maybe Sixth Man of the Year as well. Kid has an incredible future in this league.
From what Ive seen, this seems about right.

Irving-Doncic-Brown-Tatum-Horford would be so lethal down the stretch of games.

Hayward just had an injury, he didnt die you know.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Strongly agree with all three, but not much more though, he is never going to be a two way stars that worth the max, that said he is more valuable for already contending team(us) than other teams as a 6 man, it's him or bamba for me

« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:46 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRzAV1feQM&feature=youtu.be

(I can't stand this commentator, but that's another story)

« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2017, 04:15:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Its plays like this that make me question people who say he doesn't have the athleticism to make him a star in the NBA. He will be a major offensive factor straight from the start and if drafted by Boston, would buy into the Celtic defensive system and be as good as Tatum is this year.

« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2017, 05:13:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Its plays like this that make me question people who say he doesn't have the athleticism to make him a star in the NBA. He will be a major offensive factor straight from the start and if drafted by Boston, would buy into the Celtic defensive system and be as good as Tatum is this year.

Well Claver is not even an average NBA athlete. But i agree that Doncic is not that bad athlete. I don't have a magic sphere , maybe in 3 years Doncic will be the Slovenia MCW but today he is by far the most NBA ready player in the draft. His maturity is unreal for an 18y.o. (remember this is his 4 pro season and the second as star of Real Madrid)

« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

What? He crossed him up only because his handles are elite AND the floor is wet, Smart or Brown will sent this into second floor..

« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2017, 06:27:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Its plays like this that make me question people who say he doesn't have the athleticism to make him a star in the NBA

I watched your video and it does not convince me that he has or has not NBA athletic ability.  He can stop and start fast is all it showed.  He can dribble and break some one's ankles.  But it did not show definite information about his athletic ability.  Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.  He has skills but with all due respect that video does not convince me that he is a superior athlete, perhaps a skilled one.

Here is some film against NBA players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPxV4YGNa0

Not he is not blowing by them, seems hesistant to try to go past them and he is not jumping over them.  Realize that he is young in this video but guys have came straight out of high school and did well before.

Looking at other  tape of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwegadp7k8Q

You can examples of his athleticism or lack thereof on a dunk around 40 secs.  Another dunk at 1:00 mark.    The first dunk his elevation is poor, the second it is decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNE38no9Oxc

At the 2:25 mark, another dunk, its a put back.   I see a guy who is average to slighty above leaper but not superior in any way in terms of vertical leap.   That is only a small part of athletic ability though. 

Another thing is that he does not get his separation though athletic burst or speed.   He gets it through guile and craftiness.   This denotes that he is not the quickest guy. Physical domination will never be his calling card from what I have observed.

I think he has a lot of strengths.  Great court vision, enthusiasm for the game, good hand, good attitude, nice handles and nice shot.   But great athleticism is not a big strength for him.   He is simply not a super athlete.   He is athletic enough to play in the NBA, probably.  Guys can still play in the NBA without it.   What I liked about him was he was crafty, skilled and sneaky and seemed to be playing the game a few plays ahead of everyone else.  Tons of guys have made it through the league without being top notch athletes and having loads of skills.

But in all honesty, I can see why some would have some concerns about his athletic ability.  Not to mention the competition and play in the videos in terms of athletic ability.   I bet guys on the Duke team are more athletic than some of the teams in those videos.

i agree that Doncic is not that bad athlete

Yep, decent but not superior, not bad and not great.

NBA draft net has his weaknesses as:

Weaknesses: His biggest flaw is his lack of quickness and lateral speed, which affects his effectiveness in 1 on 1 defense against more explosive opponents ... Furthermore this also limits his offensive effectiveness in ISO situations when he has to rely on his body control and fakes to create the space for the shot or to draw conta

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-doncic

« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Nowadays, I am sure many would say that Larry Bird doesn't have NBA level athleticism.
Dončić now, at age of 18, is head and shoulders above what Larry was then.
Smarts, skill and great mentality - I'd take that combination in a heartbeat.
Much rather then to draft a "beast" and hope to teach him all of that.

I remember Hardens, Currys and CPs scouting reports before entering the league.
All were labeled as skilled but "will they be fast and/or strong enough to translate it to the NBA?".

Most of the time, superior skill pans out.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
He is flat out amazing.
#JKJB

« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Dončić now, at age of 18, is head and shoulders above what Larry was then.

This is pretty comical.   I doubt you seen much or early Larry Bird.   If I had a dollar for every guy you hyped up from the Euroleague that busted, I bet I could have a good night on the town with a nicedinner, a movie and a taxi for two.

There is not much tape of Bird in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8YYBqBHlg

that I am aware of, but here is some in college in 77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zmV209ews

I know he is a few years older  in 77 game but Bird was way better .