Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 605078 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1590 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
John braikis from ESPN  sports science, debunked all claims that a deflated ball would help. In fact he proved that it makes the ball travel slighty slower.
didn't they take that particular one off of espn a day later so they could continue their witch hunt without facts?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1591 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Deflated balls can definitely help in regards to grip.  For both a QB and a WR.   I didn't see that Sports Science.  Did he exactly say "deflated balls won't help" because I have a hard time believing that was the exact context?

I think problem (among dozens of other things in this case) here was that no one ever from the NFL had ever took into account the impact of the Natural Gas Law on footballs before this. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1592 on: July 24, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Deflated balls can definitely help in regards to grip.  For both a QB and a WR.   I didn't see that Sports Science.  Did he exactly say "deflated balls won't help" because I have a hard time believing that was the exact context?

I think problem (among dozens of other things in this case) here was that no one ever from the NFL had ever took into account the impact of the Natural Gas Law on footballs before this.

They definitely help, but there's no way of knowing just how much of an effect it has had on games.  Like spygate, the league supposedly destroyed the tapes before anyone saw them, so we'll never truly know how much that helped.

The one difference with deflategate is that people do technically have one stat to hold onto, and that's the fumble numbers.  The patriots have fumbled less than any other team the last 7 years, and by ALOT.  Now some people will say that it's just good coaching, because as soon as you fumble a ball on the Patriots, Belichick takes you out.  Others will say it's because of deflated footballs.

But one thing's for certain for this upcoming season...the Pats CANNOT start fumbling the ball.  That will be the ultimate ammo for Patriot haters.  This team can go 4-12 this year because of a terrible secondary or injuries stacking up...but the one thing that can't happen is for them to start fumbling the ball.

« Reply #1593 on: July 24, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Wait, someone here thought it was plausible that an equipment guy would deflate footballs AT THE SIDELINES during a game? Have you noticed how many cameras there are out there during a football game? How many players and team officials and players from the opposite team? If the Patriots were doing that, there would have been zero need for the Colts to tip the league. Please.

i actually read an interview from an equipment manager at a major college FB program, he said they do all sorts of illegal stuff to the balls on the sidelines, but nobody cares, just don't be blatant about it. matt leinart said the same thing.

this is literally only an issue because it's the pats.

the league doesn't care about he integrity of the game (otherwise they wouldn't have locked out their refs over $1M in a $10B league a couple years back). this is about goodell saving face, and jealous owners, fans, and players getting their shots in on belichick and brady.

yes, BB is a jerk. and yes, brady is an OCD pretty boy. but this story tells me more about the bloodthirsty, knuckle-dragging NFL owners and fans than anything else. no league has worse, less knowledgeable fans than the NFL.

« Reply #1594 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They really help in the cold too.

« Reply #1595 on: July 24, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Why is Brady and his legal team being so quiet on this? That is what I want to know. I believe Kessler could have gone on the TV circuit and really have changed public opinion on Deflategate. Clearly, the science of the Wells Report is faulty. Consensus among independent scientist is that it is impossible to conclude that anyone intentionally released air from the footballs. Given that fact alone all the rest of the so called evidence (texts and potty breaks) cannot prove guilt.

« Reply #1596 on: July 24, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why is Brady and his legal team being so quiet on this? That is what I want to know. I believe Kessler could have gone on the TV circuit and really have changed public opinion on Deflategate. Clearly, the science of the Wells Report is faulty. Consensus among independent scientist is that it is impossible to conclude that anyone intentionally released air from the footballs. Given that fact alone all the rest of the so called evidence (texts and potty breaks) cannot prove guilt.
Kessler's job is not to change public opinion, it's to get the best outcome for his client.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1597 on: July 24, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kessler's job is not to change public opinion, it's to get the best outcome for his client.

There's really no way to change public opinion on this too.  Mort's report back in January & the NFL's silence on refuting it just through fuel on an existing fire.

Outside of 5 & a half states, there was already a lot of existing hatred for them.  There was gonna be no benefit of the doubt there.

Although, I have seen the amount of hatred for Goodell rise quite a bit through this too which is nice to see.

« Reply #1598 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

They definitely help, but there's no way of knowing just how much of an effect it has had on games.  Like spygate, the league supposedly destroyed the tapes before anyone saw them, so we'll never truly know how much that helped.

The one difference with deflategate is that people do technically have one stat to hold onto, and that's the fumble numbers.  The patriots have fumbled less than any other team the last 7 years, and by ALOT.  Now some people will say that it's just good coaching, because as soon as you fumble a ball on the Patriots, Belichick takes you out.  Others will say it's because of deflated footballs.

But one thing's for certain for this upcoming season...the Pats CANNOT start fumbling the ball.  That will be the ultimate ammo for Patriot haters.  This team can go 4-12 this year because of a terrible secondary or injuries stacking up...but the one thing that can't happen is for them to start fumbling the ball.

Here's the thing, at worst the balls were only deflated by 3 to 4 tenths of a psi, assuming the head ref incorrectly remembered which gauge he used just a few hours after measuring over fifty footballs, which coincidentally is the calibration difference between the two gauges.  2 psi as initially falsely reported may make it slightly easier, but I don't think anyone is going to say 3 to 4 tenths of a psi is any meaningful advantage.  The air pressure changes that much with only a 6 to 8 degree F temperature change.  It's insignificant.

As far as the fumbling stats, that's pretty much been debunked.  http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-those-statistics-about-the-patriots-fumbles-are-mos-1681805710

« Reply #1599 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
4 game suspension upheld (per pretty much everyone on Twitter at the moment).

Looks like this is off to the courts now....

« Reply #1600 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What a joke.

See ya in court, Goodell.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1601 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reportedly, Brady destroyed his cell phone (or ordered someone to) rather than hand it over.

« Reply #1602 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

I am kind of pumped about a court room showdown!

« Reply #1603 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Makes sense.  If NFLPA was going to court, barring total reversal, reducing the suspension on appeal would I think only weaken the NFL's position.  No reason not to double down.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:52:03 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #1604 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
What I'm guessing happened is that Goodell offered to reduce the suspension,, but Brady's camp said anything more than a fine would lead to a court show down. So rather than reduce the suspension and then lose in court, he decided to just uphold the suspension. Now Goodell can pretend he stuck to his guns and be absolved of blame if the court over turns the decision.

He's the ultimate pass the buck man.