Author Topic: That Anthony Parker 3 Pointer Counts  (Read 5846 times)

Re: That Anthony Parker 3 Pointer Counts
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is no way that the call could be overturned. The clock started when the ref signaled Parker touched the ball. Late or not, that's how it worked and that's how it stands.

Plus, I really wouldn't blame the game on Garnett missing free throws... I mean we were up 11 towards the end of the third quarter. From there out you just have to match the Cavs bucket for bucket. The C's are and always have been terrible at closing out games. Once you have a lead, it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to win the game... I mean, look what happened in game 7.
Agree on all points, though I wouldn't agree with the Celtics "always" having been terrible closing out games. That is more something from last year.

Every team that gets big leads sometimes loses them. We may be more prone to that due to age and due to the initial intensity of people like KG.

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Clearly it was more than one full second, but shot clocks are not measured in tenths of a second, so there could have been 1.9 seconds left on the clock (even though at that I would think the clock would have still showed 2 seconds). to do?
You're wrong on this one, if the shot clock showed 1 it was between .1-1.00 seconds remaining. If 1.1-2.00 seconds were left it would show 2.

It was the lag in human reaction that allowed Parker to get that shot off, nothing more. Nothing to do about it either, its impossible to accurately time such things using humans. Human reaction time does not percieve tenths of seconds accurately.

That isnt quite true, you would be amazed at what a human being can do with internal timing.

Take fx.. fighting games like Tekken & Street Fighter they have "combos" (a set of moves done to "chain" together) some of them are done by 3-4 button presses that has to be pressed within 1 frame, that means 1/60 of a second. And if you miss that frame the move wont "combo".

I've seen kids hit this continuesly, like i was nothing! this isnt nit picking.. im just saying, you would be amazed at what a human brain can do.

Edit: Just to clearify what i mean..

If you think of a person pressing a button (any button) you can train your brain to hit that very same button at any amount of "tenths of a second" later and with enough practice, its possible to never miss that tenth of a second
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Clearly it was more than one full second, but shot clocks are not measured in tenths of a second, so there could have been 1.9 seconds left on the clock (even though at that I would think the clock would have still showed 2 seconds). to do?
You're wrong on this one, if the shot clock showed 1 it was between .1-1.00 seconds remaining. If 1.1-2.00 seconds were left it would show 2.

It was the lag in human reaction that allowed Parker to get that shot off, nothing more. Nothing to do about it either, its impossible to accurately time such things using humans. Human reaction time does not percieve tenths of seconds accurately.

That isnt quite true, you would be amazed at what a human being can do with internal timing.

Take fx.. fighting games like Tekken & Street Fighter they have "combos" (a set of moves done to "chain" together) some of them are done by 3-4 button presses that has to be pressed within 1 frame, that means 1/60 of a second. And if you miss that frame the move wont "combo".

I've seen kids hit this continuesly, like i was nothing! this isnt nit picking.. im just saying, you would be amazed at what a human brain can do.
Studies with regards to timing have shown that humans can not time events accurately at that level. I believe it was these studies that lead to the current olympic timing systems.

Video game combo's are often a matter of anticipation and rhythm, rather than reaction to stimuli.

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think what your talking about, is can a avarage human being react and time something without training to a tenth of a second? i doubt it.

But from my understanding i should be possible to time something internaly with only using your brain to a tenth of a second, given enough time to prepare.

Does this hold any value to argument regarding the issue at hand here? absolutly not.. its just a mythbusters kind of thing, useless information but still possible.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think what your talking about, is can a avarage human being react and time something without training to a tenth of a second? i doubt it.

But from my understanding i should be possible to time something internaly with only using your brain to a tenth of a second, given enough time to prepare.

Does this hold any value to argument regarding the issue at hand here? absolutly not.. its just a mythbusters kind of thing, useless information but still possible.
I'm pretty sure physically its just not possible.

link
link

Our brains take 1/10th of a second just to construct and image for us to even see. Add to that tenth of a second the time it takes to actually press a button? Accuracy becomes impossible for humans.

What our brains actually do is a series of projections and other anticipatory tricks. Its not special training to allow for timing in tenths of seconds, rather its special training that allows humans to anticipate.