Author Topic: Celtics/Jazz trade idea  (Read 3251 times)

Re: Celtics/Jazz trade idea
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Just a reminder that Olynyk and Vanderbilt are both full-time starters for Utah, with an additional year on both their contracts remaining, and they're both good fits with Lauri. Either is going to command a premium from Ainge, these aren't spare-parts-buy-low opportunities. Any trade talks likey start at the 2025 first and go from there, and salary matching on Olynyk is inconvenient.

Olynyk is only a starter because Ainge is shopping him.  He will be on the bench after the All-Star game has passed.

Yea, he's shopping him for an additional first. If Ainge didn't want Olynyk's money on the books for next year he wouldn't have flipped Bogdanovic's expiring contract for him in the first place.

Also, wouldn't be so sure he's due for a drastic decrease in minutes. Olynyk certainly isn't the future in Utah, but Markkanen's turned into a possible all-star being flanked by Olynyk and Vanderbilt. Not convinced they mess with that if no deals shake out.

Walker Kessler will start after the break.  He’s also not getting a 1st for Olynyk unless he takes on bad salary with it.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 10:03:36 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just a reminder that Olynyk and Vanderbilt are both full-time starters for Utah, with an additional year on both their contracts remaining, and they're both good fits with Lauri. Either is going to command a premium from Ainge, these aren't spare-parts-buy-low opportunities. Any trade talks likey start at the 2025 first and go from there, and salary matching on Olynyk is inconvenient.

Olynyk is only a starter because Ainge is shopping him.  He will be on the bench after the All-Star game has passed.

Yea, he's shopping him for an additional first. If Ainge didn't want Olynyk's money on the books for next year he wouldn't have flipped Bogdanovic's expiring contract for him in the first place.

Also, wouldn't be so sure he's due for a drastic decrease in minutes. Olynyk certainly isn't the future in Utah, but Markkanen's turned into a possible all-star being flanked by Olynyk and Vanderbilt. Not convinced they mess with that if no deals shake out.

Walker Kessler will start after the break.  He’s also not getting a 1st for Olynyk unless he takes on bad salary with it.

I mean, maybe or maybe not, but Kessler's a zero from outside and Vanderbilt's a career 27% three-point shooter while Olynyk's shooting above 40% from three this year. Kelly's going to play significant minutes for Utah for as long as he's on the roster this year.

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think KO would cost to much for the C's.  The player I'd like for depth purposes and developmental purposes is Jalen Smith from Indy.  He's signed for a modest 4.6 this year, 5 next year and the following year is a PO.  He's shown some talent this year but needs some development.  He was starting in Indy then was benched.  pending what they do with Turner now that they are in the mix for the playoffs He'd be a guy I'd like.  They have Jackson developing in the Gleague and if they keep turner he'd be expendable. 

Right now the C's need pieces to get them to the playoffs. once the playoffs are here they have their rotation.  I can't see any deals out there that would upgrade the rotation.  They need a big to keep rob and al healthy. 

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The player I'd like for depth purposes and developmental purposes is Jalen Smith from Indy.  He's signed for a modest 4.6 this year, 5 next year and the following year is a PO.  He's shown some talent this year but needs some development.  He was starting in Indy then was benched

He was "benched" in the sense that he was moved out of the starting lineup, but he's still an every-night rotation player for a playoff team.

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2023, 11:44:11 AM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
A couple things on KO.  Olynyk is only guaranteed 3 million next year.  On Sunday he re-sprained the same ankle that he sprained in mid December and missed 4 games.  He likely will be out longer this time.

The C's should have no interest in Clarkson as there is no need. 

Vanderbilt is tough to evaluate but trading Grant for him in my opinion would not be an upgrade.  His fit in Utah has not been great and his fit with the C's would be the same.  He doesn't fit with Kessler nor would he fit next to Timelord in Boston.  Being paired with Olynyk or Horford I don't like either as it just affords the opposition for their centers to guard someone who they do not have to defend out to the 3 pt. line. Vanderbilt also cannot defend the center position at all.