Author Topic: Look on the bright side  (Read 8378 times)

Look on the bright side
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm one of those that was on the fence initially about tanking or not.  I would love a top five pick but getting in position to get one means that the team isn't very good. That the team lacks talent. That he team lacks heart.

Well, being a middle of ghe road team, albeit in a horrible conference, means we have some talent.  So it's not all bad.

Re: Look on the bright side
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm one of those that was on the fence initially about tanking or not.  I would love a top five pick but getting in position to get one means that the team isn't very good. That the team lacks talent. That he team lacks heart.

Well, being a middle of ghe road team, albeit in a horrible conference, means we have some talent.  So it's not all bad.

I was looking forward to a franchise-draft tank. But I'm thoroughly enjoying the development of the C's players and coach.

It's a path that probably will require Danny to tweak his game plan, but it's nice to see the individual results, with a new culture taking hold.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If we get a lottery pick that's fine......but if this team puts the work in and compete s. every night ,  all I can do is support them . 

I'm enjoying the effort on the court ,  never quit attitude .

The Celtics may not have elite talent ,  but their games are better than the trash Bobcats , Raptors , etc......from those sucky teams from years past.

Nets have a horrible product.     Star names ......very hollow .......no substance ...poor basketball to watch

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
It's a path that probably will require Danny to tweak his game plan, but it's nice to see the individual results, with a new culture taking hold.

Yeah, I am thinking Danny didnt expect to be ahead of at least the Knicks and Nets at this stage of the season. Even saying he 'wasnt/isnt' tanking the team has to have exceeded expectations.

Still there are 60 games to go and a lot can happen. I cant help but wonder how much better we can be with a healthy Rondo and a healthy Olynyk with 40 or so more games under his belt.

Of course the game last nite with Denver could be a fluke, right? Maybe we caught them flat or they didnt take us seriously, who knows. I tend to believe that Stevens had everyone ready and we took it to them.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:56:31 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If we get a lottery pick that's fine......but if this team puts the work in and compete s. every night ,  all I can do is support them . 

I'm enjoying the effort on the court ,  never quit attitude .

The Celtics may not have elite talent ,  but their games are better than the trash Bobcats , Raptors , etc......from those sucky teams from years past.

Nets have a horrible product.     Star names ......very hollow .......no substance ...poor basketball to watch

This is my feeling also. I think even if we pick just outside the lottery we can get a nice player. There are going to be a couple of guys drop in this draft anyway due to injury, playing out of position and national college coverage. There are also a couple coming out a year too early that will be needing development.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I was hoping this team could get a nice lottery pick, but they keep winning and they keep surprising me. So what the heck, lets see what they can do. If they are for real, they will put together some nice winning streaks. If they are a fluke, they will win one, lose one, win one etc. That's what mediocre teams do. I don't want this team to be mediocre. I either want them to be good or bad. I still can't figure out what they are yet.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
we're playing 500 ball over the last seven games!
10 reasons to be optimistic

1:Our best player has yet to take the floor
2:Bradley has shot his way into a rhythm and is a consistently better offensive player this season.
3: Crawford is proving himself more than serviceable and should fill the role of first guard off the bench when rondo returns
4: green is a quality 2nd option with above average defensive skills
5: sully is going to be a force
6: bass is so much better then I want to admit
7: fav and oly are serviceable back ups now and have potential to be above average
8: between bass, hump, lee, bogans, fav, oly, picks, the TE (and for the right price  green/ sully) we have the pieces to acquire a centerpiece to kickstart the rebuild.
9: there are good centers on the market!
10: we have a ton of picks over the next few years to fill in the gaps.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celtics do have some talent on the team.

Here's the thing -- if the Cs were in the West, or if the East were not so abysmal, the Celtics would have the talent for 25-30 wins, which would net them a top 10 pick.

This season, in this Eastern Conference, they might have enough talent to finish with 35+ wins.  They might end up with a pick in the 13-15 range.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I enjoyed watching the Cs last night. Crawford in particular. That is all.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I enjoyed watching the Cs last night. Crawford in particular. That is all.

I'll second this.  I kept waiting for the Nuggets to storm back, and a couple times it appeared that they would.

But it was fun watching the Celtics play well and down the Nuggets with some hot shooting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If the season ended today, the Celtics would have picks #15 and #20, but also home-court advantage in the first round with a matchup against Detroit.  If the C's win the division, they could make it to the second round of the playoffs this year, due to home-court advantage and a fellow mediocre opponent in round 1.  I'd be perfectly fine with making the second round of the playoffs in a rebuilding year.  And I'd love to see Rondo in round 2 vs. the Pacers or Heat, especially the Heat.  Doubt we'd win, but we could steal a couple games.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Well it is now too late to tank so Danny's job just got harder. Here's hoping sully and Olynk develop well and Danny can make some trades, maybe move up in the draft. Really would've loved to see Jabari on this team for next 10 years.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If the season ended today, the Celtics would have picks #15 and #20, but also home-court advantage in the first round with a matchup against Detroit.  If the C's win the division, they could make it to the second round of the playoffs this year, due to home-court advantage and a fellow mediocre opponent in round 1.  I'd be perfectly fine with making the second round of the playoffs in a rebuilding year.  And I'd love to see Rondo in round 2 vs. the Pacers or Heat, especially the Heat.  Doubt we'd win, but we could steal a couple games.

If not mistaken winning the Division doesn't give you home-court advantage, something to look up somewhere.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If not mistaken winning the Division doesn't give you home-court advantage, something to look up somewhere.

It does give you some seeding advantage, doesn't it? I don't think you can win the division and end up 8th seed.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It does give you some seeding advantage, doesn't it? I don't think you can win the division and end up 8th seed.

They'd be the 4 seed.  I know they changed the rule around a little so that you wouldn't be the third seed, but I still think you get some seeding advantage.  Wikipedia agrees with me.

The three division champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records. This guarantees the division champions no worse than the fourth seed, and also guarantees the conference's two best teams (by record) will be the top two seeds even if the second-best team doesn't win its division.